Celina vs Pleasant Grove

orangethunder1

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

I would like to apologize to the Melissa poster and the one PG poster with a brain for having a part in this Celina vs Pleasant Grove thread getting derailed. 

Gosh, some posters just make me want to root for the other side if you know what I mean!!! SMH, reminds me of another poster that I forget his name. Some little bitty animal.

Okay......back on topic.  Sometimes a playoff team begins asserting itself in a much better way at this juncture in the season than it did previously in the season.......for any number of reasons.  At this level of play and juncture of the season, all teams must be considered dangerous and a big threat to win.  Naturally, some more than others, but then you look at the "matchup".  I think you can and should look more at the matchup at this stage than the records for both teams......simply because some teams peak later than others and have the ingredients in place to win a big one.  I'm not saying Celina might be one of these type of teams this season.......I'm saying they are. This does not mean Celina will win on Friday night against this year's stellar PG team.......but I think it means "LOOK OUT!!"  I have this feeling the matchup is favorable for the Bobcats(as opposed to a team with a more prolific passing game like Melissa and Gilmer) and therefore this game could be decided very late.  Just my two cents worth......take it or leave it.  

1 hour ago, DOB said:

Question .... why is it that virtually all newbies have to initially go through a growing up jerky phase?

Lol...ain't gonna lie....I did it way back when, myself....that's why I ain't ridin baby bop all that hard lol. My original name got sent to the dugeon to never return long long ago lol

Yep .... teams with a history of playoff experience, especially Game 3 and beyond, turn it up a notch when the 2nd Season arrives ... they play at another level.

A winning tradition is only as good as each generation's willingness to continue it by carrying their share of the load in order to keep it going ... it's all about expectations ... and anybody worth a grain of salt doesn't want to be the one who failed as a standard bearer ...

Celina definitely fills that bill ... however, all histories - including Celina's - had to start somewhere ... and this may well be PG's day in the sun ... but the young QB must keep his poise to make it happen ... PG must not get to the point in the score where all the weight falls on him.  He has done a wonderful job as an operator of the offense ... I'm not sure he's quite ready to carry the whole show.

People who run the Wing and Slot-T's have to have a good defense - which PG does ... these closed sets were not really designed to come from behind 14-21 points in the 4th Quarter ... if PG is at, or near, even in the 4th, I predict they will take a trophy home ... ultimately, it may well come down to which power offense can wear the other's defense down ...

it's hard to explain - but there seems to be point in each playoff season where players and fans, faced with a tough climb to get back into a game - and as doubt begins to sink in, they become pleased with how far they have come and how much they have accomplished - when that happens - and kids become satisfied with the past journey rather than the continuing the path ahead - you can usually put a fork in them .... have seen it often - you can usually feel it while standing on the sidelines - and often you can feel it from the stands .... anyway, good luck to both teams ... and may God keep the players and fans safe in the process.

• Like 2

Last thoughts for anyone who loves this game .... you know who you are ... the one's that get tingles from the National Anthem ... and breathe a sigh of relief after the opening kickoff ... and leans forward in their seats as each offense approaches the line of scrimmage to start another play ... you know who you are ... and you once played the game ... and you miss it ... still

we do.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, batmaker02 said:

I ain't crying player!! I'm actually laughing at you guys. You so caught up in PG PG PG.  Im looking for Celina folks.  They ain't said nothing disrespectful on the thread is just you Eagle guys bumping your gums.  

Don't see where I disrespected.....just where I pointed out some facts that could be very relevant to PGs success or failure. The QB is young and can be rattled. The secondary is the the only point that I feel can be attacked to be successful against your defense. You've reached the point of criticism in Texas high school playoffs where all the fans of teams that have been beaten out analyze the true weaknesses and strengths of the upcoming matchups. Everybody left at this point is good. But everyone has weaknesses....well except for maybe Carthage lol. If y'all are lucky enough to make it to the next round.....there will be more critiquing. Thickin ya skin a little bit young gun.....life gonna be aight, I promise.

1 hour ago, wingtveer said:

Can't wait. Gonna find a good Mexican food restaurant then head over to prim stadium and decide which side to sit on !!  Heard "tamollys" is a good place to eat ?

