Pleasant Grove vs WOS state final

orangethunder1

Pleasant Grove vs WOS  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (15-0) Pleasant Grove Hawks
    • (13-0) West Orange-Stark Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:00 PM

Offense

wos will have to rely on the big play against PG because they have not demonstrated an ability to drive the field. They will also have to throw the ball, which is something they are not very good at, because the running game will be "unavailable". They will need short fields and luck to score on offense.

PG has demonstrated they can move the football on every defense they have played this season. They can grind out long drives or hit a home run. They have 4 high quaility runners that may have the ball in their hand on every play. They also have a VERY underrated passing attack. I'm not saying they're Gilmer, but they are definitely well above average. 

Defense

wos is incredible on defense, it is the foundation of their long standing success. They will have to play flawless disciplined defense and try to push PG into being uncomfortable. Should be a dog fight in the trenches and a battle of wills. 

PG is strong. Their front seven will have a definite advantage over the mustang o'line. I would not look for them to try to pressure the wos offense and create gaps since the QB is not as much of a threat to throw as he is to run. I think PG will play a contained pass rush and possibly spy the QB. I think the same game plan they used on the LE QB will work here even though the LE quarterback is a much better passer. 

My take:

I believe that the game will not be a blowout, but it will not be close. If anyone watched the Carthage vs Henderson game a few weeks ago, it never really felt like Carthage was blowing Henderson out, yet the score ended up 35-0. Both of these teams are outstanding or they would not be here, but I think that PG is a perfect storm this season. Everything has come together at precisely the right time. Last time I saw wos under the pressure of feeling outmatched( 2nd half of the Gilmer game), they made a lot of mistakes and lost their composure. I think in the middle of the second quarter, wos is going to realize they are outmatched and things are going to snowball. Mistakes will turn into points for PG and a stalled offense will cause wos to try some trick plays or fake punts. wos has fought through adversity in the playoffs this season, but will not be able to rely on the 99.9 yard QB sneak or the punt return that takes 10 minutes to score in this game. 

1                2             3             4

PG                         7               14           14           7               42

wos                       0               7              0            7                14

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

6 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

IMO.... since we’re talking SOS...

You can’t compare opponents records for SOS... That’s just silly. Gotta look at those opponents. 

PG has clearly played a tougher schedule this season. 

I was going to say this exact thing. Several of the teams PG played had the toughest schedules in all of 4A including the #1 ranked hardest schedule was in their district. Plus, the team with the worst record in district that PG beat could have made the playoffs in other districts and regions. 

5 minutes ago, CF21 said:

Offense

wos will have to rely on the big play against PG because they have not demonstrated an ability to drive the field. They will also have to throw the ball, which is something they are not very good at, because the running game will be "unavailable". They will need short fields and luck to score on offense.

PG has demonstrated they can move the football on every defense they have played this season. They can grind out long drives or hit a home run. They have 4 high quaility runners that may have the ball in their hand on every play. They also have a VERY underrated passing attack. I'm not saying they're Gilmer, but they are definitely well above average. 

Defense

wos is incredible on defense, it is the foundation of their long standing success. They will have to play flawless disciplined defense and try to push PG into being uncomfortable. Should be a dog fight in the trenches and a battle of wills. 

PG is strong. Their front seven will have a definite advantage over the mustang o'line. I would not look for them to try to pressure the wos offense and create gaps since the QB is not as much of a threat to throw as he is to run. I think PG will play a contained pass rush and possibly spy the QB. I think the same game plan they used on the LE QB will work here even though the LE quarterback is a much better passer. 

