Who ya got?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got?

On 11/18/2017 at 8:30 AM, DawgNation2015 said:

While your looking at Maxpreps, look at Brazosport’s 2007-2016 records & schedule.  They have been a non factor until this year.  I believe this is the best season they have ever had.  They remind me a lot of Palestine.  Duel threat QB who can run & a speedy RB who has over 1,500 yards rushing on the season.

This is probably the best team they have had in the last 15-20 years. No where near their best team ever. 

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

This is probably the best team they have had in the last 15-20 years. No where near their best team ever. 

1964-1968 were probably the high water mark ... after that, Brazoswood was invented ....

23 hours ago, DOB said:

1964-1968 were probably the high water mark ... after that, Brazoswood was invented ....

Yeah, my old man played there in 63-64. I remember a couple of good teams in the late 80's or early 90's. Since then not much.... They obviously have some talent, the Basketball team made it to the State tournament last year.

2 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Yeah, my old man played there in 63-64. I remember a couple of good teams in the late 80's or early 90's. Since then not much.... They obviously have some talent, the Basketball team made it to the State tournament last year.

I played in 67 and 68 ... most of the coaching staff was the same ... several with ET connections - Head Coach Harden Cooper was from Mineola; played at Kilgore College and Tulsa; was HC at Mineola for a couple of years before joining the staff at Baylor ... Backfield Coach Bobby Peters was from Van; starred at RB with Baylor ... Murl Furney was from Sulphur Springs ... played at East Texas State (Commerce) ... a few years ago he was voted into the Sulphur Springs Sports HOF

• Like 1

https://www.texanlive.com/

Although I have no experience with the site, I'm gonna throw this out here for informational purposes since the BP-Carthage game is on it's scheduled list for broadcast this week.

It is apparent that it involves some cost ... although seemingly nominal on the surface.

There are also some limitations.

But if you can't make it to the game, it might be worth checking in to ....

3 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Brazosport Exporters sounds scary. I mean who comes up with this back in the day

Been around a good while .... was carried by Freeport High School as far back as early WWII or slightly before ... they began playing football in the early to mid-1920's ... Freeport HS in the Fifties joined as Brazosport HS with Freeport, Lake Jackson, and Clute (they split in the fall of 1969 into Brazosport (Freeport) and Brazoswood (Lake Jackson and Clute)... the name Exporters probably came as a spin-off from the old Beaumont Exporters, a Texas League baseball team, which changed their mascot/nickname from the Oilers to the Exporters in 1920.  Obviously it was in relationship to area's role as a major port on the Gulf.  In later years, they were commonly and often referred to as the "Ships" and "Shippers" ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAWG91 said:

Nothing strikes fear in the opposition like knowing you've got a bunch of exporters headed your way 😁

Way better than "Importers" .... contributes to the trade deficit and costs Bulldawgs their jobs

I enjoyed my high school playing days there ... proud to have graduated from there  ... super coaches ... and got a really good education.

But being born in East Texas, living 90%+  of my life in ET, coaching and teaching 40 years in ET ... it's kind like my Mother usta say about her ET kinfolks:

"When they cut themselves shaving, they bleed red dirt and green pines"

And when you live in the heart of East Texas ... and you're a dyed-in-the-wool HS football fan ... you learn real quick that you shouldn't waste your hard earned money betting against Surratt and the Red Dawgs ... cause there just ain't no money to be made in doing so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DOB said:

Been around a good while .... was carried by Freeport High School as far back as early WWII or slightly before ... they began playing football in the early to mid-1920's ... Freeport HS in the Fifties joined as Brazosport HS with Freeport, Lake Jackson, and Clute (they split in the fall of 1969 into Brazosport (Freeport) and Brazoswood (Lake Jackson and Clute)... the name Exporters probably came as a spin-off from the old Beaumont Exporters, a Texas League baseball team, which changed their mascot/nickname from the Oilers to the Exporters in 1920.  Obviously it was in relationship to area's role as a major port on the Gulf.  In later years, they were commonly and often referred to as the "Ships" and "Shippers" ...

It is worth noting that Dow Chemical has an enormous plant there. That plant is what built Freeport, lake Jackson, & Clute and what drives the entire economy down there.

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself here, but im a spoiled rotten bulldog football fan.  Was happy to have just 1 title.  Now we have 5 and are odds on favs to win #6.  As far as i'm concerned it's all gravy and cherries on top at this point.  Yep.  Spoiled rotten lol

• Like 1

Just now, Stankylegg said:

It is worth noting that Dow Chemical has an enormous plant there. That plant is what built Freeport, lake Jackson, & Clute and what drives the entire economy down there.

Unless you've lived there, you have no idea how true that statement IS 

Just now, DOB said:

Unless you've lived there, you have no idea how true that statement IS 

I Have family that lived on 322 just outside lake Jackson about a mile past the buffalo camp bayou. worked for daddy Dow and lived there when the company developed the town back in the 40’s for their workers.   Lake Jackson is also Where buc-ees is headquartered and where their first store is located.  The singer Selena was from Lake Jackson. Dr.  Ron Paul still lives down there just down 322 from my families house.   Most of the streets are named after plants and they all end in way and there isn’t a one that’s straight. 

9 minutes ago, Stankylegg said:

I Have family that lived on 322 just outside lake Jackson about a mile past the buffalo camp bayou. worked for daddy Dow and lived there when the company developed the town back in the 40’s for their workers.   Lake Jackson is also Where buc-ees is headquartered and where their first store is located.  The singer Selena was from Lake Jackson. Dr.  Ron Paul still lives down there just down 322 from my families house.   Most of the streets are named after plants and they all end in way and there isn’t a one that’s straight. 

Back in the Sixties, it was hard to find a single household that didn't have at least one member of the family who was employed by Dow ... tree and flower street ran across and the This Way and That Way streets all ran in circles ... and the weird part is that there was not one Stop Sign in Lake Jackson - they were all Yield signs.

7 minutes ago, DOB said:

Back in the Sixties, it was hard to find a single household that didn't have at least one member of the family who was employed by Dow ... tree and flower street ran across and the This Way and That Way streets all ran in circles ... and the weird part is that there was not one Stop Sign in Lake Jackson - they were all Yield signs.

Was the dairy bar around back then?  I still love getting their flavor of the day.