Pleasant Grove vs WOS state final

orangethunder1

Pleasant Grove vs WOS  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (15-0) Pleasant Grove Hawks
    • (13-0) West Orange-Stark Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:00 PM

1 minute ago, Hawkguy888 said:

We are in total disagreement here. Gibson is one of the brightest young coaches in the state. It’s a wash in coaching to me. Both are great. 

I have no doubt.  But one of the brightest young coaches in the state vs Cornel Thompson.  Give me Cornel Thompson.  Every.  Time.  Period. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PGDad said:

:) I had a big ol rant prepared but looks like some of my fine fellow PG folks have been channeling the old PGDad and have surpassed my enthusiasm. 

I have no doubt we will win handily. This is a team of destiny and all this talk about us being new to winning blah blah is horse ####. These boys are winners and have been for years, no reason to think that will change Friday just because we have another challenge to face. We are up to it!

They got your back PGDad. 

• LOL! 1

29 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

But at least you called it a wash.  Calling coaching your team’s “biggest advantage” vs WOS may be the cutest thing I’ve ever read on the interwebs!  :lol:

Sure, WOS has a good coaching staff, for the most part...

Let's just say we have Karma on our side.

1 hour ago, PGDad said:

:) I had a big ol rant prepared but looks like some of my fine fellow PG folks have been channeling the old PGDad and have surpassed my enthusiasm. 

I have no doubt we will win handily. This is a team of destiny and all this talk about us being new to winning blah blah is horse ####. These boys are winners and have been for years, no reason to think that will change Friday just because we have another challenge to face. We are up to it!

"Handily"???? Really????

I hope PG wins and they should have an ultra high level of confidence because who they have beaten to get there. But, to say anybody is going to beat WOS "handily" is asinine.

WOS has won two State Championships in a row and this is their 4th trip in a row. You can not discount that experience, for the coaches and the players.

WOS will have the best defense that PG has faced this year, and PG will probably have the best defense that WOS has faced this year.

Cornell Thompson and his staff are great coaches and have been in this game a few times, experience gives WOS the edge.

PG will have to throw the ball to win this game, maybe more than they have all year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Ummm, no lol

But don’t feel bad.  Very few teams in the state wouldn’t be at a big disadvantage there. 

When Jimmy Johnson came to the NFL and coached his first game against either Chuck Knoll or Don Shula, who do you think people at the time thought was the better coach? 

• Like 1

I'm not saying that WOS will win this game, but for some people to say that PG has an advantage coaching wise is good-humor. The WOS coaches will be coaching in their 4th straight state championship game. PG is about to face the worst WOS team in the past four years, yet, they're still in the state title game. That is what's most impressing to me. That has a lot to do with coaching; they keep finding a way to win. May the best team win!

2 hours ago, PGDad said:

Wow, 13 pages and I'm just now getting to put in my 2 cents...

I think our biggest advantage is our game plan, coaching, and how coachable our Hawks are. They have the athleticism, brains, and drive to come out on top. We are healthy, smart, and motivated...be prepared for the Hawks to put on a show. 

PG 35

WOS 18

No offense, and I’m sure y’all have a great coaching staff obviously since your in the big game, but i wouldn’t claim the advantage. Coach Thompson and staff seem like they know what they are doing as well.

Just now, BiggieSmalls said:

I'm not saying that WOS will win this game, but for some people to say that PG has an advantage coaching wise is good-humor. The WOS coaches will be coaching in their 4th straight state championship game. PG is about to face the worst WOS team in the past four years, yet, they're still in the state title game. That is what's most impressing to me. That has a lot to do with coaching; they keep finding a way to win. May the best team win!

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, CF21 said:

When Jimmy Johnson came to the NFL and coached his first game against either Chuck Knoll or Don Shula, who do you think people at the time thought was the better coach? 

Don Shula and Chuck Noll were and still are and always will be better coaches that Jimmy Johnson. They did it for longer and they won more.

1 minute ago, playactionpass39 said:

Don Shula and Chuck Noll were and still are and always will be better coaches that Jimmy Johnson. They did it for longer and they won more.

