10-4A Silsbee Tigers (7-4) vs 9-4A #1 Carthage Bulldogs (12-0)

silsbee92

Carthage vs Silsbee  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2017 at 01:00 AM

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It's possible. I don't see it, but it's all about who's best on Friday, not who's best on paper. I would be really surprised to see Carthage not make it out of this game however. It wouldn't be the first surprise I've gotten this season though. 

The Huffman game, first half especially, shocked me. 

One of your posters mentioned that there is such a thing as over achievement.

Silsbee obviously has to be on point, both sides of gameplan.  Cliche, I know but just happens to be the truth.

Goes the same for Carthage.  First half like they had against Huffman could spell "Doom"  if Silsbee is moderately successful in running the ball.

9 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Silsbee92,

Interesting stats there; Carthage, as you know is having a stellar year , but isn't counting anyone out before the first snap... That ain't Surratt's style. We amatures like to give SETX  teams a hard time, but once in awhile, they surprise us & send us home early & empty handed, so there's that...  

I'm pretty sure you have done your due diligence on Carthage this year, seeing as how all roads to a Chamionship in 4a go directly through us. 

Silsbee has always been a worthy opponent on that road as well... 

Until next Friday, See you guys in Lufkin to see who goes home, & who advances on that treacherous road.....👌💀💀💀💀

Respect. Same to you. 

Carthage is no stranger to us.  A pain in our rear end (apologies) for sure, much like WOS, but we would not have it any other way.

One day yall will schedule those 'Stangs and step up ypur competition.  

Between them and Newton this year it was an impressive sight. 

Have to play them four quarters, take a break and it slips away in second half.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Silsbee92 - how many two way players does Silsbee have this year?

Interesting question...

As some of you may know..it has always been a problem for me the amount of two way players we utilized.  Old regime kept two many  

athletes on field, especially lineman, for what seemed like the entire game.  Killed us in 4th quarter every year, especially against team of Carthage caliber.

Second year for Coach Smith.

Big changes in that area,  gone are the extreme player usage that we have had in past.

Dontre Thomas in 2015 (QB)

Calvin Tyler in 2016 (RB)... still cant talk about that game...

You will see two (2) players, what I call true two way players,.  Forgive me if I dont point them out this early in the week. 

Silsbee has packages where some players will play both offense and defense. However, there is enough depth on defense to accomodate the playing time.

This will be another great game and Silsbee has proved once again they are a good football team. Anybody that makes it three rounds has proven they belong.

As a Dawg homer, I believe the Dawg defense will make the plays to stop Silsbee, nobody runs on the Dawg D and every QB has been running for his life when trying to pass on them.

The Dawg offense has weapons all over the field, pick your poison, load up to stop the run and three outstanding wide receivers will score from anywhere on the field.

K Ingram is the best running back in the state at any classification, his legs are fresh because he has not played a full game all year.

Coach Surratt got the Dawgs attention last week in practice because they were dominate on both sides of the ball. BP averaged 462 yards per game, but had 101 total yards against the Dawg starters.

I have no doubt Silsbee will be faster as in team speed than last week, but I don't believe they have a better running back than BP had.

The balanced attack by the Dawg offense so far has beaten some outstanding teams just in our on district and will be a big test for the Silsbee defense.

I have said it all year and still say it, the Dawg Defense has the best three linebackers in 4A DI, a great D line that has shut down the run and made QB'S run for their life and make bad throws under pressure. The ball hawking secondary is one of the best in the state and make bone jarring tackles when not intercepting passes.

I am really proud of Gunner Capps (first year starter on Varsity) he has made some mistakes, but can really spin the football. He can throw 45 yards down field and hit receivers in stride, kid has a cannon. 

With all this said, the Dawgs will have to play Dawg football and limit penalties and turn overs against a good Silsbee football team.

Lets Go Dawgs!!!!!

God Bless coaches, players, and fans.         

15 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

but I don't believe they have a better running back than BP had.

Prob not.... but I bet we have a couple you better pay attention to.

16 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

nobody runs on the Dawg D

Maybe not... but you can bet they'll make you work at stopping it.

18 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

load up to stop the run and three outstanding wide receivers will score from anywhere on the field.

wont do that... bend but dont break.

19 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

be a big test for the Silsbee defense.

I agree.

20 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

(first year starter on Varsity) he has made some mistakes, but can really spin the football. He can throw 45 yards down field and hit receivers in stride, kid has a cannon. 

Sounds familiar... oh yeah.  We have one of those as well except...wait for it...

Hes a lefty and he can throw it 46 yds down field and hit receivers in stride...

Couldnt help myself.  No secrets to any of the above.

Carthage is the favorite.  

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

silsbee92, please tell us about your team. What happened in the losses and who are the big contributors on offense and defense?

