6A Division II State Semi-Final: Longview (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway (14-0)

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Hewitt Midway Panthers (14-0)  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a close one
    • Hewitt Midway in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2017 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Weather.com calling for 21 mph winds for Saturday in Allen...

thats normal for North DFW... if you are going to throw it, throw it with the wind though... the winds out here can make 100mph darts look like a scene from the Matrix...

2 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

I watched almost every game Kirt Griffin played. To me he was the best pro style QB we ever had.  He had the arm, size and smarts. Just in the wrong offense and era of Lobo football.  Haynes is going to be the best ever QB to come out of LHS by the times he's done. This is just my humble opinion.  

You may be too young to remember Jeb Blount. Graduated in 1972. Went on University of Tulsa, then was Jim Plunkett's backup for the Oakland Raiders (Super Bowl Champion) . I know that this dates me, however he IS the most accomplished Lobo qb in our history so far.  Then there was Steve Judy ('68) TCU and some guy named James Street ('67) UT who championed Texas to a National Championship.   That being said, Haynes King is on his way to being the most prolific passer in LHS history.  His raw talent is off the chain. He has now 'played/started' the equivalent of a ten game season. He will only get better. I agree that he could become the GOAT. For now though, I want for him to keep a steady hand and get ONE more win..  MIDWAY.. then worry about whoever might be next!!

GO LOBOS!!

• Like 1

I also want to give credit for the refs this past Saturday. We went crazy on those refs from the Fort Worth chapter following the KC game. So feel it's only right to give the Houston chapter props for a very well called game vs Lp.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I also want to give credit for the refs this past Saturday. We went crazy on those refs from the Fort Worth chapter following the KC game. So feel it's only right to give the Houston chapter props for a very well called game vs Lp.

Except that one  fumble.....

Last time Midway traveled to play a team with a winning record was against Temple (10-4) back in mid September. 

Cedar Ridge, a team Midway dominated for the most part, is still playing in the Semis this week against Allen in 6A D1.

Midway has played three playoff games in Waco, one at AT&T. First two wins were against teams with 5-6 and 5-7 records. Then of course Southlake, who lost their star running back the previous week.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:36 PM, LoboFan07 said:

This is really a week I think we need use Carter and Jessie in the backfield a lot tbh. We’re gonna have to have a consistent rushing attack to open our passing game up. 

So much this. As high on Haynes as I am, the offense shouldn't have to rely on his arm. I would love to batter Midway with A.C. and Jessie. Some zone-read stuff. Make that secondary creep in. Gradually start hitting them on the perimeter with some quick passes. Then take shots downfield. Make it so that, by the 3rd quarter, they don't know where we're coming from. There's no tendencies to exploit. 

50 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Last time Midway traveled to play a team with a winning record was against Temple (10-4) back in mid September. 

Cedar Ridge, a team Midway dominated for the most part, is still playing in the Semis this week against Allen in 6A D1.

Midway has played three playoff games in Waco, one at AT&T. First two wins were against teams with 5-6 and 5-7 records. Then of course Southlake, who lost their star running back the previous week.

I guess these things help me feel a LITTLE bit better about them absolutely blowing through their competition.

Temple was a good 5A team. Cedar Ridge is a VERY good 6A team.... Much better than earlier in the year when they lost to Midway (they beat Pflugerville Hendrickson by like 2 TDs earlier in the year and absolutely romped them Saturday, I think). 

It does help me feel like they are beatable, but we all know we can't make the same mistakes we did vs LP. And we'll have to play very well, especially on the lines.... Namely D Line. 

I wish I knew what happened in the Mansfield game. Because that's really the only result that scares me. Mansfield was a pretty good team from everything I had read and seen, even if they did have a bad loss to FM Marcus.

From the sounds of it, Mansfield was in it at 17-14 Midway...then the Panthers just took off after the halftime was over. Tigers were up 10-0 early before the Panthers came back.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I wish I knew what happened in the Mansfield game. Because that's really the only result that scares me. Mansfield was a pretty good team from everything I had read and seen, even if they did have a bad loss to FM Marcus.

From the sounds of it, Mansfield was in it at 17-14 Midway...then the Panthers just took off after the halftime was over. Tigers were up 10-0 early before the Panthers came back.

LT's nephew #1 came up and popped the RB and stole the ball from him and went 91 yards for a 14 point swing. Midway shut down their running game

12 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

The addition of Jessie Anderson back offensively will be a huge key for Longview in this matchup.

Why it took until the 3rd quarter to even insert him into this past game is absolutely mind boggling ? 

One can argue the Lobos were "getting by" alright without him but wow what an unmitigated difference maker #5 is running downhill and pounding over the opposition on defense. 

He's a man among boys... that's not an exaggeration either !

I'm still none too pleased with the HC for stubbornly waiting to put him back into the fold when he was available earlier IN THE FIRST HALF !?! Thank goodness he finally came to his senses...lol !

Now, i say feed the BEAST in between the Tackles, run the jet sweep with the speed of Williams and Edwards, throw in a little more option with HK & then the play action passes stay wide open to either the TE's or WR's !

Of course, dealing with the Midway offensive weapons will be an interesting challenge. However, IF we can somehow win the time of possession battle for the first time in many weeks then that would definitely help the Lobos out on Defense.

Probably to keep Lufkin from game planning him and making adjustments for him at half.. Perfect time to turn him loose, when they can't adjust for him at half. Jmho. 

Everybody is focused on midways prolific offense.. Let me create a little scenario for you here... Longview wins toss and elects to recieve, straight from the jump puts king in rollout and pass to Carter across the middle, behind the safeties because they came up to support the possible run, Carter scores,  Kick good. 7-0 lobo's pin midway deep and forces punt, and special teams bring it back to midfield, run Anderson for 5 and now defense has to defend the entire offense... Midway hasn't been jumped all season, they tripballs.. Lobo's can flip them and force them to play uphill all game.. A one point win is as good as a hundred.. I can see a 21+win for lobo's.. Js. 

Remember, nobody has mugged them from the jump, they could implode.. Oh well it's a theory.. Hahahaha 

Lobo's need to force them to play stupid on offense and run absolutely wild on offense,take them out of their comfort zone and make them throw for first downs, lobo's secondary is pretty good at picking pass, especially into a stiff wind. A powerhouse offense that gets stifled tends to get brittle and cracks, tends to take chances and make mistakes, at this point in the season, mistakes can be lethal. Lobo's take this one and go to Jerry's world.. Chain out.... 

• LOL! 1

51 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Probably to keep Lufkin from game planning him and making adjustments for him at half.. Perfect time to turn him loose, when they can't adjust for him at half. Jmho. 

I suppose that could have been the HC thinking and plan as well.

Though once he was brought into the game it made a difference. but why not earlier say when the Lobos were up by 10 to run the clock and attempt to put the proverbial foot on the throat ?

We'll never know for sure but using him more now should be a part of the game plan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Everybody is focused on midways prolific offense.. Let me create a little scenario for you here... Longview wins toss and elects to recieve

Remember, nobody has mugged them from the jump, they could implode.. Oh well it's a theory

Two problems with that.

1) We haven’t elected to receive all season I don’t believe. We’ve deferred every time we’ve won the toss.

2) People have jumped out on them. They were down 10-0 early to Mansfield. And have been down a couple times throughout the year and like Longview, found a way to win.