Pleasant Grove vs Melissa 4A Div2 Region Two Final

futfan

PG vs Melissa Reg 2 Final  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who represents Region Two?

7 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Haha I'm just saying what everyone was crying about on FSSW.

Anyone know how many penalties Gilmer had against Melissa? I'm having trouble finding stats. 

Uuuuuggghhhh!  More than 120 yards!  That's all I got to say about that...

34 minutes ago, Baller18 said:

Oh okay. It’s an honest question. They keep saying Melissa won’t be able to run the ball we will have to throw it yet we are a way better O line than Gilmer and they scored on them. I know ( rolls eyes) everyone says you can’t compare what teams they’ve beat or lost too but it’s a legitimate question when they keep talking up this “monster of a d line” up. Then how? Let me guess they put 2nd string in? Lol.

All I can tell you is what I've seen. Atlanta had 600 yards of offense against Gilmer, including our starting RB that accounted for 224 rushing yards. We MIGHT have had 224 yards of offense total against PG. 

The PG/Atlanta game is a prime example of what happens when you load the box against PG. We started off great. We even had a 9-7 lead at the end of the first. Then PG started throwing. The rest, is the distant, far far away, past. Never to be brought up again. 

3 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

All I can tell you is what I've seen. Atlanta had 600 yards of offense against Gilmer, including our starting RB that accounted for 224 rushing yards. We MIGHT have had 224 yards of offense total against PG. 

The PG/Atlanta game is a prime example of what happens when you load the box against PG. We started off great. We even had a 9-7 lead at the end of the first. Then PG started throwing. The rest, is the distant, far far away, past. Never to be brought up again. 

Lol lol. Gotcha . 

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Seemed like every time I checked, someone was saying "another false start." lol. 

They stayed behind the chains all night because of penalties.  One TD was called back on an illegal man downfield.  I saw the replay of it, and he was 3 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage (more than a yard is a penalty).  Not much he could do, though, as he was engaged with his block.  The defender led him beyond the line of scrimmage.  That TD would've put Gilmer ahead again, and it was on a 4th and about 20 play.  Another critical penalty was a pass interference against Gilmer on a 3rd and long play for Melissa on the Cardinal side of the field.  I definitely disagree with the call, as the defender made a play on the ball.  The defender has just as much right to the ball as the receiver, and he didn't run through him to make a play.  That's the breaks, though, and could've been difference makers, but it just wasn't our night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

They stayed behind the chains all night because of penalties.  One TD was called back on an illegal man downfield.  I saw the replay of it, and he was 3 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage (more than a yard is a penalty).  Not much he could do, though, as he was engaged with his block.  The defender led him beyond the line of scrimmage.  That TD would've put Gilmer ahead again, and it was on a 4th and about 20 play.  Another critical penalty was a pass interference against Gilmer on a 3rd and long play for Melissa on the Cardinal side of the field.  I definitely disagree with the call, as the defender made a play on the ball.  The defender has just as much right to the ball as the receiver, and he didn't run through him to make a play.  That's the breaks, though, and could've been difference makers, but it just wasn't our night.

My bigger frustration was the mistakes Gilmer made.  The false starts on the jet sweep turned 2nd and 3 into 2nd and 8 time and time again.  It  basically led to us not even running a jet sweep (and we run play action a lot off the jet sweep, or fake the jet sweep and run up the middle).  The refs made some good and bad calls in the Gilmer game. The worst, in my opinion was the block in the back at the end of the half that keep Gilmer from scoring before half time.  The Gilmer kid was engaged in a legal block with the Melissa player, and then the Melissa player turned around.  But GIlmer shot itself in the foot too often.

As for PG, PG didn't make a lot of mistakes against Gilmer.  They are a pretty disciplined team.  I wouldn't bet on PG or Melissa losing this game because they shoot themselves in the foot.  Too disciplined, too well coached for them to do that.  

