Boston's self-titled debut album

Mr. P

XoG8E6w.jpg

So I finally got my hands on a first-pressing near mint condition vinyl of Boston's self-titled debut. It's one of my all-time favorites and looks to be one of the jewels of my collection, but it got me thinking...

For those of you older fellows (yeah, I'm looking at you @MUSTANGMANIA), can you describe what it was like when this album came out? I mean, did y'all absolutely lose your minds? What was the general consensus among your friends? How did y'all react?

"More Than A Feeling" is an amazing song and Brad Delp's vocals are otherworldly, I've probably heard the song thousands of times and I never get tired of it. What was it like to hear it brand new? 

I still have two of these.  One from the year it came out, and one I picked up along the way.  I bought mine at Barrets Drug Store in Overton.  I remember b/c I also purchased Kiss's Rock And Roll Over  at the same time.  That was back before cable Tv and video games.  A kid could get lost in music for hours...and I often did.  A lot of classic tunes on this LP.  The guitar solo on Hitch A Ride is one of my favorite ever.  Rock On Matthew!!

• Like 1

My brother bought it for his collection, and I fell in love with it and the band.  I thought they were ahead of their time.  I don't care what anybody says, it is the best album for a road trip.  It does give you a lead foot though.  Even "Don't Look Back" is an album that I can do they same, and not skip a song on either album.  I want to post two videos so I'll have another response. By the way Barry Goudreau's birthday is today.  I need to change that on my timeline on facebook, because I wish my favorite musicians a birthday.  This thread reminds me of this kid, he's really good at a cover of my favorite song off the debut album :   

• Like 1

The problem we had was the dissension with Boston's band members and previous band members in how the direction of the band was going.  We lost so much magic.  Goudreau left the band, and lawsuits entailed.  For 8 years Boston didn't exist, and Goudreau formed this band :  

With many ex Boston band members and previous band members that would perform after Brad Delp left the band.  Brad Delp still has the third best voice I've heard in rock and roll history.  Third Stage was another great Boston album, but Walk On wasn't something I could listen to every song.  I haven't purchased another album since Walk On.  I refuse to go see them in their current formation, but I've heard they put on a good show even performing at Shreveport's Municipal Auditorium in recent years.  

• Like 1