2A-D1 State-Semis: Refugio (12-1) vs San Augustine (14-0)

LPack

Who Yall Got  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who Yall Got

• San Augustine Wolves
    • Refugio Bobcats

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2017 at 01:00 AM

On 12/10/2017 at 8:36 AM, Viper said:

They had 3ints last Friday, and I don’t know if you could compare SA to that Canadian team, you gotta ask yourself can SA QB throw on the run? He will be pressured 

Nobody will know for sure until it is all said and done, but I'm pretty sure the SA passing attack is every bit as good as Canadian's was in 2015, if not better. Murr can throw from the pocket, sprinting out or on the move and the receiving corps is better (size and speed) than anything Refugio has seen.

• LOL! 1

53 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Nobody will know for sure until it is all said and done, but I'm pretty sure the SA passing attack is every bit as good as Canadian's was in 2015, if not better. Murr can throw from the pocket, sprinting out or on the move and the receiving corps is better (size and speed) than anything Refugio has seen.

In my opinion the 2015 Canadian offensively was unstoppable.  Refugio was loaded in 2015, and got curb stomped.  SA is very good and deserves to be recognized.  This will be Refugio's toughest opponent this year.  Good luck to both teams.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:51 AM, bystander76 said:

Kurt and Tiger, part of me wants to agree with you all and part of me doesn’t, but the part that does hopes that Murr shows Herring who is daddy is

If Herring knew who his daddy was, he’d probably run the score up on him too. Pulling for SA. 

• LOL! 3

On 12/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, playactionpass39 said:

Not saying SA passing game isn't stout, because it is, but you might want to pump the brakes a little when saying their passing is as good or better than Schafer in 2015  

Canadian's QB

Schafer's stats in 2015

Season totals...

292/377... 78% completion

4053 yards

49 TD..... 2 INT

Playoff totals....

104/130... 80% completion

1485 yards

18 TD..... 0 INT

And their closest playoff win was 31-0 in round 4. All that being said, I'm pulling hard for SA!!! Would love to not have to watch Refugio next week!!!!

• Like 1

REFUGIO - Coaches are often reluctant to put sophomores in high-pressure situations.

Refugio coach Jason Herring doesn't hesitate when it comes to Jared Kelley or Ysidro Mascorro.

Kelley starts at quarterback, and Mascorro starts at linebacker and splits time at running back for the Bobcats (12-1) who will make their third straight Class 2A, Division I semifinal final appearance when they play San Augustine (14-0) at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cy-Fair FCU Stadium in Cypress.

"Both of those sophomores are coach's dreams," Herring said. "They're both incredibly unselfish, it's never about them. It's what do you need me to do."

Kelley played mostly linebacker as a freshman - making two starts at quarterback - before taking over under center when Jacobe Avery moved to running back.

He has responded by passing for 3,085 yards and 44 touchdowns.

"It started off in the spring just getting the plays down," Kelley said. "Last year, I had a little bit of a feel for it, this year I got a grasp of it and tried to do what I can do."

Herring has been impressed by how quickly Kelley picked up the offense.

"Jared has exceeded expectations," Herring said. "Everybody forgets because he's 6-3, 215 pounds. He looks like an NFL quarterback and he's only a 16-year-old pup.

"Jared's done every single thing I've asked him to do," he continued. "This is really his first year to be the starter. What I like about Jared is no moment seems too big and no moment seems too little. He seems to have a real good demeanor. The most enjoyable thing about coaching Jared is that he listens. He's very, very coachable."

Herring was impressed by Kelley's ability to make adjustments in last week's 38-14 semifinal win over Mason.

The Bobcats were trailing 14-10 at halftime, but took the lead for good on the opening drive of the third quarter.

"At halftime, we got our coaches together and they just told me what I needed to know and we went from there," Kelley said.

Mascorro did his part by helping the Bobcats limit Mason to four first downs and 93 yards of rushing, while also carrying eight times for 36 yards, with seven of those carries coming in the second half.

"What I love about Cito is every day all you get from him is, 'Let's go to work,'" Herring said. "Sometimes he gets eight carries and sometimes he gets two. He could start for most schools in the state. But I have all three running backs starting on defense so I just let them rotate as they want.