My take:

I believe that the game will not be a blowout, but it will not be close. If anyone watched the Carthage vs Henderson game a few weeks ago, it never really felt like Carthage was blowing Henderson out, yet the score ended up 35-0. Both of these teams are outstanding or they would not be here, but I think that PG is a perfect storm this season. Everything has come together at precisely the right time. Last time I saw wos under the pressure of feeling outmatched( 2nd half of the Gilmer game), they made a lot of mistakes and lost their composure. I think in the middle of the second quarter, wos is going to realize they are outmatched and things are going to snowball. Mistakes will turn into points for PG and a stalled offense will cause wos to try some trick plays or fake punts. wos has fought through adversity in the playoffs this season, but will not be able to rely on the 99.9 yard QB sneak or the punt return that takes 10 minutes to score in this game. 

PG                         7               14           14           7               42

wos                       0               7              0            7                14

You have to have writers cramps after all this. This is funnier than the cartoons you all say I read!

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, Stangx2 said:

Kennedale had a couple of 290 pounders. It helps that three teams in our area we play all run the same offense as yours. Should be a terrific game but if you think its over by halftime you will be wrong. Yes, you will hit some plays on the Chain Gang, but you have to cash it in. Playoff experience in state games usually means a lot also. Should be a close and outstanding game.

Playoff experience in big games does mean a lot. I agree 100%. WOS has been to this game 4 years in a row. Impressive. You guys should halve a SLIGHT advantage in this area though. PG has 22 seniors on his team that have been to the playoffs 4 years in a row. Granted, it wasn’t the state title game, but we have played in big venues as well. “The STAR, Toyota Field”... 

should be great matchups all over the field In every phase. I’m excited 

6 minutes ago, PGDad said:

I think you are right but your reasoning is flawed. The advantage goes to PG. I think 4 trips breeds complacency and teams often become static. Believing that what you have always done will breed the same results is dangerous. The catchphrase "We ain't what we used to be" proves that point. I'm sure the level of play to get where you are, is not much different from last year. This is where the Hawks differ. We have improved every year with Gibson at the helm, WOS has not. We have raised our level of play beyond what every team was expecting. The same will happen with WOS. They will come out on fire but quickly realize they are fighting a losing battle. PG's coaching staff is on another level. When I watch WOS film, I see some good plays, some well-coached kids, but nothing next level. It all seems predictable, you can't do that with PG. Watching film will get you nowhere but confused. I'm sure it will be a good game but it's time for WOS to pass the torch...you're too old to rock, no more rockin for you! We're sending you to a home.

I do think that PG will win this game, but you are comical. I have to get off of the thread because you make my eyes bleed with the dumb comments you post. Good luck to both teams. 

7 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

IMO.... since we’re talking SOS...

You can’t compare opponents records for SOS... That’s just silly. Gotta look at those opponents. 

PG has clearly played a tougher schedule this season. 

Don't post accurate info for those "folk", doesn't fit their narrative. ;)

10 minutes ago, PGDad said:

I think you are right but your reasoning is flawed. The advantage goes to PG. I think 4 trips breeds complacency and teams often become static. Believing that what you have always done will breed the same results is dangerous. The catchphrase "We ain't what we used to be" proves that point. I'm sure the level of play to get where you are, is not much different from last year. This is where the Hawks differ. We have improved every year with Gibson at the helm, WOS has not. We have raised our level of play beyond what every team was expecting. The same will happen with WOS. They will come out on fire but quickly realize they are fighting a losing battle. PG's coaching staff is on another level. When I watch WOS film, I see some good plays, some well-coached kids, but nothing next level. It all seems predictable, you can't do that with PG. Watching film will get you nowhere but confused. I'm sure it will be a good game but it's time for WOS to pass the torch...you're too old to rock, no more rockin for you! We're sending you to a home.

You may very well be right.

PG definitely plays with a chip on their shoulder and plays every game like they are the underdog. They do have an edge and it may very well be the difference in the game.

For the Hawks sake, I hope they do not get overwhelmed by the moment.

2 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

You may very well be right.

PG definitely plays with a chip on their shoulder and plays every game like they are the underdog. They do have an edge and it may very well be the difference in the game.

For the Hawks sake, I hope they do not get overwhelmed by the moment.

