Melissa Vs Gilmer

RedRed

6 minutes ago, oldbuckeye#62 said:

well sorry I ruffled your feathers yes yall are great and so are we. You will probably win state as for me I am going fishing and the rest will take care of itself. As for our problems I heard it from the players themselves not just made up excuses. 

That could be a problem right there if players are going around playing the blame game. 

Like I said before we have internal problems. I am not making excuses for our lost the better team won. But we have to correct the problems to move forward if we want to continue being a good team. Once again not taking away from there win the BEST team won and proved it. Good luck in the future. Now then on to church and then the fish are waiting on me.

On 12/2/2017 at 12:55 AM, BadWolf said:

Yea I traveled to the game to watch Gilmer, an ima say it, this aint tha Gilmer teams of old, A Traylor team wuld have put this team away early, bet the buckeyes had over 100 yds in penalties, an all tha gilmer coach culd do was clap, heard a lot of neg talk, about not replacing coaches wit good coaches, just hiring  sum body, an I gotta say it show, worst defense, ive ever seen, I watche a couple games this year, Carthage game and this one, gilmer did no improve..and say what you want they got outcoached dem Melissa kids was way more prepared, gilmer folks ya'll bette figure sumthin out, or dat new big old home sid stands gon have a lot of  emty seats next year I heard some folks say they wer fed up  good Melissa hope ya'll do good   gilmer is not no powerhouse no mor  sad to watc

I keep seeing you guys say Gilmer teams of Old wouldn't let this happen Traylor wouldn't let this happen. Guys sometimes no matter how hard a worker these young men are they are not the same horses that they had in the past. That 2014 defense is an all timer. That can not be the bench mark. A lot of D1 and dare I say NFL talent on that team. Are there any D1 talents on this year's defense there's 1 for sure. But man he plays both ways too. Get real what this staff has done for the last 17 years is unreal a 10-3 season had to happen sooner or later. So When they get back to the 'Ship AI want all you cowards who are calling for someone else's job to eat crow. And btw being these kids friends along with being their coach is why this staff is so great and why kids want to be Buckeyes. They are apart of something that's bigger than themselves. Kurt Traylor is at Lee instituting this very thing and it's working.  So take your negativity some place else.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 12:01 PM, Baller18 said:

My thought process is correct in the dallas morning news everyone but 1 picked Melissa to win. Have you not been reading the threads? No one thought we would win or get this far?  Everyone said we were no match for gilmer. For their machine like line. They said we would get out coached too. Where have you been? I’m not making this up ! Glad to see we finally have people watching what we can do. 

I have looked back at post and haven' seen anyone from Gilmer say we would win because our machine like line; I've seen several say we would win but I myself was not sure as it' the 3rd round of the playoffs. Now Pleasant Grove has a Front 7 that you haven't seen yet this year. I will say that for sure..Good Luck to Melissa and Congrats on the win. 

Yea I traveled to the game to watch Gilmer, an ima say it, this aint tha Gilmer teams of old, A Traylor team wuld have put this team away early, bet the buckeyes had over 100 yds in penalties, an all tha gilmer coach culd do was clap, heard a lot of neg talk, about not replacing coaches wit good coaches, just hiring  sum body, an I gotta say it show, worst defense, ive ever seen, I watche a couple games this year, Carthage game and this one, gilmer did no improve..and say what you want they got outcoached dem Melissa kids was way more prepared, gilmer folks ya'll bette figure sumthin out, or dat new big old home sid stands gon have a lot of  emty seats next year I heard some folks say they wer fed up  good Melissa hope ya'll do good   gilmer is not no powerhouse no mor  sad to watc

I disagree with your comment on powerhouse. This year was a down year compared to the others at least on the Defensive side of the ball but Gilmer JV lost 1 Game this year and their Freshman group lost 2 to Carthage and Nacidoches. They have lost 4 since Jr High. We will be just fine in the upcoming years but 10 wins and 3rd round of playoffs isn't bad at all..

On 12/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, RedRed said:

Ok i wasn't gonna say anything, but I'm tired of seeing "Some" Gilmer people saying stuff like we were down this year or this team had lots of issues or blaming the coaches. I've been reading over the last few weeks these same people talking about how much the Buckeyes have jelled together over the last month and the Buckeyes Black flag defense is back and Gilmers offense is as good as ever ect... I had a feeling though and told numerous people this week that if we beat Gilmer watch all the excuses and finger pointing come back and that's exactly what has happend. To be honest you Gilmer fans have generally always been the perfect model of consistancy of great fans, program and always had your team and coaches backs. To be frank you fans should be ashamed of yourself for the way y'all are talking about your players and coaches. Maybe the fact is Gilmer isn't bad at all, maybe other teams are just better this year have y'all ever thought about that?  Maybe games were closer this year in your district games because the teams in your district are really good and maybe even better than in years past. Stop making excuses and pointing fingers and understand that other teams caught up to Gilmer this year. 

I don't disagree with this comment at all. We lost to a better team for sure. Offensively we have played for the most part well this year Defensively it was a struggle all season..it is what it is..we lost Good Luck to y'll this Friday 

You won't hear any excuses from me for losing, but I can't help but think of the "what ifs".  I think it's only natural to think that way when you're used to winning so much.  It's over and done, though, and the better team won.  That's the breaks.

I think we are feeling the effects of the large turnover of coaches in the last few years.  Discipline is the one big thing I think has been adversely affected.  We had a TON of penalties this year that had a definite impact on our execution offensively, and our defense just never really gelled.  I will say the defense started playing better the last few games of the season, but it was nothing like what we were used to seeing.  Hopefully, our coaching staff can pull together and get it figured out for next season.