If ya like avg Tex-Mex food it is not bad...there are several good restaurants downtown SS but I think they have a parade on Friday night might want to avoid that area

1 hour ago, DOB said:

Yep .... teams with a history of playoff experience, especially Game 3 and beyond, turn it up a notch when the 2nd Season arrives ... they play at another level.

A winning tradition is only as good as each generation's willingness to continue it by carrying their share of the load in order to keep it going ... it's all about expectations ... and anybody worth a grain of salt doesn't want to be the one who failed as a standard bearer ...

Celina definitely fills that bill ... however, all histories - including Celina's - had to start somewhere ... and this may well be PG's day in the sun ... but the young QB must keep his poise to make it happen ... PG must not get to the point in the score where all the weight falls on him.  He has done a wonderful job as an operator of the offense ... I'm not sure he's quite ready to carry the whole show.

People who run the Wing and Slot-T's have to have a good defense - which PG does ... these closed sets were not really designed to come from behind 14-21 points in the 4th Quarter ... if PG is at, or near, even in the 4th, I predict they will take a trophy home ... ultimately, it may well come down to which power offense can wear the other's defense down ....

.... anyway, good luck to both teams ... and may God keep the players and fans safe in the process.

Playoff game 3-6 on it is 50/50 on W/L for teams still playing and the games often come down to about 6-8 plays and which team is able to capitalize on those singular plays usually pulls the w 

having watched both teams live I give slight edge to PG 

think pg has a edge in pass scheme as their rec are step better than Celina sec to my eye test...orange may have to commit additional to stop that phase if they stay in man which may take safety out of run help 

Both teams going to run so which def can consistently stop the other? Both off play smash ball and hit ya with jets, etc.. when you start loading up in box 

When pg need yds gonna run right behind #77 & when Celina need yds gonna run left behind #74 

Defs & kick units about even (pg has K who can hit a 40yd fg if needed)

Outcome prolly come down to last six minutes of game and who makes a few plays/mistakes

Good luck to both and stay injury free

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Who's going to this game besides myself? I have about 4 Rabbits going that I know of. 

come on now... think our game in Royse City will be a better matchup lol.

Save your PG watching for next week when they meet back up with Gilmer

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bock said:

If ya like avg Tex-Mex food it is not bad...there are several good restaurants downtown SS but I think they have a parade on Friday night might want to avoid that area

There is no TaMolly's in Sulphur Springs anymore.  Where the TaMolly's was is now Juan Pablo's.  It's almost the same, though.  Not too shabby, in my opinion.  There's still a TaMolly's in Greenville I believe.

19 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Who's going to this game besides myself? I have about 4 Rabbits going that I know of. 

I have a pretty big group coming with me, 1 LE fan who is watching this game, 1 Texas High Fan, and 1 arknsas high fan im the only PG alumni. Oh and spouses Ofcoarse.

42 minutes ago, WiseGuy said:

come on now... think our game in Royse City will be a better matchup lol.

Save your PG watching for next week when they meet back up with Gilmer

It would be a lot easier to follow you guys if we were in the same division lol. Just makes it hard when there are 2 teams from your district still in the mix. That's the only part I dislike about here on out, is all the games are at the same time now instead of Thurs-Sat. 

16 hours ago, DOB said:

The MLB and the Free Safety in the middle make the defense work - in fact they make it even possible .... the Safety takes the alley (that void you were talking about off tackle) and those OLB running with the TE is actually usually the way the Def Backs play in the 10-1 ... and they can bring a lot of pressure in a hurry when they want to ... most people in the old days checked them out on the Quick Trap early ... more recently, in the spread people like to run the Speed Option into Twins, with the Slot coming inside to block on the Safety (who usually has the QB on the option) .... another favorite is flairing (or motioning) the one back out of the backfield to Twins  in the spread requiring the Safety, MLB (seldom), or the pincher end (hardly ever) to cover the Back out of the backfield.  The key is this - the unusual nature of the defense usually requires the offense to change what they are doing in order to attack the weaknesses they see in the defense.  Changing what you do (and probably never done before) and having to execute a different scheme will generally work in their favor in the long run. 