Ill work a few of the games in here.   A lot of turmoil in the early season for us with the floods and community tragedies.  

Focus and preparation was hard to come by.  Cost us some games but key injuries in the Jasper, WOS and Shadow Creek games really set us up for the LCM loss.

No excuses, still should play but it was an issue.

More to come.

2 hours ago, silsbee92 said:

The Huffman game, first half especially, shocked me. 

One of your posters mentioned that there is such a thing as over achievement.

Silsbee obviously has to be on point, both sides of gameplan.  Cliche, I know but just happens to be the truth.

Goes the same for Carthage.  First half like they had against Huffman could spell "Doom"  if Silsbee is moderately successful in running the ball.

It will be interesting to see what the Silsbee run game will do against the Carthage defense. The Carthage LBs are arguably the best in all of 4A. They are really good.

Carthage won't overlook Silsbee. It amazes me week in, and week out, how well Surratt prepares his team. I don't see them get stumped by teams like other programs do normally. He's excellent at getting those kids prepared and getting them focused. Really a special staff they have in Carthage. 

I'm an Atlanta fan, but I pull for Carthage because my classmate is a coach for them. 

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It will be interesting to see what the Silsbee run game will do against the Carthage defense. The Carthage LBs are arguably the best in all of 4A. They are really good.

Carthage won't overlook Silsbee. It amazes me week in, and week out, how well Surratt prepares his team. I don't see them get stumped by teams like other programs do normally. He's excellent at getting those kids prepared and getting them focused. Really a special staff they have in Carthage. 

I'm an Atlanta fan, but I pull for Carthage because my classmate is a coach for them. 

I heard Surratt talking to Larry Allen on KGAS  on Friday, & he made the comment that team is perhaps the best team to play for Carthage since he's been here; That speaks VOLUMES about his confidence in these kids, because he has seen some Very Talented kids in his tenure! 

He isn't over looking anyone, however and has these guys primed & ready for each game. He really is uniquely exceptional in his humility and quite unlike many other coaches who will run up the scoreboard against their opponent, needless running the risk of injury to his players, He pulls the starters & allows his opponent the opportunity to save face & make the game look much closer than it really is...... Class Act, if you ask me!👍🏼👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aggie98 said:

I kinda feel bad for the guy. You know he's believing that they have a legitimate chance.

I doubt he actually believes it but instead has faith they may somehow pull the upset. Over the yrs silsbee92 has proven to be a pretty fair minded guy.

12 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I doubt he actually believes it but instead has faith they may somehow pull the upset. Over the yrs silsbee92 has proven to be a pretty fair minded guy.

We've never crossed paths with Silsbee, but from what I can tell they've got a great fanbase and some serious talent down there.

Last yrs tigers were by far the best we've faced during the last 10 yrs and if theyre even half as good as last yr this game could be fun.  I havent checked what their losses were like, if they were early, they certainly get some slack considering the harvey disaster.

Correct me if I got the wrong information.  However, I was told by someone who knows, that in the Huffman game, Carthage had several players with that awful stomach virus that's been going around.  In fact there was a report of one of them upchucking on the field because of it.  They played, 'not up to par' but still won 46-10..... Carthage big in this one......that's all!

20 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I think all Dawg fans will agree that the 2016 game was Silsbee’s for the taking.  We had no answer for their rushing game. We just happened to catch a break and then executed the two minute offense to win.  

Silsbee wants revenge and I completely understand.  The Dawgs have ended Silsbee’s season several years now.  The problem for Silsbee is the 2017 Dawgs are not the same team they faced last year.  Some of the faces are the same but the team dynamics are completely different.  There are very few weaknesses.  Going to take a Herculean effort from Silsbee to win this one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mute said:

Correct me if I got the wrong information.  However, I was told by someone who knows, that in the Huffman game, Carthage had several players with that awful stomach virus that's been going around.  In fact there was a report of one of them upchucking on the field because of it.  They played, 'not up to par' but still won 46-10..... Carthage big in this one......that's all!

I know one OL starter who did not play for Carthage because he was sick. 

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I think all Dawg fans will agree that the 2016 game was Silsbee’s for the taking.  We had no answer for their rushing game. We just happened to catch a break and then executed the two minute offense to win.  

Silsbee wants revenge and I completely understand.  The Dawgs have ended Silsbee’s season several years now.  The problem for Silsbee is the 2017 Dawgs are not the same team they faced last year.  Some of the faces are the same but the team dynamics are completely different.  There are very few weaknesses.  Going to take a Herculean effort from Silsbee to win this one.

Carthage was up and down last year up until the Silsbee game. Carthage was handling Silsbee in the 1st half, and then came out flat. Silsbee took advantage of one of the down swings. I honestly think that 2 minute offense to score the winning TD propelled Carthage to a state title. They were a totally different team after that. You started seeing them play complete games.