"He's a young kid, but he acts like a senior. He's very mature. He never complains and just does his job. He's a heck of a football player."

Mascorro credits his older brother, Trace, who played on last year's state championship team and made the All-Conference USA freshman team at Texas-El Paso this season, for preparing him to play on the varsity level as a freshman.

"He made me work out every day and watch film and get in good shape for my body and lift weights before I started high school," Ysidro Mascorro said of his brother. "Varsity football is a lot faster. You have to be a lot smarter to play. Not a lot has changed from my freshman to sophomore year. It's the same mentality. You go in thinking you're going to be hit harder. You just have to hit them harder back."

Kelley is one of the state's top pitching prospects and has already committed to TCU.

But Herring believes he'll be able to pick his sport before he finishes high school.

"Jared is very, very gifted at quarterback and before this is all over he's going to have his choice between quarterback or Division I baseball player," Herring said. "He's that special."

Mascorro will also have options, but Herring sees his future on defense.

"His natural position is linebacker," Herring said. "I think he's a real good running back. I think just overall is his love and desire for the game. What I think he's natural about is playing linebacker and tackling people."

Mascorro and Kelley take their classification in stride and concentrate on the results.

"I get told that a lot by everybody," Mascorro said. "But I just play to may highest potential and stay up there with all the seniors and juniors."

"We try to approach any team with our best," Kelley said. "The tradition is just winning and that's what Refugio is known for and I'm trying to keep it going."

Young and Productive

Jared Kelley, so., QB

• 179-289-7 3.085 yards, 44 TDs passing.

Ysidro Mascorro, so., LB/RB

• 54-388 yards, 5 TDs, 7.19-yard average rushing. 140 tackles, 34 tackles for loss, 7 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles, 1 interception return for TD.

Victoria Advocate 

10 hours ago, LLIONPRIDE said:

Not saying SA passing game isn't stout, because it is, but you might want to pump the brakes a little when saying their passing is as good or better than Schafer in 2015  

Canadian's QB

Schafer's stats in 2015

Season totals...

292/377... 78% completion

4053 yards

49 TD..... 2 INT

Playoff totals....

104/130... 80% completion

1485 yards

18 TD..... 0 INT

And their closest playoff win was 31-0 in round 4. All that being said, I'm pulling hard for SA!!! Would love to not have to watch Refugio next week!!!!

I knew what the numbers were before i typed that.

SA has only thrown it 237 times.

I should probably have said, the talent wise the SA passing game is just as potent, if not more.

Having watched both the 2015 Canadian team and this years SA team, I can definitely tell you that the quality of the QB and the talent at the receiver position is comparable, and maybe falls in favor of SA. 

And Canadian is in Region 1, not a Region (especially at this level) know for their blazing speed or passing prowess. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I should probably have said, the talent wise the SA passing game is just as potent, if not more.

Having watched both the 2015 Canadian team and this years SA team, I can definitely tell you that the quality of the QB and the talent at the receiver position is comparable, and maybe falls in favor of SA. 

And Canadian is in Region 1, not a Region (especially at this level) know for their blazing speed or passing prowess. 

I completely trust your take on SA. You have seen them, I have not. But I did see Canadian in 2015. They were impressive. If your assessment is accurate, then SA wins this ball game no doubt!!! I don't think 2017 Refugio is as strong as 2015 Refugio. But I could be wrong. Get em Wolves!!!

• Like 1

Have a hard time believing that this San Augustine team has the same passing game that Canadian did in 2015. For one San Augustine scored in the 20's in 3 games this year against good, not great opponents. That Canadian team had a low score in the 30's. Also this Murr kid might be great but the Schaefer kid from Canadian was an invited walk-on to one of the best programs in the country at Oklahoma. Again just my opinion and maybe SA is really firing on all cylinders now so this opinion could be flushed by 10 pm Thursday night.

2 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

In my opinion you are jumping the gun, Murr is a really good Qb, but his receivers drop a lot of passes. I’ve seen S.A play three games this season, and they had a lot of drops in all the games. If they clean that up, and catch the ball they win those games by a lot more points. You have to be careful comparing teams by stats, because they play a lot different schedules, and have different talent levels on the line and at receiver. Plus the defense may or may not be better, which can give you padded stats on offense, because you have the ball more. I like S. A and their chance to win this game, but I don’t believe they can beat Mart or 2015 Canadian.

