Celina vs Pleasant Grove

orangethunder1

12 minutes ago, Hawkguy888 said:

Ive never even heard of a 10-1 defense before Celina. Its sounds real effective against the run, but if a team can pass, it sounds worthless

The idea behind the 10-1 is to play man-2-man in the secondary and bring the rest to put pressure on the QB in the passing game.

Celina will be banking on the PG offensive line not being able to hold up against the all out pressure. They will also be banking on the penetration disrupting the wing-t misdirection.

PG does have the advantage of having the Jasper film, they should have a good idea of how Celina will attack them.

I really think this game will come down to PG stopping Celina, as long as the Hawks defense holds up then they win.

6 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Depends on how good you are in that dimension. 

But to add to what's already been said, PG hasn't had to throw it. And when they do, it's so hard to stop, because their run game is so effective. I don't see any team just stopping PG dead in their tracks and forcing them to pass. They've played some pretty big teams this season, and it still hasn't been that way. There's so much misdirection, so much smoke and mirrors, that when PG rolls out to the right to pass, there will be a wideout or slot receiver open, because someone bit hard on that fake to the left. It's an extremely good system they're running. The QB is always on the move it seems.

That's not even mentioning their defense. There d-line is very good. Their LBs hit hard and play very disciplined. 

The only game I saw where they consistently missed tackles was against  Spring Hill, and that's because Stoker was a beast. The only reason he ever got stopped was because they had him going both ways. Biggest threat at RB I've seen this season other than Ingram, and I wouldn't put Ingram head and shoulders over him at this level. Stoker was a handful to say the least. 

Yes Stoker was a train! That being said he took one of the hardest shots in that game from #5 who laid him out and Stoker lost the ball to PG. That was a huge play!

49 minutes ago, Hawkguy888 said:

Ive never even heard of a 10-1 defense before Celina. Its sounds real effective against the run, but if a team can pass, it sounds worthless

Anything that takes time in the backfield will struggle against a 10-1.  Traps, counters, jet sweeps. It does expose the middle. TJ could have a big game working the middle on run plays. Carson can run slants. Benson can get some serious chunks on short and intermediate routes. There's pros and cons to every system. It will come down to execution.

41 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yes Stoker was a train! That being said he took one of the hardest shots in that game from #5 who laid him out and Stoker lost the ball to PG. That was a huge play!

Atlanta was only able to stop him because he got worn out. Atlanta pounded the ball to his side of the field when he was on defense, and they rarely took him out on offense. Once the 3rd quarter ended, I don't think he broke another tackle, or made one. He was beat. Rightfully so, he was the entire threat on SH offense. They used him so well in tandem, because you had to jump at the chance to hit him early, or he'd break. 

3 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Atlanta was only able to stop him because he got worn out. Atlanta pounded the ball to his side of the field when he was on defense, and they rarely took him out on offense. Once the 3rd quarter ended, I don't think he broke another tackle, or made one. He was beat. Rightfully so, he was the entire threat on SH offense. They used him so well in tandem, because you had to jump at the chance to hit him early, or he'd break. 

Yeah he accounted for most of the Offense against PG he is a Beast! he had double digit tackles on defense as well.

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

The idea behind the 10-1 is to play man-2-man in the secondary and bring the rest to put pressure on the QB in the passing game.

Celina will be banking on the PG offensive line not being able to hold up against the all out pressure. They will also be banking on the penetration disrupting the wing-t misdirection.

PG does have the advantage of having the Jasper film, they should have a good idea of how Celina will attack them.

I really think this game will come down to PG stopping Celina, as long as the Hawks defense holds up then they win.

Quick throw inside slant to wide receiver would tear a 10-1 defense apart with no safety.

9 hours ago, RedRed said:

I'm not saying he can't throw it I'm saying they don't throw it. Your not gonna win a title being one deminsional very often at this level. 

My point is they aren't one deminsional. A team like Gladewater is one deminsional, PG is not. That's not hard to understand. Why throw the ball 15-20 times a game if you don't have to? PG throws when they want to. It's very effective and I have no doubt that PG can be effective running the ball or passing the ball, but will do both as they usually do. You are making way too much of them not throwing the ball as much as you think they should. 

2 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

Where was they 3 weeks ago? I'm just bustin ya chops but I woulda used more weapons if I only had 21 points in a 14 point game in the 2nd half.....lol, in that district in those good battles with the Gilmers and such....I'd assume your coach prolly used the best of his weapons.

They were tired from beating up on us the week before.

On 11/27/2017 at 10:05 PM, RedRed said:

They are vulnerable in the secondary. They do a good job stopping the run, but secondary is an issue for them. I still don't think PG is gonna be able to run all over Celina like some think. I also don't think PG is gonna be effective enough passing. 

Pleasant Grove QB can sling it man; I've seen it..Just because he doesn' have to very much doesn't mean he can't. 

