Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

49 minutes ago, dean1345 said:

What makes Carthage an exceptional team is (1) Great coaching staff (2) Do not  beat themselves (turnovers and penalties)  (3) Halftime adjustments... they always keep you guessing (4) Carthage Fans...Unbelievable support.

To beat Carthage this Friday you better have a balanced attack, eliminate turnovers and penalties, and keep that going for the full four quarters. 

That being said Waco LaVega is also undefeated (1) Great Coach (2) Seasoned Sr. QB who was a sophomore and lead them to a State Championship (3) Three exceptional running backs and a QB as well.

LaVega can't beat Carthage without keeping them guessing on offense. LaVega will not hold Carthage to less than 28 pts.

Bottom line is Carthage defense and like I said earlier LaVega has to pass to keep the guessing.

Carthage 28

LV             14

Fair take on the game.  

16 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Quick Questions:

How many yard rushing does Carthage have on the Season? Split between how many backs?

I only know that Keontay has almost 2000 yards.  He's only played after halftime about 4 games.  Tucker Smith, his backup, has been good, but I don't know his totals.  The third string back has had lots of carries too.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Quick Questions:

How many yard rushing does Carthage have on the Season? Split between how many backs?

3200 split between two backs and a couple receivers. Keontay has 1957 and 33 touchdowns. He also has only played in the second half in three or four games.

1 hour ago, carthagedawgs2010 said:

I think my crew and I will get there around 5:30-6:00 just to get in line if not earlier. We'll head out from Carthage around noon.

You will be there in time to grab a bite at one of the many places in the Star complex before the game.  Cane Rosso pizza is the bomb.  Think that's where ill nosh before the game.  Safe travels to you and the crew!

• Like 1

Just now, trueblue32 said:

I hope he has to wait a long, long time.  We will all go visit Lion70 when he's in the nursing home and like 115 years old and he's still waitin' for Carthage to get beat  by Henderson. Them nurses will be feeding him applesauce and Lion be sayin' " Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy, I just know my Lions is gonna beat that Carthage one of these days!" And those nurses will say..."Well now Mr. Lion, you been sayin' that for a minute now and dem Lions ain't beat dem Dawgs yet."  Then Lion says..." NEXT YEAR!  We'll get 'em next time!!!  Let's hear a big WOOF!!! from all our pups in Dawgland!!!!  Goooooooooo Dawgs!  

It’s not like it’s been that long since Henderson beat Carthage. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Carthage can contain the LaVega QB, pressure him, get into the backfield before the RBs get to the line of scrimmage, be at any one point on the field quickly with a stinging, swarming defense, and cover any receivers by using one simple, yet very effective defense scheme.Correct reading and  proper tackling will be the way to neutralize the LaVega RBs 

And to flip it

LaVega can establish the tunnel sweep early, set the passing game up by forcing Carthage to 9 in the box. This is why this game is going to be so epic

33 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

And to flip it

LaVega can establish the tunnel sweep early, set the passing game up by forcing Carthage to 9 in the box. This is why this game is going to be so epic

Just some La Vega Rushing numbers.  North of 4600 yard on the the season 3 back over 1000 yards avg 9.9 yards per carry with those back in the game.  Even if Carthage cuts that in half still a long night.  Both defenses will have there hands full on Friday night.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

And to flip it

Safeties may come flying to the ball on sweeps, possibly setting up a halfback pass, but seriously doubt Carthage puts more than 8 in the box(mainly playing with 7 in the box) except inside the 10 yard line

Just now, cotton84 said:

Safeties may come flying to the ball on sweeps, possibly setting up a halfback pass, but seriously doubt Carthage puts more than 8 in the box(mainly playing with 7 in the box) except inside the 10 yard line

If Pirates start gash them, I think they will have to at some point. Like we said on show last night, Carthage needs to blow those tunnel sweeps and pitches up before they get set up

3 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

If Pirates start gash them, I think they will have to at some point. Like we said on show last night, Carthage needs to blow those tunnel sweeps and pitches up before they get set up

You might want to study Darren Preston's defensive philosophy a little more..

1 minute ago, cotton84 said:

You might want to study Darren Preston's defensive philosophy a little more..

It is not just about philosophy. It is also about coaches that make the adjustments in game. Grant said it best...Carthage is bar none one of the best coaching staffs at doing that. That also means at times doing things that was not in the gameplan or the philosophy of the D

So much around this game is why this is going to be maybe the best 4A game of the year. 

my personal prediction of how this game will go.

1st half. carthage will probably struggle some.

halftime. surratt will give them the talk of the night

2nd half. carthage will take surratts words and turn them into action to come back and get ahead to win in a close game.

this team has been a 1st half team for most of the season. but when it counted our 2nd half game play has always benefited us because we have been able to turn it around and get the win.

13 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

LaVega will try misdirection plays, fake handoffs,  reverses, options, sweeps, QB keeps etc. but all those can be stymied or disrupted with the proper defense for the occassion.  

So LaVega will run their base stuff on offense? Awesome. 

53 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

That is how Carthage shut the "Magician" Buddy Jackson's triple option  down cold & forced him to throw the ball; Something he Really didn't want to do....

1 hour ago, coachkells said:

Just some La Vega Rushing numbers.  North of 4600 yard on the the season 3 back over 1000 yards avg 9.9 yards per carry with those back in the game.  Even if Carthage cuts that in half still a long night.  Both defenses will have there hands full on Friday night.  

How many yards passing does La Vega have we have over 3000.