Thanks for the info. So am I right that this is not a true 10-1? Seems like they design around the 10-1 to disguise which is pretty savvy if I say so. I'm not trying to be the homer by stating that I still don't see why a lot of people believe this defense is the perfect fit for PGs wing T. I certainly agree it gets in the backfield for disruption but PG is really good up front. There could be some short passes that break for a lot of yards. Who knows? That's why the games are played and not decided on paper. Most Celina fans concede this years Celina team is not as good as last years. Most every fan agrees that PG is better than last year. A 4 point victory for Celina last year. I know any team can win, but there is no doubt PG has an advantage.

ROCK OUT WITH YOUR HAWK OUT!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Thanks for the info. So am I right that this is not a true 10-1? Seems like they design around the 10-1 to disguise which is pretty savvy if I say so. I'm not trying to be the homer by stating that I still don't see why a lot of people believe this defense is the perfect fit for PGs wing T. I certainly agree it gets in the backfield for disruption but PG is really good up front. There could be some short passes that break for a lot of yards. Who knows? That's why the games are played and not decided on paper. Most Celina fans concede this years Celina team is not as good as last years. Most every fan agrees that PG is better than last year. A 4 point victory for Celina last year. I know any team can win, but there is no doubt PG has an advantage.

What argument would anyone have if they stated that PG last year was better than this year??

11 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

The 10-1, like any defense, has to evolve with the changes it encounters ... any D that ever becomes stagnant quickly becomes irrelevant ... most of these changes come as adjustments in game plans prepared for specific opponents ... there are but very few teams I have seen over the last many decades that could just sit in their base look and survive ... especially well into the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, DOB said:

The 10-1, like any defense, has to evolve with the changes it encounters ... any D that ever becomes stagnant quickly becomes irrelevant ... most of these changes come as adjustments in game plans prepared for specific opponents ... there are but very few teams I have seen over the last many decades that could just sit in their base look and survive ... especially well into the playoffs.

Sure I get that I just don't see how its touted to be tailor made for PGs Wing T.

3 hours ago, DOB said:

Last thoughts for anyone who loves this game .... you know who you are ... the one's that get tingles from the National Anthem ... and breathe a sigh of relief after the opening kickoff ... and leans forward in their seats as each offense approaches the line of scrimmage to start another play ... you know who you are ... and you once played the game ... and you miss it ... still

we do.jpg

I said something similar to my boys when they were about to go, especially in a big game. Take the time to be thankful for the whole moment. Take in the details, make a mental note of what you are feeling, and file away that wonderful memory. As parents, We have a video or picture, but nothing like the real deal. I hear them get together now, and have those "Remember When" talks with their teammates. So cool.

I have memories of Celina running all over PG in '08. Last year they ended the Hawks season. This year has yet to be written.

The team is really clicking, and I get the feeling that they will not be disappointed this time.

Celina will give them a great game, but I think for once, we have what it will take.

#HawkNation

All the old Smoakers know how to spot when a player gets on, so forgive the enthusiasm. When you are 17-18, and playing in the game, it is a pretty big event in your life, reason to get emotional. Appreciate the temperament of the group in taking it in stride.

The school as a whole is swelling with pride. as much as it may be old hat for some, it is still relatively new for Hawks to be so close to what they have worked for.

I have loads of respect for the history of programs represented on here, Having heard all the stories. I think we are all just finally excited to know how it feels.

Hoping to go, would love to see it keep going.

#HawkNation

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futfan said:

All the old Smoakers know how to spot when a player gets on, so forgive the enthusiasm. When you are 17-18, and playing in the game, it is a pretty big event in your life, reason to get emotional. Appreciate the temperament of the group in taking it in stride.

The school as a whole is swelling with pride. as much as it may be old hat for some, it is still relatively new for Hawks to be so close to what they have worked for.

I have loads of respect for the history of programs represented on here, Having heard all the stories. I think we are all just finally excited to know how it feels.

Hoping to go, would love to see it keep going.

#HawkNation

Out of the roughly 95 4A D2 schools....only 1 is gonna win it all. PG has had a stellar season. Being that one team takes resilience, a lot of luck, and a whole lot of practice and preparation.....and even then it's not enough every year, well except for that one team. Being that one is extremely rare. Best of luck to you guys.

• Thanks 1