Newton vs Gunter 3A DII STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

NewtonNation

Who takes the title?   

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2017 at 12:30 AM

20 minutes ago, NewtonNation said:

Don't hold it against them armchair, some of them players have never experienced a loss on varsity. They weren't sure how to act. They will learn from this loss and probably be better men because of it. 

I know it was just kids that were frustrated.

What did you think about the block in the back on #18 after the pick in the 4th? To me it could have gone either way. Definitely not blatant. I think his feelings got hurt more than anything.

• Like 1

I did not mind the block in the backs and some of the chippy play, thats was just frustrated and playing hard.  It was the, kicks, punches and other acts after the plays that was dissappointing to watch.  Especially after they made such a big deal over thier discipline and how its not allowed by thier coach.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2017 at 9:31 PM, Tiger1995 said:

Rankings shoulda been flipped. 

Newton

west Rusk

Boling

Gunter

On 12/21/2017 at 9:33 PM, Nick2011 said:

The way I see it after this game, West Rusk was the #2 team in the State this year! We played Newton a better game than Gunter for sure! Just didn’t have enough on the offensive side to get it done! 

So if we use y’all’s logic Tatum should be the second place team in 4a d2?

6 hours ago, armchair said:

I know it was just kids that were frustrated.

What did you think about the block in the back on #18 after the pick in the 4th? To me it could have gone either way. Definitely not blatant. I think his feelings got hurt more than anything.

I watched the game on TV. I don’t think the block was bad, just an unfortunate landing. The QB was injured in their last district game against Leonard. I heard his collar bone was “shattered.” He didn’t miss a playoff game. That’s a tough kid, I’m just not so sure why a parent or a coach put wins before healing. I understand there were lots of GT kids playing injured. Some injuries can be “played through” but breaks, rips, and tears need to heal properly. 

58 minutes ago, SavageMode said:

I watched the game on TV. I don’t think the block was bad, just an unfortunate landing. The QB was injured in their last district game against Leonard. I heard his collar bone was “shattered.” He didn’t miss a playoff game. That’s a tough kid, I’m just not so sure why a parent or a coach put wins before healing. I understand there were lots of GT kids playing injured. Some injuries can be “played through” but breaks, rips, and tears need to heal properly. 

There is no excuses for them getting beat they ain't been slowed down any this year there pride was hurt because they was exposed it shows how much different football is in east and south east Texas is from the north 

• Thanks 2

On 12/22/2017 at 3:04 PM, coachlangley said:

You show your idiocy, choking at EF would have been getting beat badly or giving it away at the end, wasnt anything more than the bad luck of our kicker getting hurt, and 21 to zip without starting rb and holding yall to less than 100yds total O for over 3 qtrs is a buttkicking.... since your O was so high powered, we went conservative and just played keep away is the reason for 21 to ZERO...

Really “CoachLambo” ..................... is that  “REALLY” what happened ...... pretty sad your starters only put up 21 against Waskom being that West Rusk is second best team in 3A-2 tenor.gif?itemid=3574833Because they “ALMOST” beat Newton

On December 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM, EaglesFootball said:

What is this discipline problem everyone talks about? They had what six penalties for false start in which finally the umpire called a penalty on them because they kept saying go and our kids where jumping. The offensive PI called on Newton in EZ was straight BS not even close to PI. They had just as many penalties as Newton did. Should of had more went back and watched game replay this morning they were dirty players kicking our kids getting off the pile etc. 

Discipline... They should be watching the ball. After about the 5th time you could read coach's lips "watch the ball ". 

Anyway. Both teams have great players returning. I wish them luck on returning to the big house. 

Congrsts to both teams again

1 hour ago, Eagles97 said:

This is one Gunter player I’m proud of and I’m sure there all this way.  This young man waited around to speak to our coach and congratulate him and tell him he’d be praying for him. THIS is what high school football is about. 

