Kids should be able to attend any school they like for sports purposes as long as they move to the district.

ctown81

2 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

09-03-04 Section 1202 (b) – Employment of Coaches: Compensation (not included as part of the coach’s salary at the beginning of the school year) for progress past the district level of competition is considered pay for success in the UIL competitive activity and a violation of Section 1202. Advancement beyond the first level of competition is one of the goals of any UIL activity and is a desired expectation of the salary and stipend set by the board of trustees prior to the school year. 

The appendix I of your rule.

trust me it's legal. Our district cleared it through UIL.  If paid before the year starts it can be funded by a booster club.  The rule is set so that coaches don't get paid above what the district pays a coach.  It also refers to contracted coaches, its kind of complicated..... call UIL. We did.

Have you ever worked at a large multi-school district? 

The reason I ask is because before I came here I thought the same thing.  Found out that the UIL allows it.  

Does the booster club pay the stipend directly to the coach?

7 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

09-03-04 Section 1202 (b) – Employment of Coaches: Compensation (not included as part of the coach’s salary at the beginning of the school year) for progress past the district level of competition is considered pay for success in the UIL competitive activity and a violation of Section 1202. Advancement beyond the first level of competition is one of the goals of any UIL activity and is a desired expectation of the salary and stipend set by the board of trustees prior to the school year. 

The appendix I of your rule.

trust me it's legal. Our district cleared it through UIL.  If paid before the year starts it can be funded by a booster club.  The rule is set so that coaches don't get paid above what the district pays a coach.  It also refers to contracted coaches, its kind of complicated..... call UIL. We did.

Have you ever worked at a large multi-school district? 

The reason I ask is because before I came here I thought the same thing.  Found out that the UIL allows it.  

Nope.....never did.......

5 hours ago, coachc45 said:

Yeah they(Canton) are one of the exceptions to the tuba rule. 

Canton never loses band members, but they did lose a couple talented football players some years back, when those kids moved east for some reason.  I never did know why though.

10 minutes ago, LSUTIGERS said:

Does the booster club pay the stipend directly to the coach?

No. I said "paid" the coach I should've said funded the coach. The coach is paid through the district, the funds are donated from the booster club.  We just say "paid by the booster club". 

Basically each school in our district gets the same number of coaches, regardless of #'s in the program. Our school has 4 baseball coaches and 4 teams. Run about 100 kids in the program. To get another coach our booster club funds the 5th coach. It's really quite legal.  Have several programs that do this. Several schools in our area do it also.  

7 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Nope.....never did.......

I hadn't coached above 4A until i came here. We have 5 schools in this district, 4 6A and 1 5A. Every school gets equal. We need more coaches than some other schools due to numbers, this is the solution to the problem and UIL allows it

11 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

So again...why is it somewhat fair in sports but every other thing a school competes in it is ok with no issue? How fair is it for a guy who worked hard in drama to have his sr year to have a new kid who has the more natural ability come in and get the lead role for UIL?

Very well said!!!

17 hours ago, TxBroadcaster said:

I have a bigger issue with the competing coaches ruling on it. We actually talked about that on a show this year. 

how do you remedy that without having a paid oversight committee for each district?

10 hours ago, Lambo said:

If a family is willing to up and leave their home and move into a district then it is not recruiting...

Exactly, the best recruiting tool has been and always will be WINNING...  Families will move to a winner.  Chris Peterson turned Boise St into a winning program with a bunch of cast off 2-3*s and now they are a perennial top 25 team every year... Carthage was just another school when I was in High School... They came in with a great coach and won and now people want to live in Carthage... Who really wants to live in Gilmer?  But super competitive dad wants his good athlete son to experience a program built the right way, so he sells his home and moves to Mike Myers back yard so he can have the best for his kid...

I am against recruiting/cheating...  but if mom and dad want to move from Mineral Wells to Aledo so their son can have a better school experience... I'd be ok with that... Hell, we have kids move in from Perrin and some of these other hick towns west of FTW for that same reason...  they never say its for athletics, but its pretty clear in some cases that is one of the factors.

