Celina vs Pleasant Grove

orangethunder1

9 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

What’s up with giving up almost 400 yards rushing to Aubrey?

Garbage time yards mostly Alrhough I will say Aubrey had some success against the PG starters up the middle. 

There was drives in the 4th qtr where Aubrey started at their 20 yard line or greater that they rushed for touchdowns against the freshman and JV players from PG. I believe 3 of the drives were an average of 70 yrds

42 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

What’s up with giving up almost 400 yards rushing to Aubrey?

Looking at the stats this morning (if they're accurate), PG Only had 27 offensive plays for about 530 yards and Aubrey had 84 offensive plays for about 400. Basically,  PG gave up yards because the D was on the field so long. Also, many second and third teamers played in the second half. 

OK...I've got into a habit of mostly scrolling through the Tatum posts but...

The playoffs aren't anything new to the Hawks. We moved in a couple of years ago and we LIVE here now. We aren't going anywhere. I believe Tatum showed our QB some pressure and he gained some valuable experience. He proved that he can learn from situations and become better every week. He is not new to pressure situations. Since he was little, in baseball, football, recess dodgeball, you could always count on Ben to make the play when it counts. These boys thrive on pressure and they can put pressure on their opponents at will...offensively and defensively. Celina is just another name to cross off the list. Last week showed we can play as close to perfect as we can get. We need to tighten some things up and get ready to put Celina in their place. This year we won't have to worry about any outside forces...we decisively win this battle.

It's always easier to have some bravado as a fan when your team is winning decisively each week against the schedule.  But then comes the playoffs, and what happened even several weeks ago no longer matters.......it's a single elimination tournament where anything and everything that happens on that field counts.  Celina is by no means a cream puff or cupcake like many here obviously think.......just sayin'.  They do have some weaknesses that have been exposed, but have also had time to work on those.  I would say right now Celina is a very dangerous team to face for the kind of offensive sets that PG runs.  Argyle is a much better passing team than PG, and Celina stayed in the game with us.  And that was early in the season......do you think they suddenly got worse since then???  I'm picking Celina in an eye-opening upset in this game......even though I had PG advancing in my Brackets. I know one thing is for sure......PG will NOT dominate Celina on the lines.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PGDad said:

OK...I've got into a habit of mostly scrolling through the Tatum posts but...

The playoffs aren't anything new to the Hawks. We moved in a couple of years ago and we LIVE here now. We aren't going anywhere. I believe Tatum showed our QB some pressure and he gained some valuable experience. He proved that he can learn from situations and become better every week. He is not new to pressure situations. Since he was little, in baseball, football, recess dodgeball, you could always count on Ben to make the play when it counts. These boys thrive on pressure and they can put pressure on their opponents at will...offensively and defensively. Celina is just another name to cross off the list. Last week showed we can play as close to perfect as we can get. We need to tighten some things up and get ready to put Celina in their place. This year we won't have to worry about any outside forces...we decisively win this battle.

Lol, maybe one more decent year then a big fall off.

11 hours ago, DOB said:

Gosh ... I was looking at numbers this morning.

In a snapshot year where it appears many ET schools are losing numbers ...

it appears I found where they are going (sic) ... or the Metroplex burbs are expanding out.

Celina: Last go-round was 697 ... they turned in 797 this snapshot ... net gain +100

Melissa: Last go-round was 659 ... they turned in 827 this time ... net gain +168

Nothing like having two teams in the 4A-D2 playoffs in the region this time who really could belong in the 4A-D1 ...

interesting ... must be attractive communities

I heard Melissa was building a new multi level high school that would hold 3500 students. The Frisco, Prosper, McKinney, Melissa area are booming and continuing to move north/northeast. Melissa is moving up to Div I, but it doesn't look like they will stay there long. Looks like they will be another Southlake Carroll moving up through the divisions.

PG gets their revenge

FRISCO — Aubrey knew it had its hands full entering Friday afternoon's game against Texarkana Pleasant Grove.

The Eagles (12-0) came in unbeaten on the year and had played in only three games decided by fewer than 14 points.

Even so, the Chaparrals (8-4) got off to a picture-perfect start by marching 89 yards in 7:33 to open the game. Things derailed from there, though, as Pleasant Grove scored on all eight of its possessions en route to a 56-28 win in a Class 4A Division II area-round playoff game.

"I was proud of our efforts obviously," Aubrey coach Keith Ivy said. "They need to hold their heads high in the way they attacked it and got after it. Anytime you lose and your season is over, it's tough to stomach — but at the same time, I'm proud of them."

Aubrey took its time on the opening possession, following its game plan by chewing up as much clock as possible. Spencer Neumann put the finishing touches on the 16-play drive by carrying the ball into the end zone from two yards out on a fourth-and-goal for the Chaparrals.