5 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It's really sad that we have shrunk so much that we may not even be in a division with PG/Gilmer next year. I just can't get excited about playing Redwater like I can Gilmer. 

Yes, but with the 8th grade group y'all have coming up, you guys could dominate in 3A division 1, if that happens.

3 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

My bigger frustration was the mistakes Gilmer made.  The false starts on the jet sweep turned 2nd and 3 into 2nd and 8 time and time again.  It  basically led to us not even running a jet sweep (and we run play action a lot off the jet sweep, or fake the jet sweep and run up the middle).  The refs made some good and bad calls in the Gilmer game. The worst, in my opinion was the block in the back at the end of the half that keep Gilmer from scoring before half time.  The Gilmer kid was engaged in a legal block with the Melissa player, and then the Melissa player turned around.  But GIlmer shot itself in the foot too often.

As for PG, PG didn't make a lot of mistakes against Gilmer.  They are a pretty disciplined team.  I wouldn't bet on PG or Melissa losing this game because they shoot themselves in the foot.  Too disciplined, too well coached for them to do that.  

Penalties was something that kept us behind the chains all year, and the little things that we normally do well we couldn't do this year.  It's goes back to my earlier statement that discipline will have to be restored if we are to be a contender in the future.  The big turnover on our coaching staff probably had a lot to do with that.

Discipline and execution were the two advantages we have always had over most of our opponents in the past.  Not this year.

9 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Yes, but with the 8th grade group y'all have coming up, you guys could dominate in 3A division 1, if that happens.

I've heard that from numerous people. Both 8th and 7th. Plus, our entire team is coming back next year (losing 1 WR, 1 OL, 1DB). Anxious to see how good our RB will be next year. 

5 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Penalties was something that kept us behind the chains all year, and the little things that we normally do well we couldn't do this year.  It's goes back to my earlier statement that discipline will have to be restored if we are to be a contender in the future.  The big turnover on our coaching staff probably had a lot to do with that.

Discipline and execution were the two advantages we have always had over most of our opponents in the past.  Not this year.

I will admit, Gilmer has been known to be a disciplined, well-oiled machine the past 15 years. Everyone always knew you had to play perfect to beat Gilmer. 

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I've heard that from numerous people. Both 8th and 7th. Plus, our entire team is coming back next year (losing 1 WR, 1 OL, 1DB). Anxious to see how good our RB will be next year. 

3A-D1 won't know what hit 'em when y'all move down.  I think the Rabbits will do a lot of dominating.

23 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It's really sad that we have shrunk so much that we may not even be in a division with PG/Gilmer next year. I just can't get excited about playing Redwater like I can Gilmer. 

Y’all play in preseason?

35 minutes ago, Baller18 said:

Lol lol. Gotcha . 

Keep laughing now because you will see what he means come Friday. That PG defense is for real! I could give you stats on what they did to us (Ground and pound team) compared to the Gilmer defense but it would just bore you and you wouldn't believe me either. 

4 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Haha..., there will still be a few really good teams down there, but they won't be good teams EVERY week.

Lol, maybe they will put us all in the same district. That would be fun. Eagles, Bears& Rabbits beating up on those Roughnecks. Haha

2 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Maybe. Not sure who they'll schedule. L-E probably for sure. Not sure who else. I doubt the schedule Hendo again. 

Us if we’re not in same district. 

Yall won too many games this year for Henderson to want to schedule y’all again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Atlanta, Tatum, Gladewater, Jefferson, White Oak, and Harmony.  I think those are all 3A-D1 teams, right?  Except for Harmony, all of those teams have a history with each other over the years.

Very true! Been awhile since playing Jefferson & WO, but at one time the Roughnecks were bigger rivals than Gilmer. Hard to believe isn't it!!!

10 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Atlanta, Tatum, Gladewater, Jefferson, White Oak, and Harmony.  I think those are all 3A-D1 teams, right?  Except for Harmony, all of those teams have a history with each other over the years.

Harmony turned in 321. According to Stepp, D1 is going to start at 330.