Pleasant Grove vs WOS state final

orangethunder1

Pleasant Grove vs WOS  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (15-0) Pleasant Grove Hawks
    • (13-0) West Orange-Stark Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:00 PM

1 minute ago, Caloosa9955 said:

They haven't played anyone that is 1) this good on defense 2) this fast 3) as well coached 

Coach Thompson has been defending this offense since Josh Gibson has been alive...

I’ve stated it here already, he said they’ve seen it 26 times in 3 years

The reason PG is able to get to the edge is because of the threat of the vertical passing game. The block the edge and the Safety has to run the alley to stop the speed sweep. When the Safety starts reacting to the speed sweep to quickly then the play action pass comes into play and the Safety is beat of the top on the vertical route. This is why PG gives people fits.

3 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

They haven't played anyone that is 1) this good on defense 2) this fast 3) as well coached 

Coach Thompson has been defending this offense since Josh Gibson has been alive...

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

I’ve stated it here already, he said they’ve seen it 26 times in 3 years

Nobody in SETX, that runs the Slot-T or the Wing-T, throw the ball as well as PG. If there is an issue for WOS, the passing game is the concern.

The other thing everyone needs to look at is how WOS played Kennedale. Kennedale runs a very similar offense and has ALOT better kids than PG. Not taking anything away from PG, but if Kennedale can't score more than 21 on that defense.... PG won't either. Better play great defense and cause some turnovers. This game is not going to be about either offense. Big boy football...Defense is going to win this one

39 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

Here's my two cents on this deal.

PG plays the type of ball that will give them a chance to win the game. They are very physical up front and will be MUCH larger up front than WOS. I hate the style of offense they play, but they are about as good at running it as anyone. The tempo in which they break the huddle, line up, and motion gives defenses problems when aligning. Proper alignment for WOS will be huge. Coach Thompson will surely have that defense prepared. There's not much that dude hasn't seen or prepared for over the years. PG's QB is, without question, the best QB in that area next to the dude from Carthage. You don't realize it because of the offense they run, but the kid can spin it as good as anyone. They also have 3 kids that can carry the ball that are as good as any. Defensively, PG has a very talented front seven. Secondary can be suspect at times. They locked down Graham, but that was more of an athlete issue on Grahams part than great secondary play by PG. 

On the WOS side, They are going to RUN the ball right at that front seven and make PG like it. QB is a baller, but cannot spin it very well. Very good up front on the offensive line. Extremely physical and aggressive. That WOS defense is as good as you will see in any of these games this weekend. They are not as large as they have been the past couple seasons, but very fast. It will certainly be the best defense PG has seen all year. It will also be the most speed on defense PG has seen all year and that is saying something knowing some of the teams they have played. PG is not going to be able to get the edge on these cats. WOS is going to make them bang it in between the tackles, which is exactly what they want. 

Honestly, I don't see very many points being scored in this game. It may end up being a very short game due to all the running by both offenses. I feel that which ever defense wears down towards the end of the contest will determine the games outcome. Also, which ever team loses the turnover margin WILL lose the game. This really looks like it is going to be the best game out of all the twelve title games this weekend. Enjoy

Nice analysis! 

21 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think what you’re seeing is their misdirection plays.  In all the different videos I saw of them most of their big plays they busted were on misdirection.  It’s design gets the defense flowing one way.  Then when they break free your not going to catch it.  It’s a good design.  

Going back to earlier posts claiming Atlanta as a faster team than WOS.  That may be true on a track.  There’s track speed and there’s football speed.  Most folks would agree with that.  I’ve seen WOS live a couple times through the years, it’s really impressive the football team speed they have.  This year seems no different.  

No, I wasn't talking about misdirection.

9 hours ago, Stangx2 said:

Sorry, my friend. Just responding to someone saying WOS would be beaten because of being complacent. That is one thing our coaches do not allow. we would not be were we are if they did. I really didnt mean to rip you guys. Just saying how can you say that when you haven't been there. My apologies.

I guess I missed the “ripping”..

Carry on. 

35 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

The other thing everyone needs to look at is how WOS played Kennedale. Kennedale runs a very similar offense and has ALOT better kids than PG. Not taking anything away from PG, but if Kennedale can't score more than 21 on that defense.... PG won't either. Better play great defense and cause some turnovers. This game is not going to be about either offense. Big boy football...Defense is going to win this one

Site your source please...

8 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

Ummm watch them play football??? 

You've seen PG?

I have not seen Kennedale, but, I see that Kennedale has a couple of 2K rushers. Only about 1000 through the air.

PG has a trio of thousand yard plus rushers.
Most of our opposition has Had to pass, could not run, but passing was ineffective, as the stats show.

PG does well when they pass, they only do so to keep the defense honest, usually results in big plays, as the Yds per play shows.

