Rules question about illegal formation?

Monte1076

Ok, I have a question as it pertains to illegal formations.

I was at the Ennis/Cedar park game, and on numerous occasions, Cedar Park lined up in a 4 WR, 1 RB set. In most instances, there's nothing wrong with this.

However, in these instances, they would have four WR to one side of the LOS (say, the right side), and a RB in the backfield. To my knowledge, the tackle on the open side of the field (wearing a lineman number) never reported as eligible on any of the plays.

I was always under the assumption that was an illegal formation, since the tackle appeared to be uncovered, and never appeared to "report" as eligible.

Am I mistaken?

I have attached a screen capture of what I mean. In it, you'll see 4 wide to the offense's left, and a RB in the backfield.

Should this have been an illegal formation?

four wide.JPG

22 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Ok, I have a question as it pertains to illegal formations.

I was at the Ennis/Cedar park game, and on numerous occasions, Cedar Park lined up in a 4 WR, 1 RB set. In most instances, there's nothing wrong with this.

However, in these instances, they would have four WR to one side of the LOS (say, the right side), and a RB in the backfield. To my knowledge, the tackle on the open side of the field (wearing a lineman number) never reported as eligible on any of the plays.

I was always under the assumption that was an illegal formation, since the tackle appeared to be uncovered, and never appeared to "report" as eligible.

Am I mistaken?

I have attached a screen capture of what I mean. In it, you'll see 4 wide to the offense's left, and a RB in the backfield.

Should this have been an illegal formation?

four wide.JPG

No such thing as "lineman reports" in high school football. If a player wears an ineligible number, then he can not be the recipient of a forward pass.

There is nothing illegal about the end man on the LOS being a lineman. The only possible problem with this formation is if #2 receiver was to go "downfield." However, #2 receiver can "bubble" behind the QB and receive a "lateral" pass. 

This post points back to the post "What's up with the refs?"  Fans (and some coaches) gripe and complain about officiating when most have no clue.  They are armed with an elementary knowledge of the rules which becomes extremely dangerous.  Yes, this is a legal formation in high school and college, illegal in NFL.  The offensive team requirement at the snap is among other things to 1) have NO MORE THAN 4 backs, 2) have at least 5 lineman numbered between 50-79 (no requirement for 7 on LOS centex1). And yes the actions of the LT and #2 player on LOS to the left could warrant a penalty on a pass since LT is always ineligible by number and #2 player on left is ineligible by alignment as he is not end man on LOS.   Since there are only 5 linemen on the field in this formation then this would also be illegal in NFL unless in fact #2 to left was numbered 50-79 AND LT reported as eligible receiver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

This post points back to the post "What's up with the refs?"  Fans (and some coaches) gripe and complain about officiating when most have no clue.  They are armed with an elementary knowledge of the rules which becomes extremely dangerous.  Yes, this is a legal formation in high school and college, illegal in NFL.  The offensive team requirement at the snap is among other things to 1) have NO MORE THAN 4 backs, 2) have at least 5 lineman numbered between 50-79 (no requirement for 7 on LOS centex1). And yes the actions of the LT and #2 player on LOS to the left could warrant a penalty on a pass since LT is always ineligible by number and #2 player on left is ineligible by alignment as he is not end man on LOS.   Since there are only 5 linemen on the field in this formation then this would also be illegal in NFL unless in fact #2 to left was numbered 50-79 AND LT reported as eligible receiver.

uhh ......... if you don't have 7 on the LOS then you have more than 4 backs.............correct?

2 hours ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

LT is never eligible in the formation, whether reporting or not, eligible number or not..............it is the right tackle "position"  who "could" be eligible to receive a forward pass

23 minutes ago, WildcatScream said:

uhh ......... if you don't have 7 on the LOS then you have more than 4 backs.............correct?

You are correct... assuming offense has 11 players.  By rule you can have a legal formation with less than 11 players.  

ARTICLE 4. Offensive Team Requirements — At the Snap

Violation of each of the following (a-c) is a live-ball foul; the play is allowed to continue.

1. Formation. At the snap, Team A must be in a formation that meets these requirements:
    1. All players must be inbounds
    2. All players must be either linemen or backs (Rule 2-27-4A.R. 7-1-4-VIII).
    3. At least five linemen must wear jerseys numbered 50 through 79 (Exception:When the snap is from a scrimmage kick formation, paragraph 5 below.)
    4. No more than four players may be backs.
    5. In a scrimmage kick formation at the snap (Rule 2-16-10) Team A may have fewer than five linemen numbered 50-79, subject to the following conditions:
      1. Any and all linemen not numbered 50-79 who are ineligible receiver(s) by position become exceptions to the numbering rule when the snapper is established.
      2. Any and all such numbering-exception players must be on the line and may not be on the end of the line. Otherwise, Team A commits a foul for an illegal formation.
      3. Any and all such players are exceptions to the numbering rule throughout the down and remain ineligible receivers unless they become eligible under Rule 7-3-5 (forward pass touched by an official or a Team B player).
        The conditions in 5(a)-5(c) are no longer in effect if prior to the snap a period ends or there is a timeout charged to the referee or one of the teams.
  • Like 1