Pleasant Grove vs Melissa 4A Div2 Region Two Final

futfan

PG vs Melissa Reg 2 Final  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who represents Region Two?

20 minutes ago, NTXballgamer11 said:

Oh wow! Hang on I’m gonna need to go get my hip waders cause the BS is getting deep in here now!:lol:

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sports/pleasant-grove-gets-revenge-over-celina-to-advance-to-regional-finals/873296506

Go to the 45 sec mark and tell me how high the bs is. That wasn't even the most impressive stiff arm of the year. We have many many other backs that can do the exact same thing, and you haven't even seen them all.

7 minutes ago, PGDad said:

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/sports/pleasant-grove-gets-revenge-over-celina-to-advance-to-regional-finals/873296506

Go to the 45 sec mark and tell me how high the bs is. That wasn't even the most impressive stiff arm of the year. We have many many other backs that can do the exact same thing, and you haven't even seen them all.

You’re right PGdad. The most impressive stiff arm of the year came from a kid on defense!!  Haha. #6

• Like 1

As a person who has seen both of these teams play, all I can say for sure is that both teams are very good at what they do.  The difference in this game will come down to who executes better.  I will say that I think Pleasant Grove is the better team overall, but they sometimes have a tendency to play down to their competition, and they have been known to put the ball on the ground at times.  If that happens, Melissa will definitely make you pay.  Turnovers and penalties will definitely need to be at a minimum in order to keep the season going for the Hawks.  Melissa will definitely have to be able to pass extremely effectively in my opinion to have a chance to upend Pleasant Grove.  It will be tough for the Cardinals to get the running game going against that front seven of PG.

I will also say that Pleasant Grove better play for the full 48 minutes because Melissa can strike quickly and often if they get on a roll.  The Cardinal coaching staff is excellent at making halftime adjustments, too.  Getting a lead won't mean diddley if the PG coaching staff can't make adjustments in real time.

I really have no idea who wins this one because of the above, but I can tell you it won't be an "easy" win for either team.  I give the edge to PG because they play fundamentally sound defense.  Like the saying goes, "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships."

What the heck!  I think Pleasant Grove is fully "capable" of drilling Melissa if they play like their capable, and it won't matter what Melissa does if that happens.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PGDad said:

I heard services were held for that safety this morning. I sure hate his mama had to see that. Ugly ugly ugly. 

16 hours ago, RedRed said:

Melissa is a fairly new school opening the high school in 2004. They have had lots of success in football over the years and winning the state title in 2011. Head Coach AD Seth Stint on has been on Melissa I believe since 2008. 2014 and 2015 saw Melissa take a huge nose dive south in football. Last year Melissa got a taste of winning again and made it 2 rounds in the playoffs before Gilmer blew us out of Mesquite Hanby Stadium. This year we have a lot of youth that are stellar Atheletes that have grown up big time and are awesome football players. There is speed all over the field. I was fortunate to get to talk to a few Gilmer folks that are on this site after the game and they all were in awe of how much better and faster Melissa got in 1 year. What I liked hearing the most was them saying we should beat PG and that PG hasn't seen the Atheletes that Melissa has this year. They even went as far to say they believed Melissa to be as good as Carthage this year. 

So there you are take it for what it's worth. The game still has to be played.

You are capable of beating anyone any game. Should you beat PG? Nope! Melissa had big plays against Gilmers Defensive mistakes which is average at best. PG is a much better defensive team than Gilmer. You'll see! Sorry to bust your bubble on the talent argument also. PG has defeated 3 different 5A programs this year that I dare say have better athletes than Melissa. The PG defense is considered by many high school football critics to be the best in Texas 4A. So go ahead and under estimate this team as many have done this year. It will be your undoing on the field. PG will have to have a bad game and Melissa will have to have a great game to win. It can happen certainly, but there is no should beat PG this year I promise.

