MavGrad's CFB Playoff and Bowl Preview 2017-18

Coach Rab

These predictions and previews may change and may not reflect my choices in pick'ems etc...  

NEW ORLEANS BOWL- DECEMBER 16

Troy St vs North Texas  12:00  ESPN

I found this one really intriguing because of a couple of things... (1) The Troy win over LSU and (2) The quick emergence of UNT the past 2 years with their current HC at the helm...  I really like Troy in this one who has already cemented their 2nd straight 10 win season.  They have the talent pool to make quick work of this one if they execute.  Troy by 10.

FRISCO BOWL- DECEMBER 20

Louisiana Tech vs SMU  7:00  ESPN

What a stupid name for a bowl in such a congested city... They need to find a namesake sponsor... The Gildan SureFit Underwear Bowl...  Anyways.. We essentially have Louisiana Tech being who they've always been, a solid mid-major program playing SMU without Chad Morris, but a lot of young under-recruited talent.  I like Louisiana Tech to be the more talented team, but I also feel like the home field advantage and the fact that SMU and the interim coach is playing for that job play a big part in this... SMU by 3.

BIRMINGHAM BOWL- DECEMBER 23

Texas Tech vs South Florida  11:00  ESPN

Charlie Strong did a lot of things he could never get going in the Big XII...  A solid offense, decent defense (at times) and a winning season...  They play Kliff Kingsbury's Red Raiders who somehow bought their coach 1 more year to fix their issues...  After seeing how UCF carved up USF through the air, I just don't see them beating Texas Tech who will have a slightly better D than UCF.  I will take Texas Tech by 10.

TEXAS BOWL- DECEMBER 27

Texas vs Missouri  8:00  ESPN

I won't bash the name of this bowl because I think it has a sausage or something as the sponsor :lol: But, this game will be discussed plenty.  Texas wins this one easily.  1) Texas can play D 2) Mizzou can't.  Horns by 6.

CAMPING WORLD BOWL- DECEMBER 28

#13 Stanford vs #15 TCU  8:00  ESPN

I usually like Patterson here with a month to prepare, but Stanford with a healthy Bryce Love... I will take the Cardinal by 3.

BELK BOWL- DECEMBER 29

Wake Forest vs Texas A&M  12:00  ESPN

Hey if you ever want to get ripped off on cheap clothing shop at Belk!  Now for the game, Wake Forest always gives good teams problems.  They have stability at the coaching spots and pretty solid D.  Texas A&M has something WF doesn't have though... Playmakers... And if we have seen anything in Bowl games, its that playmakers take over in these.  If A&M is smart, they will get the ball to Kirk as much as they can and win this game handily...  TAMU by 8.

COTTON BOWL- DECEMBER 29

#8 USC vs #5 Ohio St  7:30  ESPN

I can't wait for the masses of California to boycott the name of this Bowl while they flee the wildfires (aka global warming)...  Give me Ohio St by a lot...  This game shouldn't even be fun to watch...  Buckeyes by 14.

FIESTA BOWL- DECEMBER 30

#11 Washington vs #9 Penn State  3:00  ESPN

You guys know how much I love and respect Chris Peterson and what he has done at Washington, but seriously... the best team in the B10 barely lost to Ohio St...  Give me James Franklin and Penn St by a FG here.

ORANGE BOWL- DECEMBER 30

#6 Wisconsin vs #10 Miami  7:00  ESPN

I love Mark Richt and I think he builds a powerhouse squad again in the U... but they don't have the horses to beat Wisconsin this year... Badgers by a TD.

CHICK-FIL-A PEACH BOWL- JANUARY 1, 2018

#12 Central Florida vs #7 Auburn  11:30 ESPN

The Chick-Fil-A Hate Chicken Bowl is always a fun game to watch.  I wish the mid major coaches didn't bail on good teams until after these bowls... I understand why, but gosh... it leaves UCF in a no-win situation... Auburn has more talent, and they now have a better HC... I will take Auburn by 13 in this one...

CITRUS BOWL- JANUARY 1

#14 Notre Dame vs #17 LSU  12:00 ABC

I think we are about to see Notre Dame get creamed in this one.  LSU is the most balanced they have been in years.  The defense is hitting their stride.  LSU took down Auburn, gave Bama as much as they wanted and almost beat TROY!  Notre Dame is a team that I liked early and fell off late... Because of that... GEAUX TIGERS by 20.  (DJ CHARK is going to have 150+ yards in this one...)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF

ROSE BOWL- JANUARY 1

#3 Georgia vs #2 Oklahoma  4:00  ESPN

Another game that will be discussed in detail on another thread, but give me the best player over the best RBs... OU by 4.

#4 Alabama vs #1 Clemson  7:45  ESPN

Clemson has the best D in the nation (IMHO)... Bama has the 2nd best (IMHO)...  Clemson has an okay offense.. Bama has a better one... Bama has the best Coach in the Nation, Clemson has the 2nd... Give me Bama by 1 point.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

wait, that is a real bowl?

