Newton vs Gunter 3A DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

NewtonNation

Who takes the title?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 12:30 AM

29 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

Funny Gunter #4 Clopton was first team all state last year and he is a better player this year but only managed honorable mention.  Who nominates?

He's at a different position this year. His numbers were being compared to linebackers instead of defensive backs. And he had 8 INTs in regular season last year, which is going to look good on the DB ballot.

39 minutes ago, NewtonNation said:

I figured you would know this right off the bat Pax.

Haha, yeah I would have had I seen it. I didn't know he was at Newton though.  If I didn't know, this is a cool archive of Texas high school football that would have told me.  It's a fun browse.

EDIT : just browsing quickly I see Newton is #39 for all-time winninging percentage in all classifications.  Impressive.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records.html

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pax said:

Haha, yeah I would have had I seen it. I didn't know he was at Newton though.  If I didn't know, this is a cool archive of Texas high school football that would have told me.  It's a fun browse.

EDIT : just browsing quickly I see Newton is #39 for all-time winninging percentage in all classifications.  Impressive.

https://www.texashighschoolfootballhistory.com/won-loss_records.html

It is a great website. That's where I saw Mike Terry's name. I knew he was from the Celina area but didn't know he coached for y'all. 

4 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

He's at a different position this year. His numbers were being compared to linebackers instead of defensive backs. And he had 8 INTs in regular season last year, which is going to look good on the DB ballot.

Yeah he really is a linebacker this year vs corner I guess, so I can see that.  But he moves around.  Great player.

4 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Gunter took the yellow bus last year.  But it is only 65 miles or so.

It really doesn’t matter how each of these teams arrive at the destination.  They could ride in covered wagons or station wagons, just get there safely!  This is the most anticipated and hyped game of the championship and for good reason.  Two complete beast going at it for 4 quarters of smash mouth in your face football!! ✔️💯 

23 minutes ago, NDPATE said:

It really doesn’t matter how each of these teams arrive at the destination.  They could ride in covered wagons or station wagons, just get there safely!  This is the most anticipated and hyped game of the championship and for good reason.  Two complete beast going at it for 4 quarters of smash mouth in your face football!! ✔️💯 

Good call.  I agree 100% - 4 Qtrs of smash mouth football.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 9:06 AM, NewtonNation said:

It's going to be a fun week and an amazing game. Good luck to both teams and congratulations for making it to the finals!!

Go Eagles! 

Newton offensive stats: 

Passing: 110 of 172 for 1876 yards 30 tds 6 ints

Rushing: 486 carries for 4398 yards 65 tds

Gunter offensive stats:

Passing: 46 of 76 for 838 yards 13 tds 2 ints

Rushing: 572 carries for 4696 yards 86 tds

Along with the offense here is Newton's defensive stats: 

9.1 average points allowed

41 sacks - 17 interceptions - 25 fumble recoveries

Does anyone have Gunter's defensive stats? 

55 minutes ago, NewtonNation said:

Along with the offense here is Newton's defensive stats: 

9.1 average points allowed

41 sacks - 17 interceptions - 25 fumble recoveries

Does anyone have Gunter's defensive stats? 

Not me.  I can't find any reliable source for defensive stats.  Gunter doesn't enter their defensive/tackling/sack stats anywhere I can find.  I'm pretty sure they have somewhere around 13 interceptions (from memory of doing this exercise before) - though they haven't faced many passing teams.  I don't know about fumbles and sacks.  41 sacks is a lot, that's impressive.  If I had to guess, I'd say Gunter is under that in the sack column, but again - they haven't faced many passing teams.  I'm sure they have loads of tackles for losses that amount to the same thing, but I assume Newton's tackles for losses are pretty similar.  If Newton has more than 2 sacks in this game, it won't be good news for Gunter since that would mean they'd be dropping back to pass far more than normal and playing from behind.  

Where are you getting these Newton stats anyway?  I've looked and looked and they just don't post them anywhere.     

31 minutes ago, Pax said:

Not me.  I can't find any reliable source for defensive stats.  Gunter doesn't enter their defensive/tackling/sack stats anywhere I can find.  I'm pretty sure they have somewhere around 13 interceptions (from memory of doing this exercise before) - though they haven't faced many passing teams.  I don't know about fumbles and sacks.  41 sacks is a lot, that's impressive.  If I had to guess, I'd say Gunter is under that in the sack column, but again - they haven't faced many passing teams.  I'm sure they have loads of tackles for losses that amount to the same thing, but I assume Newton's tackles for losses are pretty similar.  If Newton has more than 2 sacks in this game, it won't be good news for Gunter since that would mean they'd be dropping back to pass far more than normal and playing from behind.  

Where are you getting these Newton stats anyway?  I've looked and looked and they just don't post them anywhere.     

maxpreps has alot of the Newton defensive stats 

13 hours ago, EaglesFootball said:

Wrong that rode on a charter bus, get your info right before you go bashing the Newton Administration.

Maybe my information was they didn't get a hotel the night before the game, which is almost as unexplainable as not getting a charter bus...but then again I'm pretty sure Newton is where they filmed the movie Deliverance.