Pleasant Grove vs WOS state final

orangethunder1

Pleasant Grove vs WOS  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• (15-0) Pleasant Grove Hawks
    • (13-0) West Orange-Stark Mustangs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 08:00 PM

4 minutes ago, PGDad said:

Dude, I knew you were an idiot when I first saw your stupid bucket hat avatar. Hopefully, that's not a picture of you because that guy looks like he plays with balls for a living. So, #### one for us and stay on your coaches jock, cause I'm sure you would be great at comforting a grown man.

Basically, I am leaving it up to you guys to play with yourselves for the next few days. I'm tired of all the morons. I'll be back Sunday or after the ban I'm sure to get.

What a shocker?!?!  Another great coach you don’t recognize.  I will be back Friday for my annual I told you so appearance.  I would wait until Sunday if I were you too.  Gives you two solid days to wipe away little Johnny’s tears after those mean Mustangs kick his little behind...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

So, in summary...

According to PG posters they will score 5X’s what WOS allows per game and give up one TD in garbage time for a blowout win and their first championship.

According to WOS posters, they will beat PG by a touchdown, but it’s the only touchdown that will be scored in the entire game because no team running this offense can possibly score on them.

That sound about right?

Im guessing we are somewhere in the middle of that.

Yeah its been getting out there..

Where is orangethunder? when he was trolling he said that PG would blow out Melissa and would blow out Graham. I was more than skeptic on those statements. These PG players are making him look like a genius. Let me guess he picked PG to blow out WOS also?

2 minutes ago, Hawknation03 said:

Yeah its been getting out there..

Where is orangethunder? when he was trolling he said that PG would blow out Melissa and would blow out Graham. I was more than skeptic on those statements. These PG players are making him look like a genius. Let me guess he picked PG to blow out WOS also?

he said PG by 3 TDs, unless that has changed. 

5 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

That’s why I’m a big believer in going early and maybe catching a game the day before. 

Best seats ... 2nd Deck (usta be called Am Airlines section ... guess it still is) .... ride escalator up ... bigger concession area ... good view ... padded theatre seating .... seats are wider ... 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, PGDad said:

Dude, I knew you were an idiot when I first saw your stupid bucket hat avatar. Hopefully, that's not a picture of you because that guy looks like he plays with balls for a living. So, #### one for us and stay on your coaches jock, cause I'm sure you would be great at comforting a grown man.

Basically, I am leaving it up to you guys to play with yourselves for the next few days. I'm tired of all the morons. I'll be back Sunday or after the ban I'm sure to get.

So I’m a 5th grader and a name caller.  

Got it!  

What’s with all the hashtag?  Are you having difficulty expressing your thoughts with words?  

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

So, in summary...

According to PG posters they will score 5X’s what WOS allows per game and give up one TD in garbage time for a blowout win and their first championship.

According to WOS posters, they will beat PG by a touchdown, but it’s the only touchdown that will be scored in the entire game because no team running this offense can possibly score on them.

That sound about right?

Nice!

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I’m sure.  But he is the key and has been for years and years imo.  Even Dan Ray would tell you that Coach T is as responsible as anyone for all the success he enjoyed there before retirement.   Will be interesting to see what happens when Cornel does retire.  I have a feeling it’s going to be a rude awakening for some Mustang fans. 

You ain't kidding, Hoops... I rue the day! Can you believe there's a "faction" after his job now. Straight stupidity.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, orangethunder1 said:

Pleasant Grove has played a tougher schedule than WOS.South Texas teams as a whole are not very good.The side of the bracket WOS comes out of every year there are so many bad teams.Wos Cuero Wimberley Liberty Hill are a few exceptions.

So please explain why teams from your way haven't won the past two years? I kinda think the competition you face outside of Gilmer isn't much either. I will give you props on one thing, there are a lot of bad teams out there.

2 hours ago, JBizzle said:

So, in summary...

That sound about right?

No doubt in my mind, all of Carthage must be happy they only have to beat Kennedale and not one of these world beaters lol.  Based on this thread, I don't think Allen would want any of this.

I am curious why, on the spread sheet posted, PG is a 7 point favorite over WOS, but Carthage is only a 3 point favorite over Kennedale.  Since WOS beat Kennedale by 3 points, those experts must consider Carthage & WOS even, and PG 7 points better than Carthage.  Sorry to bust everyone's bubble but I think Carthage puts a whuppin' on both these teams this year.  Not even close.

Hats off to Hawk and Mustang posters who acknowledge that both teams are good and it'll be a great game.  

• LOL! 2

8 hours ago, Hawknation03 said:

That's your opinion. Guess you think PG has not earned the right to be here. They beat and I mean "Beat" the teams they faced. They are the best team to compete against WOS. None of this #### translates into a win for either team. Why not talk about PG VS WOS instead. The stat and record talk is old. There are some great match ups in this game. Both teams stop the run well, both teams seem to have trouble at time defending the pass. For me it comes down to who has the better passing attack. PG is favored in the passing game. Not knocking WOS but from what I have seen they are not vey good at passing the football. This should be a dog fight! Possibly the most competitive game in all of the finals!

We ARE good at the pass, we just don't do it much. I'm not sure why either. I think our staff is more worried about taking the reigns off of Chaka. The defense has been so good, I think they know teams will struggle scoring and the plan is to NOT give them any gimmies.