Just now, Caloosa9955 said:

As opposed to what?

Recruiting, expert picks, other high school coaches, your great aunt...

I was just verifying that you were on here trying to talk up WOS by giving your opinion that Kennedale is better than PG, even though I'm sure you haven't been to a PG game.  But whatever makes you feel better.

49 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

I already mentioned this on another thread.  I saw how WOS played Kennedale.   Kennedale just about doubled your run production & did it with two running backs.  Kennedale also turned the ball over four times.  Hey though...... a win is a win right?  PG IS NOT KENNEDALE!  PG will run up to seven different guys at you.  They have like three RB's with over 1000 yards.  Turnovers will be the key in this game & I will take our chances with the D that PG puts on the field.  Not to mention the special teams.........PG has been good there all year long as well.

4 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Recruiting, expert picks, other high school coaches, your great aunt...

I was just verifying that you were on here trying to talk up WOS by giving your opinion that Kennedale is better than PG, even though I'm sure you haven't been to a PG game.  But whatever makes you feel better.

I'm not talking up anybody. I don't have a dog in the hunt and really don't care who wins. I've seen all three teams play live...PG, WOS, Kennedale. Just call it like I see it. I guarantee you I've seen PG play more times in the past two years than you have buddy. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is outrageous to say the least.  Been around sports my whole life, traveled the Great state of Texas watching many teams reach their milestone of being State Champions.  I have to say if I was a betting man I would put my money on WOS! #1 they have a winning tradition unlike PG until this year! #2 Coach Cornell Thompson IMO is the best Coach in the State. #3 speed in every position #4 their lateral pursuit on defense is unbelievable #5 WOS QB is dangerous for any defense #6 WOS special teams will kill you with BIG plays. I agree with most sportswriters that this will be a defensive game with the advantage going to WOS.. Sorry PG just telling it like it is!

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, DB2point0 said:

Go to YouTube and watch them vs Gilmer.  Lacked accuracy that game.  Completion % doesn’t always equal accuracy.  There were a few completions that would’ve been TD if not underthrown badly.  Then the interceptions.  They were poorly thrown.  In that offense the passing game isn’t the key it’s getting chunk yardage on first down.  WOS will be the fastest team they’ve played to date and will know the PG tendencies.  

I wouldn't put very much stock in what happened in that game.  You would have to understand the history between the two teams.  Pleasant Grove came into that game IN Gilmer, one of the toughest places to get a win in all of Texas, and beat them for the first time since 2001.  It was a HUGE win for their program.  How they got it done doesn't really matter.  They got it done.  Sometimes a game like that against a perennial powerhouse team can get another team rolling, especially considering the history.  Pleasant Grove didn't have their best game against them at all, and I think Gilmer probably played their best game of the year on the offensive side of the ball.

Just look at what the Hawks have done since.  That speaks volumes as to how they've built on that success.  They have a beast of a team.

By the same token, I will give WO-S their due.  The only thing that keeps me from saying that PG will win this game with certainty is the experience factor.  This is the Mustangs 4th straight trip to Jerry's World, and the nervous jitters of being there won't be nearly as much of a factor for them.  Coach T, and his staff, have also been together forever and know how to prepare their team, make in-game adjustments, and can get their kids settled down and focused.  That's a definite advantage in my book, but it isn't automatic.

I am impressed with what Coach Gibson has done thus far at PG.  He has put together a VERY good staff, and has gotten settled in with what works best with the athletes he has at his disposal.  This is the biggest, fastest, and most skilled set of athletes I have personally seen at PG since I've known about them.  They are also very physical, and have a championship swagger.  They have the attitude and confidence that they can beat anybody (I know this to be true with WO-S as well), and with all the other factors mentioned, along with having seen the Hawks play firsthand, I'm inclined to believe the Hawks will get it done.

This is most definitely the two best teams in 4A-D2 without a doubt.  For me, this is the most intriguing match up of championship week.  If PG plays to their full capability, I honestly think they can win this one without a doubt, and I do know what WO-S is capable of.  I'm no stranger to either team.

Good luck to the Hawks.  This Buckeye is pulling for y'all.  Make no bones about it.  You will have to TAKE IT!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Caloosa9955 said:

I'm not talking up anybody. I don't have a dog in the hunt and really don't care who wins. I've seen all three teams play live...PG, WOS, Kennedale. Just call it like I see it. I guarantee you I've seen PG play more times in the past two years than you have buddy. 

Aww, we're buddies!

If you've seen them twice, it's more than me.

So Pleasant Grove is bigger? They are stronger?  Better coached and preparation?  They are two dimensional on offense?  And have one of the best defenses in the State?

Sounds like a pretty challenging matchup for the Mighty Mustangs.   I still think they will rise to the occasion