Gilmer has regressed every year since Turner took over at every level. He is a good coach but shouldn't be a HC. There is a reason Van didn't hire him some years back when he interviewed for the position.  We have had good coaches leave and they just get replaced with local boys that wont hold the kids accountable and are more worried about being their friends.  Turner has been here long enough to see what it took to reach and maintain that level of success but has allowed it to erode to mediocrity.   On another note, Jeff Traylor is gone so Rick Albritton should do everyone in GISD a favor and take a major paycut. He only made that much so the HC/AD didn't have a higher salary.  The taxpayers are fed up with him as well.

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

This is the thread that won't go away...

And just when we thought it would...

It's all good, though.  We will still continue to win a lot of games.  We just have to put the discipline back in our game, and the BLACK back into our defense.

1 minute ago, blackflag79 said:

And just when we thought it would...

It's all good, though.  We will still continue to win a lot of games.  We just have to put the discipline back in our game, and the BLACK back into our defense.

I agree.  A lot of people run around screaming the sky is falling when a few things don't go their way.  I hope it all works out.  East Texas is better off when Gilmer is good.  (Which they still are.)

In 3 yrs under Turner, Gilmer has gone 5 rds deep, 5 rds deep, and 3 rds deep. And their 3 losses this year were to teams who are a combined 38-1. If he wins a state title in the next 2 years, which is entirely possible, then he's right on par with Traylor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Aggie98 said:

In 3 yrs under Turner, Gilmer has gone 5 rds deep, 5 rds deep, and 3 rds deep. And their 3 losses this year were to teams who are a combined 38-1. If he wins a state title in the next 2 years, which is entirely possible, then he's right on par with Traylor.

Hard to say man. As someone who's seen Gilmer every year since '14, I can say, it seems like Gilmer has dropped a little each year. I know on paper they go 5 rounds deep, but seeing the teams, they just don't see as dominant. Might be graduating seniors, may not, we will see in a couple of years for sure. I could just be crazy. Who knows?

11 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Hard to say man. As someone who's seen Gilmer every year since '14, I can say, it seems like Gilmer has dropped a little each year. I know on paper they go 5 rounds deep, but seeing the teams, they just don't see as dominant. Might be graduating seniors, may not, we will see in a couple of years for sure. I could just be crazy. Who knows?

Honestly, the talent level is not what it has been in the past, but we have some talent coming up.  They will have to establish themselves at the varsity level, though.  We seem to have lost the discipline we used to have, too.  The discipline was what separated us from the average team even when our talent level wasn't that great.  Turnovers and penalties on offense, and confusion and penalties on defense are things that can be addressed, and will have to be in order to be at a championship level again.  I place a lot of the blame of that on the turnover in the coaching staff, but the new coaches will definitely have to put their foot down and be disciplinarians.

Those false start penalties (six, if I counted right) were mostly caused, I was told, by the Melissa defense, which was barking out our signals.

Plus, their band was playing at such a high decibel level pretty much the entire game that it was hard to hear even the correct signals.

I will give kudos to their band and crowd. Their band was totally into it and so was their crowd, even though it appeared to me they might not have had as large a turnout on their side as we did on ours.

The intangible factor that Gilmer is in danger of losing is that our community takes the great football team for granted and is maybe even "tired of winning" (to paraphrase Trump).

6 hours ago, Tatorhead said:

Gilmer has regressed every year since Turner took over at every level. He is a good coach but shouldn't be a HC. There is a reason Van didn't hire him some years back when he interviewed for the position.  We have had good coaches leave and they just get replaced with local boys that wont hold the kids accountable and are more worried about being their friends.  Turner has been here long enough to see what it took to reach and maintain that level of success but has allowed it to erode to mediocrity.   On another note, Jeff Traylor is gone so Rick Albritton should do everyone in GISD a favor and take a major paycut. He only made that much so the HC/AD didn't have a higher salary.  The taxpayers are fed up with him as well.

Taterhead, but the nail on the head. Albritton needs to go, along with many on board that allowed salaries to climb to high. For the $ spent, still not sure it was worth the success as the HS building deteriorated. For the 18+ coaches salaries, we could have paid for a good chunk of a new building. Discipline and accountability is definitely lower, and that has equaled losses.

I keep seeing you guys say Gilmer teams of Old wouldn't let this happen Traylor wouldn't let this happen. Guys sometimes no matter how hard a worker these young men are they are not the same horses that they had in the past. That 2014 defense is an all timer. That can not be the bench mark. A lot of D1 and dare I say NFL talent on that team. Are there any D1 talents on this year's defense there's 1 for sure. But man he plays both ways too. Get real what this staff has done for the last 17 years is unreal a 10-3 season had to happen sooner or later. So When they get back to the 'Ship AI want all you cowards who are calling for someone else's job to eat crow. And btw being these kids friends along with being their coach is why this staff is so great and why kids want to be Buckeyes. They are apart of something that's bigger than themselves. Kurt Traylor is at Lee instituting this very thing and it's working.  So take your negativity some place else.

15 hours ago, BlackFlagGBuX said:

2005, 2006,2010 If you didn't quit on Traylor Dont quit on Turner and 15 years ago Pruitt the new head coach of the University of Tennessee didn't get the head job of a High School... this story isn't finished.. Go Gilmer Buckeyes

Screenshot_2017-12-09-23-30-30.png

Flag, Do u mind posting the records of some of the years before Traylor got there. I've always heard that Gilmer wasn't that good before he became the Coach. Just curious.....