I think you'll see early on. But, if we build a lead and PG is struggling moving the ball (I know ya'll think thats not possible, but...) then you will see a heavy dose of run.

7 hours ago, chukslegacy said:

I cant hardly wait for Friday to get here so I can look back at all these post from PG dad and Hawk888 or whatever and remind them of how insane their post are.  I mean you would think that PG got their offense straight from God! for crying out loud it a wing T special wing T blah blah blah. PG is making it easy for the Chain Gang Defense!

Reminds me of Navarro last year in the semifinal. 14-0, averaging 50 something a game... Good defense... Fans just could not believe they could be shut down... They were "different" than any other Wing T team... They could throw the ball at will... Fans predicting ridiculous scores... 41-7 at halftime... lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Dude, you showed your knowledge (or actually lack there of) when you proudly (albeit cluelessly) proclaimed PG’s biggest advantage was coaching.  After that, I knew you were bringing checkers to a chess match.  Instead of posting nonsense on a message board, you should be using this time to figure out what words of comfort to use on the kid after his little heart is broken on Friday 😂

BOOM

Hawks already winners

By

Bill Owney

December 20, 2017

Four falls and half a summer ago, I had an epiphany.

After interviews with Josh Gibson, the new coach of a team that won five games in two the two years prior, plus watching practices and talking with players, I sat down and wrote the season preview for the 2014 Pleasant Grove Hawks.

Extra time and effort went into this because something had piqued my interest. Arriving home late, I explained to Beautiful Blonde Bride that I was dealing with something of consequence.

“It will take a few years,” I told her, “but Josh Gibson is going to win a state championship at Pleasant Grove.”

That I saw this coming does not mean I am smart; it just means I was paying attention. Prescience of this sort comes to us after we assume responsibility for managing processes and people. Enough years of burying oneself in the minutiae of things, and one begins to recognize patterns that lead to predictable results.

Over the years, I’ve tried to analyze and explain a wide array of topics, including a lot of football. Mix in nearly two decades in the classroom and my theories about what makes for highly functional teams and effective teacher-leaders had begun to synthesize

To be sure, the young coach’s energy, passion, and ambition were refreshing and delightful, but it was how he went about his business that virtually checked off all my boxes. If something – a business, a classroom, a sports team – is successful, it is because someone purposefully and consistently sets and enforces standards, and nurtures calculated risk-taking. In turn, a culture of mutual respect and accountability emerges.

So it is with Josh Gibson and the Pleasant Grove Hawks, and it is not just on the football field. Not only have the players bought in; so, too, have the coaches, who are given the respect and freedom to reach for the top. In almost every sport, a winning culture allows youngsters to grow, to achieve and, as a result, to win.

A question teachers hear in a job interview is, “What is your theory of education?” In the summer of 2014, I paraphrased that question and was immediately given a list of four core values that guide coach Gibson.

Relationships: At some point during his or her first semester on the job, a teacher hears, “They won’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” That’s where Gibson and his staff start work.

“We’re going to develop relationships with these kids where we love them and they look at us as father figures,” he said.

This is a time-intensive endeavor. I hear Gibson and his staff talk to their players about girlfriends, study habits, core moral beliefs, and the coaches listen to the kids. I studiously avoid eavesdropping private communications, but I see many a conversation between an animated youngster and a coach nodding his head and making eye contact.

Discipline: This isn’t about putting a bunch of rules on the wall, though Hawk athletics has some clear, non-negotiable ones. Rather, this is about creating a highly structured environment, which kids – even adolescents – crave. Every practice is planned. Every contingency has guidelines. “I think we turn over every stone,” Gibson said.

3. Belief: Not hope, belief. “Belief comes when the kids put in a ton of work. We teach them that the more work they put in, the better the return on their investment.”

Off-season conditioning, participating in non-curricular activities, such as 7-on-7 football in the summer, playing pick-up basketball and volleyball games all summer, playing select ball – all are de rigueur at Pleasant Grove if you want to get into the game.

Champions are not born; they reach their goals one step at a time. “We focus on the growth of the individual,” Gibson said. “That’s why we’re here in education, is to help kids grow. Every time they take a step forward, we celebrate that growth and encourage them to take the next. That’s why we keep getting better and better each week of the playoffs.”

These values reverberate throughout this special football team. Go read our stories on the various components, the linemen, the linebackers, the secondary, and the skill players, and you will hear the echoes of every one of these values.

“No one outworks us,” is an oft-repeated quote. “Our trust in each other helps us get through adversity,” is another. Frankly, I have never seen such an unselfish group of youngsters.

A season such as the one the 2017 Hawks are having is a gift to be treasured. In truth, no one can guarantee what will happen at Cowboy Stadium Friday afternoon, but I can assure you that when that bus crosses back into the city limits it will be filled with young men – future educators, doctors, lawyers, professionals of all stripes – who will be better husbands, fathers and citizens because of what they have learned the past four years.

In that sense, we all win.

Bill Owney

A veteran journalist and educator, Bill Owney is a 1980 graduate of the University of Florida. Writing awards include APME honors for investigative reporting, the Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Award for public service reporting and numerous awards for editorial, column and news writing. He served as publisher of the Atlanta Citizens Journal and Pittsburg Gazette when each paper won sweepstakes awards from the Texas Press and North and East Texas Press Associations. He spent 15 years as a public school teacher and is an adjunct professor of English at Texarkana College.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1