• Like 1

Also, it says the low Friday night is 33 degrees. Let me tell you something though. I don't know what it is about Paris, but it's the coldest place in Texas to play a football game. If they say it's cold, it's bad in Paris. 2014 Atlanta/Melissa was the coldest football game I ever attended. Dress appropriately! Bring a heater! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Also, it says the low Friday night is 33 degrees. Let me tell you something though. I don't know what it is about Paris, but it's the coldest place in Texas to play a football game. If they say it's cold, it's bad in Paris. 2014 Atlanta/Melissa was the coldest football game I ever attended. Dress appropriately! Bring a heater! 

It's flat lands up there.  There is absolutely nothing to stop the wind.  If it says a 10 mph wind, you will definitely FEEL IT!

Y’all keep harping on PG’s amazing D LINE. Question. How was Gilmer’s good (but not crazy exceptional) O-line able to score what was it 38 points? Asking for honest feedback. If your D line is so good how did Gilmer score? I plan to watch the game tonight. Did anyone se it? 

5 minutes ago, Baller18 said:

Y’all keep harping on PG’s amazing D LINE. Question. How was Gilmer’s good (but not crazy exceptional) O-line able to score what was it 38 points? Asking for honest feedback. If your D line is so good how did Gilmer score? I plan to watch the game tonight. Did anyone se it? 

I wasn't there. I just heard read PG fans typing "home-cooking" non-stop on the fox sports app. 

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

I wasn't there. I just heard read PG fans typing "home-cooking" non-stop on the fox sports app. 

Oh okay. It’s an honest question. They keep saying Melissa won’t be able to run the ball we will have to throw it yet we are a way better O line than Gilmer and they scored on them. I know ( rolls eyes) everyone says you can’t compare what teams they’ve beat or lost too but it’s a legitimate question when they keep talking up this “monster of a d line” up. Then how? Let me guess they put 2nd string in? Lol.

Just now, Baller18 said:

Oh okay. It’s an honest question. They keep saying Melissa won’t be able to run the ball we will have to throw it yet we are a way better O line than Gilmer and they scored on them. I know ( rolls eyes) everyone says you can’t compare what teams they’ve beat or lost too but it’s a legitimate question when they keep talking up this “monster of a d line” up. Then how? Let me guess they put 2nd string in? Lol.

Their front 7 is definitely a 👹. And you're right....it's all about matchups. Can't use scores as indicators. I haven't seen a front 7 as good as these guys in a long time. We'll see how well y'all handle them. 

8 minutes ago, Baller18 said:

Gilmer passed very effectively, mostly short passes, which helped the running game.  The Buckeyes executed offensively better in the PG game than they have in any game all season.  The Buckeye receivers were making circus catches, to be honest.  That's what Melissa will have to be able to do effectively to have a puncher's chance in this one.  Stopping the PG offense is a whole other story.  They can both run and pass effectively.  Slow their run game down, they'll hit you with a pass.  If you bring run support from your corners or safeties, they'll make you pay with a pass over the top.  If you don't bring them up for run support, they will pound you into submission.  It's a very difficult offense to stop.

17 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I am calling BS to the "home-cooking" comment.  Pleasant Grove got away with a ton of stuff in that game, while Gilmer didn't.  I am about as objective a fan as there is, and I can unequivocally say the calls did NOT go Gilmer's way in that game.  If anybody says anything different, they don't know football.

I can say the better team won, though.  I don't have a problem saying that.

18 minutes ago, Baller18 said:

You'll see.

12 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I am calling BS to the "home-cooking" comment.  Pleasant Grove got away with a ton of stuff in that game, while Gilmer didn't.  I am about as objective a fan as there is, and I can unequivocally say the calls did NOT go Gilmer's way in that game.  If anybody says anything different, they don't know football.

I can say the better team won, though.  I don't have a problem saying that.

Haha I'm just saying what everyone was crying about on FSSW.

Anyone know how many penalties Gilmer had against Melissa? I'm having trouble finding stats.