1977CC11-16ED-4915-A730-DA89427E6F76.png

Someone's doing there job right awsome 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagles97 said:

This is one Gunter player I’m proud of and I’m sure there all this way.  This young man waited around to speak to our coach and congratulate him and tell him he’d be praying for him. THIS is what high school football is about. 

1977CC11-16ED-4915-A730-DA89427E6F76.png

Very impressive act from that young man. 

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Pax said:

Umm, we are allowed to sleep, right?!

I congratulated Newton last night after it was 40-16.  I said they werre the better team.  I'm not sure what more you expect.  

I think Gunter did a great job against an outrageously good team.  I think the same about Newton.  There are going to be those that want flaunt that final score - and that's fine.  The Gunter people have to take it, but they don't have to agree it was a blowout of any sort.  I've seen a lot of football games, and that was a great football game.  Newton was clearly the better team, but it was closer than that score.  Gunter needed to make Newton drive the ball, and they did that through basically 3 quarters.  The score that put Newton up 27-16 was a gut punch that changed the game.  Gunter was forced to take chances they wouldn't normally take because time was running out - and they were indeed put in that position because Newton was just better, but they were forced to go for 4th downs on their own end, giving Newton really short fields, and that took the "making Newton drive the field" strategy off the table.  It was no longer about keeping Newton out of the end zone, but about scoring themselves - and Newton just stuffed everything.  It was an outstanding defensive performance - against a great offense.  I have zero trouble believing that I just saw a game between the best two teams in the state.  Gunter was just outmatched.  Congratulations to both teams.

I beg to differ with you on that statement.  Newton left a lot of points out there Thursday night.  They barely overthrew two wide open receivers that would have scored TDs early in the game and had another TD called back Newton could have very easily scored 3 or 4 more TDs in the game, not so with Gunter.  This could have easily been a 60-16 type game ... this is the stuff that doesn't show up in your statistical "formula" ....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, 5thdown said:

What was the figs weaknesses?

Sorry the post didn't come off right.  If Newton had a weakness I didn't see it.  Very special football team and one to be proud of.  I think Gunter team was great, which says a lot for Newton.  My prayers for coach, hope he has many more of these.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Sorry the post didn't come off right.  If Newton had a weakness I didn't see it.  Very special football team and one to be proud of.  I think Gunter team was great, which says a lot for Newton.  My prayers for coach, hope he has many more of these.

Gunter had a great team  and it was a great game . Gunter's boys have nothing but respect from Newton fans. We do appreciate your prayers for our coach. WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES and they are coming. There is more to life than football ,sometimes we don't realize it until  problems arise. Anyway Great game and happy New Year ! JMHO

In my opinion, Gunter was the better team per-say, Newton had the better athletes. I've said it 20 times, and I'll say it again. If you had lined these teams up next to each other, and didn't know anything about them, you'd easily say Newton would win without it ever being close. That wasn't so. Newton was faster, bigger, stronger, anything you can imagine, they were it. With all that being said, Newton didn't take the final lead until the last play of the 3rd quarter. They missed wide open receivers, had a TD called back.. they looked rough at times. Call it what you want, but Gunter played a heck of a ball game, and did great to keep it close, because they were incredibly outmatched athletically. 

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

In my opinion, Gunter was the better team per-say, Newton had the better athletes. I've said it 20 times, and I'll say it again. If you had lined these teams up next to each other, and didn't know anything about them, you'd easily say Newton would win without it ever being close. That wasn't so. Newton was faster, bigger, stronger, anything you can imagine, they were it. With all that being said, Newton didn't take the final lead until the last play of the 3rd quarter. They missed wide open receivers, had a TD called back.. they looked rough at times. Call it what you want, but Gunter played a heck of a ball game, and did great to keep it close, because they were incredibly outmatched athletically. 

What you saw is what you will get in 2018.. Most all returning. You guys have a year to think about it .. as for Gunter being a better team I disagree.  The better team walked away with the SC..