Neumann finished with a team-high 129 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries.

"We had it in our mind that we could beat them," Neumann said. "That first drive kind of showed that confidence. I was glad I was able to get in the end zone in my last game."

But things quickly went south for Aubrey.

Pleasant Grove's speed on both sides of the ball gave the team a clear advantage over the Chaparrals and enabled it to blow the game open in a hurry. The Hawks scored 28 in a row in the first half to take a 28-7 lead at the break.

By loading the box and going with a man-to-man look defensively, Pleasant Grove forced Aubrey to try to move the ball through the air while letting its talented defense make plays.

Caleb Porchia and Texas Tech commit Xavier Benson made life hard on Swarbrick after two early completions and as the Chaparrals had 11 consecutive incomplete passes at one point in the game.

"They were in man coverage with us, and we were having trouble getting open at times," Ivy said. "We missed a few throws and missed a few catches."

Pleasant Grove put speedy running back Chauncey Martin to work early before turning to quarterback Ben Harmon in the red zone. Martin rushed for 157 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries while Harmon completed all seven of his passes for 155 yards and three touchdowns.

"Melissa was fast, but this was the fastest team we've played overall," Ivy said. "They have a chance to make a deep, deep run."

The Hawks advance to take on Celina in a regional semifinal matchup next week while Aubrey exits the playoffs in the second round for the third straight year.

It was a disappointing end to the year for the Chaparrals, but the team showed a lot of perseverance after losing Division 1 commits Gatlin Grisso (Washington State) and Jordan Redfearn (North Texas) to knee injuries early in the season.

"The senior group has been special for us," Ivy said. "They've won more football games the last three years (23) than anybody in Aubrey's history. They had to fight through a lot of adversity this year, and they never let that get them down. Very proud of them."

18 hours ago, 1utexfan said:

FRISCO — Aubrey knew it had its hands full entering Friday afternoon's game against Texarkana Pleasant Grove.

The Eagles (12-0) came in unbeaten on the year and had played in only three games decided by fewer than 14 points.

Even so, the Chaparrals (8-4) got off to a picture-perfect start by marching 89 yards in 7:33 to open the game. Things derailed from there, though, as Pleasant Grove scored on all eight of its possessions en route to a 56-28 win in a Class 4A Division II area-round playoff game.

"I was proud of our efforts obviously," Aubrey coach Keith Ivy said. "They need to hold their heads high in the way they attacked it and got after it. Anytime you lose and your season is over, it's tough to stomach — but at the same time, I'm proud of them."

Aubrey took its time on the opening possession, following its game plan by chewing up as much clock as possible. Spencer Neumann put the finishing touches on the 16-play drive by carrying the ball into the end zone from two yards out on a fourth-and-goal for the Chaparrals.

Neumann finished with a team-high 129 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries.

"We had it in our mind that we could beat them," Neumann said. "That first drive kind of showed that confidence. I was glad I was able to get in the end zone in my last game."

But things quickly went south for Aubrey.

Pleasant Grove's speed on both sides of the ball gave the team a clear advantage over the Chaparrals and enabled it to blow the game open in a hurry. The Hawks scored 28 in a row in the first half to take a 28-7 lead at the break.

By loading the box and going with a man-to-man look defensively, Pleasant Grove forced Aubrey to try to move the ball through the air while letting its talented defense make plays.

Caleb Porchia and Texas Tech commit Xavier Benson made life hard on Swarbrick after two early completions and as the Chaparrals had 11 consecutive incomplete passes at one point in the game.

"They were in man coverage with us, and we were having trouble getting open at times," Ivy said. "We missed a few throws and missed a few catches."

Pleasant Grove put speedy running back Chauncey Martin to work early before turning to quarterback Ben Harmon in the red zone. Martin rushed for 157 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries while Harmon completed all seven of his passes for 155 yards and three touchdowns.

"Melissa was fast, but this was the fastest team we've played overall," Ivy said. "They have a chance to make a deep, deep run."

The Hawks advance to take on Celina in a regional semifinal matchup next week while Aubrey exits the playoffs in the second round for the third straight year.

It was a disappointing end to the year for the Chaparrals, but the team showed a lot of perseverance after losing Division 1 commits Gatlin Grisso (Washington State) and Jordan Redfearn (North Texas) to knee injuries early in the season.

"The senior group has been special for us," Ivy said. "They've won more football games the last three years (23) than anybody in Aubrey's history. They had to fight through a lot of adversity this year, and they never let that get them down. Very proud of them."

Speed kills...East Texas Football is too fast for most...even with a Wing T