Thanksgiving Food Shockers

Stoney

Coworker told me today that her family doesn't do mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving. What???? "It's an everyday food" was her reply. Mashed potatoes make up the holy trinity of the leftover sandwich- turkey/ham, dressing and mashed potatoes. How do you not do them? I can get not everybody being down with pink fluff, sweet potato casserole, green bean anything but mashed taters? Ain't right. Anybody else have any foods they don't do or like for Thanksgiving?

Some people make that sandwich with stuffing, turkey, and cranberry sauce.

Mashed potatoes are good, but there are different "styles" of them.

I also occasionally like to change things up. Like if I make mashed potatoes one year, I might make risotto the next year.

7 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Coworker told me today that her family doesn't do mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving. What???? "It's an everyday food" was her reply. Mashed potatoes make up the holy trinity of the leftover sandwich- turkey/ham, dressing and mashed potatoes. How do you not do them? I can get not everybody being down with pink fluff, sweet potato casserole, green bean anything but mashed taters? Ain't right. Anybody else have any foods they don't do or like for Thanksgiving?

We only eat Sweet taters at Thanksgiving around the CarthDawg77 household... & That's usually in a sweet tater pie...😜

10 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

I'm with you Stoney, got to have mash taters.  My wife makes the best gravy ever on Thanksgiving (learned from my mom lol).  Put them taters on that plate and drowned them with that gravy.  Tablespoon ain't big enough but my wife won't let me bring a shovel to the table.

Cooks turkey in a bag.  Makes thick brown gravy out of all that juice - couple of bullion cubes.  Gotta stop and wipe my face - slobber dripping off my chin just thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm done with cooking Turkey, and have been since 2011.  It's just two of us, and I get tired of the leftovers.  Heck, it usually lasts until January for almost every day.  I did used to go to Furr's on 45, because they had a great buffet on Thanksgiving, but they shut down for some reason.  Now, I either go if invited to a friends house or to Luby's to get my one day turkey fix in.  I've never been big on green bean casserole or any casserole for that matter.  I don't eat giblet gravy anymore, because it doesn't taste as good as what my Momma used to make.  Here's was great.  I try and keep it simple but for Thanksgiving I like turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, French cut green beans, and King's Hawaiin rolls. I used to like the Brown and Serve rolls back in the day, but after I found out about those.  Those are my goto.  I always like to cook a pizza that night for either football games or movies depending on who's playing now.   

• Like 1

Give me dressing with cranberry sauce and giblet gravy( you marry a woman that can make it). Broccoli cheese casserole. Mashed potatoes with brown gravy ( the only time of year that cream gravy won't due). Deviled eggs. We've got into these Sister Shubert yeast rolls from Sam's the past couple years. Green beans. Pink stuff ( its marshmallows, I think pecans and whatever makes it neon pink. Nothing healthy about it.) Sweet tater pie. I'm picky with pecan pie. You get holdt of one that's under cooked and gooey or over cooked and like eating a brick. That's Thanksgiving to me. I'm a sides guy more than turkey or ham.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of leftover turkey, ever couple of years, my wife will make gumbo out of the leftovers.  Makes a pretty rich gumbo.  Don't know of anyone else that does it, but thot I'd pass it on.  After eating a Holiday meal, a good gumbo is a great change.

Fyi, here it is almost 10pm and I'm hungry talking about this.  I'm hopeless.

13 hours ago, REBgp said:

Speaking of leftover turkey, ever couple of years, my wife will make gumbo out of the leftovers.  Makes a pretty rich gumbo.  Don't know of anyone else that does it, but thot I'd pass it on.  After eating a Holiday meal, a good gumbo is a great change.

Fyi, here it is almost 10pm and I'm hungry talking about this.  I'm hopeless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 7:52 PM, harrier said:

Does anyone make real mashed potatoes anymore? I'm talking the kind with some small chunks of potato in them not the whipped cream type food joints pass off as mashed potatoes. Disgusting!

I Do!👌 I love home made mashed taters with little lumps in them!👍🏼

On 12/4/2017 at 7:52 PM, harrier said:

Does anyone make real mashed potatoes anymore? I'm talking the kind with some small chunks of potato in them not the whipped cream type food joints pass off as mashed potatoes. Disgusting!

I like them like that.  Luby's are like that, but they make them with some spice that makes them not taste right.  I like mine made with milk and then add extra butter and cheddar cheese.  I don't mind Church's mashed potatoes with their gravy.  I can't stand KFC's or Popeye's.  What's strange to me though it's cheaper to buy a breast than it is the mashed potatoes.  Somethings wrong with that.  I think they should be just a $1 instead of $2.39.