1 hour ago, Alto44 said:

In my opinion you are jumping the gun, Murr is a really good Qb, but his receivers drop a lot of passes. I’ve seen S.A play three games this season, and they had a lot of drops in all the games. If they clean that up, and catch the ball they win those games by a lot more points. You have to be careful comparing teams by stats, because they play a lot different schedules, and have different talent levels on the line and at receiver. Plus the defense may or may not be better, which can give you padded stats on offense, because you have the ball more. I like S. A and their chance to win this game, but I don’t believe they can beat Mart or 2015 Canadian.

SA hadn't dropped passes in weeks until the freezing cold last Friday and we had some drops. However, if those passes are caught we score 3 more times, not to mention the 3 that were called back on defensive returns.  Don't count SA out just yet, if you think hanging 50 every week for the past several weeks is easy, suit up and see

4 hours ago, wooderson said:

Have a hard time believing that this San Augustine team has the same pasrming game that Canadian did in 2015. For one San Augustine scored in the 20's in 3 games this year against good, not great opponents. That Canadian team had a low score in the 30's. Also this Murr kid might be great but the Schaefer kid from Canadian was an invited walk-on to one of the best programs in the country at Oklahoma. Again just my opinion and maybe SA is really firing on all cylinders now so this opinion could be flushed by 10 pm Thursday night.

SA plays against stronger compitition than Canadian ... Canadians passing stats woudn't be nearly as Impressive If they played In SAs region ... Canadian plays in arguable the weakest region in the state ......

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

SA plays against stronger compitition than Canadian ... Canadians passing stats woudn't be nearly as Impressive If they played In SAs region ... Canadian plays in arguable the weakest region in the state ......

True about toughness of regions, but most of their games were blowouts by halftime and their coach isn't named Herring so I'm sure there wasn't much passing in the 2nd half of those games. If they had played in our region, against tougher competition, they would have still went 16-0 but probably would have passed more in the 2nd half of games so..... I think the stats would have been similar other than a little lower completion % and more attempts. It's a wash. Go WOLVES 🐺 

Not so sure about the competition thing. Canadian played Stratford twice that year in both the regular season and quarterfinals. Stratford held them to their lowest point totals all year, beat Albany 49-0 and Albany was a Division 2 state finalist that year(losing to Bremond), Stamford was a few seasons removed from a state title with James Washington and was 10-2, Wellington was just 2 seasons removed from their state title and Bushland and Childress are usually pretty strong programs as well. The schedule that SA has played isn't as impressive as that one with those caliber of programs and teams.

3 hours ago, bystander76 said:

SA hadn't dropped passes in weeks until the freezing cold last Friday and we had some drops. However, if those passes are caught we score 3 more times, not to mention the 3 that were called back on defensive returns.  Don't count SA out just yet, if you think hanging 50 every week for the past several weeks is easy, suit up and see

Suit up and see???😂😂😂 S.A doesn’t want any part of the Alto ‘95 - ‘97 teams. S.A is good, but you act like they are world beaters, we should have beat yaw this year and we are terrible. You need to let the boys play speak for itself, and they will let you know how good they really are. I hope S.A beats everyone by 50, but that is asking a lot, just beat Refartgio and we can talk next week next week.

And alto doesn't want any part of the 2003 state champ Wolves team either. That's all in the past this is the present. I know Everyteam that reaches this far has had a darn good year. And lets not forget in every sport there is only one champion. So good luck to SA bring it to east Texas 

• Thumbs Down 1

To even be in the conversation with as good as 2015 Canadian you would need to go back to back championships. It’s hard to compare teams anyway from year to year. But Refugio was an outstanding team 2015 and Canadian killed them. I’d bet Refugio was not that much better in 2016 and still won state easily. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bystander76 said:

I’m confused...what do Canadian and Alto have to do with the price of eggs in China the day after Easter?  Alto44...almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...

Your right, but you said I should suit up? I’ve been their and done that, and you were talking about being better than Canadian was in 2015. So you seem to be really confused and If I said almost, I meant should have beat S.A.