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Exactly, the best recruiting tool has been and always will be WINNING...  Families will move to a winner.  Chris Peterson turned Boise St into a winning program with a bunch of cast off 2-3*s and now they are a perennial top 25 team every year... Carthage was just another school when I was in High School... They came in with a great coach and won and now people want to live in Carthage... Who really wants to live in Gilmer?  But super competitive dad wants his good athlete son to experience a program built the right way, so he sells his home and moves to Mike Myers back yard so he can have the best for his kid...

I am against recruiting/cheating...  but if mom and dad want to move from Mineral Wells to Aledo so their son can have a better school experience... I'd be ok with that... Hell, we have kids move in from Perrin and some of these other hick towns west of FTW for that same reason...  they never say its for athletics, but its pretty clear in some cases that is one of the factors.

MavGrad99, my question would be, "what family would move to the town of a very successful football team if they didn't already know their kid would play"? I could agree if they are moving when their kid or kids were young, but as a Soph, Jr or Sr, just to move hoping their kid would play, I don't see it unless they have been contacted or they have contacted either a coach or someone that can assure their kid a spot. 

Who really wants to live in Gilmer?  But super competitive dad wants his good athlete son to experience a program built the right way, so he sells his home and moves to Mike Myers back yard so he can have the best for his kid...

Hey HEYYY!!!  Watch the Upshur County smack, Mav. I happen to have a lot of family in and around Barnwell Mountain.

There's some beautiful country up there...  if you can tolerate the Buckeye bandwagoners.  :D  

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

how do you remedy that without having a paid oversight committee for each district?

What we discussed on the show was I have an idea that you still have the committees but they rule on other regions or even other classes. Nothing is ever perfect at all so there is no WIN scenario unless they just drop the archaic rule. 

40 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

MavGrad99, my question would be, "what family would move to the town of a very successful football team if they didn't already know their kid would play"? I could agree if they are moving when their kid or kids were young, but as a Soph, Jr or Sr, just to move hoping their kid would play, I don't see it unless they have been contacted or they have contacted either a coach or someone that can assure their kid a spot. 

Well, there are 2 types of parents at play here...

(1) The parent who wants their kid to win (the kid that would start and play very few places)

(2) The parent who wants their kid to play and win

I get both sides of this... I just don't think its that big of a deal if the education and safety of the school is also an upgrade

I disagree with this one.  My family raises Registered Angus Cattle.  For years my dad would go and buy a show calf from the best breeders in the country for my son and my nephew.  Kilgore Junior College comes and picks one out of his own pasture and won the Houston Stock show 3 years in a row.  We have won more with our own than from the "Best" in the business.

8 minutes ago, GoBigBlue said:

I disagree with this one.  My family raises Registered Angus Cattle.  For years my dad would go and buy a show calf from the best breeders in the country for my son and my nephew.  Kilgore Junior College comes and picks one out of his own pasture and won the Houston Stock show 3 years in a row.  We have won more with our own than from the "Best" in the business.

I am just repeating what every AG teacher has ever told me. 

Either way if you don’t understand the difference between competition of another person is doing their best to make you lose and an Ag show. I can not help you. 

On 12/14/2017 at 6:51 AM, ctown81 said:

Someone please help me understand this double standard. If your child goes to a school with subpar educators, it's applauded to move your child to another school to help better their future. On the other hand, it is frowned upon to move your kid from a school with subpar coaching to a school with a coaching staff who are better suited to hone their skill set to help better their future. There's something definitely wrong with this picture.

You think it’s ok for a kid to get kicked off of one team and transfer to another school?

Asking  a friend. 

Well, there are 2 types of parents at play here...

(1) The parent who wants their kid to win (the kid that would start and play very few places)

(2) The parent who wants their kid to play and win

I get both sides of this... I just don't think its that big of a deal if the education and safety of the school is also an upgrade

I can definitely agree with your last statement!