So in 1991 do you think either of them had a coaching advantage over Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys?

33 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

"Handily"???? Really????

I hope PG wins and they should have an ultra high level of confidence because who they have beaten to get there. But, to say anybody is going to beat WOS "handily" is asinine.

WOS has won two State Championships in a row and this is their 4th trip in a row. You can not discount that experience, for the coaches and the players.

WOS will have the best defense that PG has faced this year, and PG will probably have the best defense that WOS has faced this year.

Cornell Thompson and his staff are great coaches and have been in this game a few times, experience gives WOS the edge.

PG will have to throw the ball to win this game, maybe more than they have all year. 

Not a lot of facts that matter there...just wind. 

10 minutes ago, BiggieSmalls said:

Talkin loud and sayin nothin. Coaching in their 4th? Sounds like they are getting complacent. Their team is on a downswing. We keep hearing that...seems like a reoccurring theme, ya'll are all ready with the excuses.

“I grew up a f***ing screw up, got introduced to the game, got an ounce and f***ing blew up.” I believe you were talking about us when you rapped this.

10 minutes ago, LTrain11 said:

No offense, and I’m sure y’all have a great coaching staff obviously since your in the big game, but i wouldn’t claim the advantage. Coach Thompson and staff seem like they know what they are doing as well.

Yeah...I've got my reason and I'm sure most of the coaching staff is pretty good but....

2 minutes ago, CF21 said:

So in 1991 do you think either of them had a coaching advantage over Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys?

Yes and as a Cowboys fan I am well aware of the outcomes of those game.

When two teams are physically equal in talent, especially at the high school level, coaching and experience in big games definitely plays a factor.

That advantage is in WOS favor.

Will it determine the outcome of the game, that is yet to be decided.

22 minutes ago, longhorncrazy said:

For those talking about strength of schedule being PG's advantage, saw this on another site:

Strength of schedule:

Combined record of Pleasant Grove opponents: 75-74

Combined record of West Orange-Stark opponents: 82-66

NO WAY!! Can't be true. 75-74. Hell I thought these guys were the 85 Bears!

• LOL! 2

27 minutes ago, longhorncrazy said:

For those talking about strength of schedule being PG's advantage, saw this on another site:

Strength of schedule:

Combined record of Pleasant Grove opponents: 75-74

Combined record of West Orange-Stark opponents: 82-66

PG opponents went 95-81

WOS opponents went 84-60

25 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Yes and as a Cowboys fan I am well aware of the outcomes of those game.

When two teams are physically equal in talent, especially at the high school level, coaching and experience in big games definitely plays a factor.

That advantage is in WOS favor.

Will it determine the outcome of the game, that is yet to be decided.

I think you are right but your reasoning is flawed. The advantage goes to PG. I think 4 trips breeds complacency and teams often become static. Believing that what you have always done will breed the same results is dangerous. The catchphrase "We ain't what we used to be" proves that point. I'm sure the level of play to get where you are, is not much different from last year. This is where the Hawks differ. We have improved every year with Gibson at the helm, WOS has not. We have raised our level of play beyond what every team was expecting. The same will happen with WOS. They will come out on fire but quickly realize they are fighting a losing battle. PG's coaching staff is on another level. When I watch WOS film, I see some good plays, some well-coached kids, but nothing next level. It all seems predictable, you can't do that with PG. Watching film will get you nowhere but confused. I'm sure it will be a good game but it's time for WOS to pass the torch...you're too old to rock, no more rockin for you! We're sending you to a home.

On 12/16/2017 at 12:19 PM, 1utexfan said:

Name a team WOS has faced this year that has 300+ lb athletic linemen on both sides of the ball. That doesn't happen at the 4A level very often.  Win or lose WOS will feel the pounding that the PG defense and offense lines put on them for days to come.  

Kennedale had a couple of 290 pounders. It helps that three teams in our area we play all run the same offense as yours. Should be a terrific game but if you think its over by halftime you will be wrong. Yes, you will hit some plays on the Chain Gang, but you have to cash it in. Playoff experience in state games usually means a lot also. Should be a close and outstanding game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1