Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

11 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

That is what I assumed.  I’m just trying to figure out why those wins are better than Henderson x2 and Kilgore, Gilmer, Liberty Eylau or Gilmer for Carthage?  I mean Kilgore, LE & Gilmer made it 3 rounds deep and Henderson 4.  Seems like at worst they would be a wash?

Still haven't explained how those opponents are better than Hendo, Kilgore, Gilmer & Liberty Eylau...

2 minutes ago, coachkells said:

IMO Surratt and Williams is a push.  Hyde would be my DC in a heart beat.  If you watch the end  2015 game Surratt said he got out coached. Same staff from 2015 with some slight changes.  Think all the sudden things are going to change.  

Surratt took the high road.  We were outgunned from the start because we were down 7 starters and did not have an adequate rushing attack.  We could not get to the edge.  Plus LV was loaded with 4-5 D1 prospects.  We will have to agree to disagree on Hyde vs Preston.

2 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Surratt took the high road.  We were outgunned from the start because we were down 7 starters and did not have an adequate rushing attack.  We could not get to the edge.  Plus LV was loaded with 4-5 D1 prospects.  We will have to agree to disagree on Hyde vs Preston.

I know Ingram got hurt the week before the 2015 game.  How many starters did you lose in that game or were they out the previous games too?

3 minutes ago, coachkells said:

I know Ingram got hurt the week before the 2015 game.  How many starters did you lose in that game or were they out the previous games too?

Did not lose any in that game.  Lost them in previous games.  Someone posted a list on one of these threads.  I’ll have to go find it.  Ingram & Brown were both out with leg injuries.  The others were O line & D line & a TE.

5 minutes ago, coachkells said:

If you lost all 7 starters in that game then I see your reasoning, if they had been out for a week of two when Carthage Beat Navasota and Silsbee then it not quite as big of an argument.  

Ingram was the difference in the Navasota game.  He gave us the run threat we did not have against LV.  Silsbee has no defense and we threw for over 400 yards and six TD’s against them.  LV would have probably still beat us in 2015.  They were just that good.  My point is the score would not have been 39-3.  LV is not the same animal in 2017 as they were in 2015.  Carthage is far better in 2017 than we were at this point in 2015.

31 minutes ago, coachkells said:

IMO Surratt and Williams is a push. 

This made me LOL.  Have i missed something the last 10 yrs?  Does williams have 5 titles in that timespan?  No?  Didnt think so.  Smh. May the best team and best coached team win..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

This made me LOL.  Have i missed something the last 10 yrs?  Does williams have 5 titles in that timespan?  No?  Didnt think so.  Smh. May the best team and best coached team win..

Just to be fair...titles does not mean best coach...both have won titles and had great teams. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Ingram was the difference in the Navasota game.  He gave us the run threat we did not have against LV.  Silsbee has no defense and we threw for over 400 yards and six TD’s against them.  LV would have probably still beat us in 2015.  They were just that good.  My point is the score would not have been 39-3.  LV is not the same animal in 2017 as they were in 2015.  Carthage is far better in 2017 than we were at this point in 2015.

Oh I agree 100% the game would of been much closer.  By no means do think this game will turn out like 2015.  It will be a close game either team could win this game.  

4 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

Just to be fair...titles does not mean best coach...both have won titles and had great teams. 

In Eleven seasons at Carthage he has 5 rings, two semi final appearances and has made the playoffs every year.  132-27 all time.  45-5 in the playoffs.  Does that add to the affect.  He is the best high school football coach in the state of Texas.  Not even close!!!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TxBroadcaster said:

When you factor in that most of the years that didnt result in titles we at least made it to the semi's, it does.  The records arent even close.  Carthage had exactly Zero titles prior to surratts arrival.  Fast forward 10 yrs and check out his record.  Hes virtually in a class by himself.  Having said all of that dont think for a second im not concerned about la vega.  I said as much earlier in the thread.

13 minutes ago, coachkells said:

Oh I agree 100% the game would of been much closer.  By no means do think this game will turn out like 2015.  It will be a close game either team could win this game.  

The game wouldve been closer perhaps but it was clear who had the better team.  No denying that one bit.  Gotta give credit where its due. Vega was bad to the bone that year.  Had 4 turnovers in the title game and STILL won.

See what we got here is a homer in coachkells. I was with him all the way until he said Williams and Surratt is a push. That is the understatement of this thread. Your telling me Williams is just as good as Surratt and has 1 ring to show for it? With the athletes La Vega has? Preston and Hyde can be debated all day. Nobody would win. But Surratt and Williams isn't even close. I mean Surratt might go down as the best all time if he stays in the HS ranks. I think he is already 12th in playoff wins all time. Tied for most championships by an active coach. He won't catch the al time wins guys, but he has the chance for most playoff wins and most championships. 

59 minutes ago, coachkells said:

IMO Surratt and Williams is a push.  Hyde would be my DC in a heart beat.  If you watch the end  2015 game Surratt said he got out coached. Same staff from 2015 with some slight changes.  Think all the sudden things are going to change.  

WHAT?? Surratt has 5 titles in 10 years compared to 1 for Williams over what, 30 years?

No way is Surratt and Williams a push, sorry, I completely disagree.

26 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Just curious, how do you know that to be a fact? And please don't bring Cobb and Benson being gone as a reasoning.

13 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

In Eleven seasons at Carthage he has 5 rings, two semi final appearances and has made the playoffs every year.  132-27 all time.  45-5 in the playoffs.  Does that add to the affect.  He is the best high school football coach in the state of Texas.  Not even close!!!!

Agree 100%

1 minute ago, Nick2011 said:

I may be in attendance for this game! I think it will be close for a half, then Carthage pulls away in the second half! 

My prediction:

Carthage- 45

La Vega- 21 

thats my prediction as well...close in the 1st and a come back in the 2nd for carthage 35-28

5 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

I may be in attendance for this game! I think it will be close for a half, then Carthage pulls away in the second half! 

My prediction:

Carthage- 45

La Vega- 21 

So you believe La Vega will give up 5x there season average in this game.  That is a bold prediction.  Have you even seen La Vega play?

1 minute ago, Eagleborn said:

Damn, Carthage folks.... Calm down. The man was giving his opinion. 

Be thankful he’s over here to give y’all someone to talk to instead of telling each other how great y’all are. 

I think most were agreeing with everything he said. I got no problem with any of it. All the people picking these 45-21 scores are way off in my opinion. La Vega might steam roll Carthage. But Williams = Surratt?