Carthage vs Waco La Vega at The Star Friday, December 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM

ctown94

Carthage vs La Vega  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (14-0) La Vega Pirates
    • (14-0) Carthage Bulldogs

17 minutes ago, DTrump said:

Sorry, this is more about how "good" Carthage is this year than the question asked, how do you know for a FACT that LV isn't as good as the 15 team? 

How do you know for a FACT that the 17 secondary as a whole is not as good as the Cobb-Benson secondary of 15?

You guys might look up Donta Stuart. 

28 minutes ago, DTrump said:

Sorry, this is more about how "good" Carthage is this year than the question asked, how do you know for a FACT that LV isn't as good as the 15 team? 

How do you know for a FACT that the 17 secondary as a whole is not as good as the Cobb-Benson secondary of 15?

Simple, LV had two DI guys and maybe three in 15. I have not read anywhere that any LV secondary player has an offer. Correct me if I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Navasota did not have a defense and Carthage didn't have much of one that year either. Those 2 teams gutted each other. Was fun to watch, but it would make some coaches cringe. That was still one of the best wins in the history of the Carthage program. No matter what Sota was #1 and on a huge winning streak. Up near 30 if I remember correctly. Great win in the history of the Carthage program regardless if the 2 teams played any defense or not.

And that was the week we were really introduced to a now almost famous teenager Keaontay Ingram.  

All three all staters that were missing  played defense and we knew our defense that year would be our eventful demises. Even if we won that game LV would have throttled us.

52 minutes ago, DTrump said:

Since you didn’t like my answer, I’ll answer your question with a question.  Do you think the 2017 LV secondary is as good as the 2015 secondary?  Inquiring minds want to know.

1 hour ago, coachkells said:

Question Mark Bell Good Coach?  He has never won a title taken many team deep in the playoffs in his 30 year at CS.  Surratt has been loaded in the time he has been there Maybe the coach before just didn't take advantage of the opportunities given to him.  Williams,  Bell and now Hulme are probably the best coaches in the region.  Surratt is a great coach and has taken full advantage of the talent he was given no doubt about that.  He has a great offense mind and makes great adjustment.  But if you can't say he hasn't had talent in those 10 years. Give Carthage talent to any coach over the past 10 years and I bet they have at least 4 titles.  

I call BS!

7 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Since you didn’t like my answer, I’ll answer your question with a question.  Do you think the 2017 LV secondary is as good as the 2015 secondary?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I never made the comment either way. But you did. Soooo, if you or me hasn't seen them play on a consistent basis it's just an assumption at best.

I'll say this I have liked the other side of the story that coachkells has given. Just don't know if I agree with the Surratt-Williams comparison. If I had to pick a HC today out of the two I would pick Surratt hands down.

7 minutes ago, DTrump said:

I never made the comment either way. But you did. Soooo, if you or me hasn't seen them play on a consistent basis it's just an assumption at best.

I'll say this I have liked the other side of the story that coachkells has given. Just don't know if I agree with the Surratt-Williams comparison. If I had to pick a HC today out of the two I would pick Surratt hands down.

And I stand by my comment.  We will see Fri night if my two cent evaluation of talent is worth three cents!  Even if I had stats and video with commentary you would not agree with me so we can just agree to disagree.  I too am happy coachkells joined in the conversation.  It’s always nice to get a different perspective.

LV Defense 2015 vs 2017

as a base I will also give the Carthage Defense, from what I have seen on film and all yall's jibber jabber.. lol..

Carthage '17     2015         2017

d-line                      8.0                   8.5             8.9

LB                          9.0                     9.0            9.0  

secondary             7.5                    9.5             8.7

choose to disagree if you want.  

2 hours ago, coachkells said:

Question Mark Bell Good Coach?  He has never won a title taken many team deep in the playoffs in his 30 year at CS.  Surratt has been loaded in the time he has been there Maybe the coach before just didn't take advantage of the opportunities given to him.  Williams,  Bell and now Hulme are probably the best coaches in the region.  Surratt is a great coach and has taken full advantage of the talent he was given no doubt about that.  He has a great offense mind and makes great adjustment.  But if you can't say he hasn't had talent in those 10 years. Give Carthage talent to any coach over the past 10 years and I bet they have at least 4 titles.  

In the past 10 years we have had talent, no doubt but any Carthage fans will tell you that we've had many more talented teams in the past. This is the best team we had in years but looking at Surratts other teams. We've had A LOT more talented teams and Carthage was always mediocre. So to say ANY coach is very foolish. We've had many and only ONE has put it all together. 

11 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

In the past 10 years we have had talent, no doubt but any Carthage fans will tell you that we've had many more talented teams in the past. This is the best team we had in years but looking at Surratts other teams. We've had A LOT more talented teams and Carthage was always mediocre. So to say ANY coach is very foolish. We've had many and only ONE has put it all together. 

When I said any coach I was talking about Williams and Bell.  I don't think any coach could do it but any of those could of.  

16 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

Tell ‘em ctown81. Carthage has ALWAYS had the talent - for decades - and only won state championships after Surratt’s arrival. 

Think about what Surratt would’ve done with the 1991 Bulldogs.

4 hours ago, coachkells said:

IMO Surratt and Williams is a push.  Hyde would be my DC in a heart beat.  If you watch the end  2015 game Surratt said he got out coached. Same staff from 2015 with some slight changes.  Think all the sudden things are going to change.  

Five state championships in 10 years and it is a push.....lol

14 minutes ago, coachkells said:

When I said any coach I was talking about Williams and Bell.  I don't think any coach could do it but any of those could of.  

You could make a very, very strong argument that Williams has better talent year in and year out. As a matter of fact I think if you put up a pole on who had more talent year to year La Vega would win. I have only been following La Vega for 3 years but they have reloaded every year with top tier 4a talent. What I think these boys are probably doing different theblast 3 years than the LV teams of the past is playing disciplined football. 

Bell is different. He isn't coaching with the kind of talent they have at La Vega. Last D1 level ball player I can remember for China Spring was Mike Hicks. I know they had a couple ball players at LB last year, but I'm talking sure enough big time talent. LV has had prolly 7-8 since then. But I might be wrong. I don't follow Centex very closely.

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Tell ‘em ctown81. Carthage has ALWAYS had the talent - for decades - and only won state championships after Surratt’s arrival. 

Think about what Surratt would’ve done with the 1991 Bulldogs.

Coach Everett "Sleepy" Reynolds did a fine job that year going into The Astrodome with a 15-0 record to face a very prepared A&M Consolidated team; Sometimes it just shakes out that way....