Dec. 21

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
Temple vs. Florida International
8 p.m., ESPN
Tropicana Field
St. Petersburg, Florida

Dec. 23

Dollar General Bowl
Appalachian State vs. Toledo
7 p.m., ESPN
Ladd-Peebles Stadium
Mobile, Alabama
Tickets

• Like 1

OK so let's go through these...

Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl

Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Quick Lane Bowl - are we going bowling or what?

Walk-on's (lol) Independence Bowl

San Diego County Credit Union Bowl

Franklin American Mortgage Music Bowl

Dollar General Bowl- should get your money's worth out of this one

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl- my favorite...  seriously

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl- no idea what a Camellia is...

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Dollar General Bowl- should get your money's worth out of this one

Dollar General Bowl? That's hilarious... 

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Ladd-Peebles Stadium
Mobile, Alabama

Ah...  there it is. :lol: 

8 hours ago, Lion70 said:

Saw that Army was good this year. Soft schedule or just turned it around. I see they had a lot of close games this year

They have improved but didn't have as strong as a schedule Navy had. I think it's the first time Army has been a favorite in a lonnngg time. 

2 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Good kinda wish they were a contender like Navy usually is . I remember army giving A&M a close game a few years ago in San Antonio. 

I do too. Navy is usually the better out of the two, but both are pretty decent every year.

1 minute ago, Lion70 said:

Wonder why they choose this week . I get it all by themselves but Rivalry week or opening weekend would be fun too.

I think it being all by themselves is kinda the point. It's traditionally been the mark of the end of the season for college football every year. They want everyone watching this game because of it's significance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

They have improved but didn't have as strong as a schedule Navy had. I think it's the first time Army has been a favorite in a lonnngg time. 

Last year was the first time Army had beaten Navy in 14 years.  This is the first time in a long time that Army could win the Commander in Chief Trophy since they both defeated Air Force.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I work with a guy that played football for the Naval Academy and another guy that played basketball for West Point. Two solid individuals. It is entertaining to see the banter between the two.

Both are combat vets too.

Did you know after the game, the loser of the game sings the Academy's song with the winner?  

Another fun fact:  The winning academy gets a day or 2 leave to celebrate the victory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Yes I agree just was curious why they do that

They've been doing it for quite some time. It's been that way at least as long as I've been watching it, which is since I was a little kid. I believe the tradition was established so as not to conflict with other games. It used to be the first Saturday after Thanksgiving, but with the expansion of college football regular seasons, it's been pushed back a week or so.

Army-Navy is a singular game. Like I said, it's the only game that matters. These men are the best our country has to offer. A single Saturday where the national college football audience is focused on these two teams is not too much to ask. 

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Last year was the first time Army had beaten Navy in 14 years.  This is the first time in a long time that Army could win the Commander in Chief Trophy since they both defeated Air Force.

6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Did you know after the game, the loser of the game sings the Academy's song with the winner?  

Another fun fact:  The winning academy gets a day or 2 leave to celebrate the victory.

Going off of your fun fact: Because Army beat navy for the first time in 14 years, it was the first time in 14 years that Army got to sing second after the game. They both sing their Alma Maters, but the loser sings  first and winner sings second.

Edit*: Singing second is a big deal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

It's probably my favorite Saturday out of the year hands down.

Same here. It's a big deal for my family. I've got a lot of enlisted men and officers in family, and we lived in Annapolis for almost a decade. I attended the 2000 and 2007 games in Baltimore, and the 2001 game in Philly. Army won that one, and it was one of the most physically intense contests I've ever seen on any level.

6 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Same here. It's a big deal for my family. I've got a lot of enlisted men and officers in family, and we lived in Annapolis for almost a decade. I attended the 2000 and 2007 games in Baltimore, and the 2001 game in Philly. Army won that one, and it was one of the most physically intense contests I've ever seen on any level.

That's awesome! I have several of friends at West point and my grandfathers was in the Army, so I usually root for the black knights. I heard somebody said the reason it's great is because nobody throws the ball and it's like watching intense, physical high school football lol. It's on my bucket list to go. And there is a possibility of a snow game this year and that would be epic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's awesome! I have several of friends at West point and my grandfathers was in the Army, so I usually root for the black knights. I heard somebody said the reason it's great is because nobody throws the ball and it's like watching intense, physical high school football lol. It's on my bucket list to go. And there is a possibility of a snow game this year and that would be epic.

Dude, you really need to make it happen. For even a casual football fan, it's a religious experience. It's almost like stepping into a different era...  a time of honor and chivalry.

I've been to a few bigtime pro and college games, but none of them moved me the way Army-Navy game does. It's like an awesome church service, but for football. :D 

• Like 1