19 minutes ago, Buckeyebaseball21 said:

Pleasant Grove QB can sling it man; I've seen it..Just because he doesn' have to very much doesn't mean he can't. 

I don't mean that he can't, I just don't think they throw enough to beat Celina, but if they do I'll come take all the abuse. 

18 minutes ago, RedRed said:

I don't mean that he can't, I just don't think they throw enough to beat Celina, but if they do I'll come take all the abuse. 

It all depends on what is needed. If they need to throw more to beat them they will and can...if they don't, they won't. Easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

The Corners will play inside leverage and make you throw the out or the fade.

Looking at the Celina Film, I don't think they run a true 10-1 its a hybrid. They drop the backers on several plays I seen on film. When they bring that 8 man look  things have to happen quick for the offense because the backfield is swarmed with orange. To put your safety on an island like that? That safety better be a stellar open field tackler because PG is stupid fast in the open field. Another thing I notice is the OLB has to drop with a tight end on routes. That seems to leave a huge hole off tackle. Then again if he doesn't run with the tight end that will leave the TE wide open. With a TE like Benson trust me Celina does not want him in the open field with just one safety. I think TJ and Zay will have success against Celina. I also think wheel routes by the PG backs will be successful. Like I said, The players have to execute!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RedRed said:

Okay, here are my thoughts on "how much PG passes".  They only throw the ball on 17% of their plays but; 30% of their yardage & 33% of their offensive TD's are from that 17%.  That is substantial.  Also, on the rare occasion when the running game is slow,  PG has thrown very effectively.  PG has had five games where multiple TD's have come via the pass.

Ultimately, It doesn't matter how much PG does in the air or on the ground because the PG defense is incredible.  I don't see Celina putting up many points against them.  The front seven play lights out with incredible speed & the D-backs do a good job coverage.

26 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Looking at the Celina Film, I don't think they run a true 10-1 its a hybrid. They drop the backers on several plays I seen on film. When they bring that 8 man look  things have to happen quick for the offense because the backfield is swarmed with orange. To put your safety on an island like that? That safety better be a stellar open field tackler because PG is stupid fast in the open field. Another thing I notice is the OLB has to drop with a tight end on routes. That seems to leave a huge hole off tackle. Then again if he doesn't run with the tight end that will leave the TE wide open. With a TE like Benson trust me Celina does not want him in the open field with just one safety. I think TJ and Zay will have success against Celina. I also think wheel routes by the PG backs will be successful. Like I said, The players have to execute!

Celinas safety is a really good open field tackler. In that defense Celinas MLB and Safety have to be the two best defenders tacklers in the field.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

The Corners will play inside leverage and make you throw the out or the fade.

4 hours ago, dean1345 said:

Quick throw inside slant to wide receiver would tear a 10-1 defense apart with no safety.

Good luck with that but a good passing team would eat them alive.

25 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Didn't Roberts break a Jet sweep on Celinas 10-1 for a 60 yrd touchdown Last Year?

Yep he did. He hasn't had a chance to show it this year because he's been hurt most of the year, but he's probably the fastest of the group of backs. #2 BRUUUUUUCE has been filling in very nicely in Roberts absence

3 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

The MLB and the Free Safety in the middle make the defense work - in fact they make it even possible .... the Safety takes the alley (that void you were talking about off tackle) and those OLB running with the TE is actually usually the way the Def Backs play in the 10-1 ... and they can bring a lot of pressure in a hurry when they want to ... most people in the old days checked them out on the Quick Trap early ... more recently, in the spread people like to run the Speed Option into Twins, with the Slot coming inside to block on the Safety (who usually has the QB on the option) .... another favorite is flairing (or motioning) the one back out of the backfield to Twins  in the spread requiring the Safety, MLB (seldom), or the pincher end (hardly ever) to cover the Back out of the backfield.  The key is this - the unusual nature of the defense usually requires the offense to change what they are doing in order to attack the weaknesses they see in the defense.  Changing what you do (and probably never done before) and having to execute a different scheme will generally work in their favor in the long run. 

One thing I’ve seen Celina do when they are beat on speed against receivers is they instead of giving 10 yards of cushion to the receiver, they will show press and just before the snap, the corners will start rapidly back peddling . I suppose this is an attempt to not be picked apart by screens or short curl routes within the cushion that would need to be given to fast receivers but yet allows a head start to keep up with the speed and not be burned on the mid or deep routes ( saw this in Melissa game after defense was burned by receivers a couple times). Ultimately, Melissa was still able to connect on the deep passes and the safety wasn’t able to cover his ground quick enough.

I have only seen Celina play one time with that 10-1 defense. 

Carthage ran all over that 10-1 Defense, but we did have in my opinion the best high school running back in the state that year. 

I have not seen either team play this year, but from people I have talked with on both sides, this will be a slobber knocker. 

These are the games that a high school football fan wants to see. 

May God Bless both teams and pray no injuries. Both will need to come out healthy in order to keep the dream alive. 

• Like 1