This is where coaching comes into play  also playing at the star 3 times and Toyota stadium for these seniors helps too. The venue won’t make them googly eyed nor will the opponents record or reputation. We beat gilmer in gilmer in district. Hadn’t happened in 17 years. Yes gilmer was down this year, but WOS fans keep saying they are “down” a Little this year too. Streaks are made to be broken man. This game can’t get here fast enough. 

20 minutes ago, PGDad said:

When you don’t win the championship you still have room to improve.....when you win it two times in a row you didn’t get better and evidently  you got complacent?   That is your argument here?!?!  

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

No, the 83 Daingertield Tigers

Not even close for any team since '83. That Daingerfield defense not only didn't give up points, they hardly gave up yardage. If you crossed midfield you had something to celebrate. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkguy888 said:

This is where coaching comes into play  also playing at the star 3 times and Toyota stadium for these seniors helps too. The venue won’t make them googly eyed nor will the opponents record or reputation. We beat gilmer in gilmer in district. Hadn’t happened in 17 years. Yes gilmer was down this year, but WOS fans keep saying they are “down” a Little this year too. Streaks are made to be broken man. This game can’t get here fast enough. 

I'm not here to argue, and you could very well be spot on.

However, it is not just the venue (PG has not played in AT&T) it is the moment. State Championship games are an entirely different animal.

And PG must be willing to throw the ball early and often,.

19 minutes ago, CF21 said:

Offense

Defense

My take:

If your not Gilmer from three years ago your NOT EVER gonna score 42 (that 2014 Gilmer team scored 35) points on the fastest defense in the state at this level. WOS offense can create a big play at any moment (especially on special teams). Many teams had tried to run up the middle on a  traditional smaller Chain Gang front. I don't remember many of them having success because of our quickness. PG will be a test for sure, if PG receivers are fast enough to outrun WOS defensive backs they may have a chance.

1 hour ago, PGDad said:

Not a lot of facts that matter there...just wind. 

Talkin loud and sayin nothin. Coaching in their 4th? Sounds like they are getting complacent. Their team is on a downswing. We keep hearing that...seems like a reoccurring theme, ya'll are all ready with the excuses.

“I grew up a f***ing screw up, got introduced to the game, got an ounce and f***ing blew up.” I believe you were talking about us when you rapped this.

Yeah...I've got my reason and I'm sure most of the coaching staff is pretty good but....

actually Coach T will be coaching in his 8th title game, just 4 as head coach though. Not really on a downswing just a younger team still coming together.

Edited by Stangx2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, playactionpass39 said:

Don Shula and Chuck Noll were and still are and always will be better coaches that Jimmy Johnson. They did it for longer and they won more.

When WOS lost 19 seniors, 18 of them starters, off a team that had been to 3 straight title games, and back to back champions, do you think most thought they’d be back unbeaten looking for a 3 peat?

• Thanks 3

Just now, 1utexfan said:

There will never be a team like the 83 Tigers. Had a killer defense and offense. Never seen anything like it. I was laying 40 points through the playoffs and still won...

So true and against some really good teams.

42 minutes ago, PGDad said:

I think we have done pretty well...best winning percentage in history of Texas high school football with a handful more games to qualify. You will be qualified to have an opinion on that when PG develops a legacy. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Didn't say you weren't. Just making a comment.

19 minutes ago, 1utexfan said:

There will never be a team like the 83 Tigers. Had a killer defense and offense. Never seen anything like it. I was laying 40 points through the playoffs and still won...

You’d think that’s who some here were rooting for

30 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I'm not here to argue, and you could very well be spot on.

However, it is not just the venue (PG has not played in AT&T) it is the moment. State Championship games are an entirely different animal.

And PG must be willing to throw the ball early and often,.

I’d have to go back and watch film, but I’m willing to bet Pg has thrown it on the first play from scrimmage at least 1/2 the games