2018 Cowboys Offseason

Stoney

Since we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs I guess it’s time to start this thread. What would y’all like to see Jerry, Stephen and McClay do to improve this team next year? Clean house on the coaching staff? Keep Garrett? Get a new OC? New DC? Cut Dez? Add more playmakers on offense? Defense? Get Earl Thomas?

3 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Since we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs I guess it’s time to start this thread. What would y’all like to see Jerry, Stephen and McClay do to improve this team next year? Clean house on the coaching staff? Keep Garrett? Get a new OC? New DC? Cut Dez? Add more playmakers on offense? Defense? Get Earl Thomas?

All the above other then DC. Defense seems to really be picking it up, especially in the secondary where we've struggled at for so many years. But other then that............ Burn it!!  

22 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Try and work out a trade for Dez? Get something for him. If not, cut him. What about a trade with Seattle...Dez for Earl Thomas?? 

Need O-line depth. I still feel Collins is a better guard than tackle. Move him to guard, and draft a tackle in the first or second round. Get better backup linemen than they have in the draft or free agency. 

I'm actually surprisingly pleased with the Defense. Get quality backups and fill-in peices for the Dline and linebackers. Do their homework to accomplish this via the draft & free agency.

I'm willing to stick with Red and the OC & DC, and overall coaching staff...for now. But, my patience is running thin. They should all be on the hot seat if overall team production doesn't improve next year. 

I want Garrett and Dez gone.  We still need receivers.  I'm not sure how Rico Gathers is doing since he was put on IR at the start of the season.  He showed some great signs that he could replace Witten in the preseason.  If Randy Gregory can't stay clean, and complete a full season cut him.  I'd like to see us add more to the defensive side of the ball.  I think Dak just had a sophomore slump, but if he repeats this year next year it's time to look for another quarterback.   

^ I saw a pretty interesting theory on Twitter that I’m not afraid to say I’ll steal and post on here....is it time for Jason Witten to retire? The theory is that Jason Witten is basically holding back the offense by his lack of ability to stretch the field. If your TE and slot reciever are basically running the same shallow routes that’s allowing your opponents coverage to creep up and pay more attention to Dez. If you know Bease and Wit aren’t going deep you can roll that safety over the top onto Dez. 

Defensively, I think we finally got the pass rush we needed. If we’re Franchise tagging anybody it’s gotta be Tank Lawrence. We can still tender David Irving for another year. Taco Charlton is still a square peg trying to fit a round hole to me but he came on the last couple weeks. Tyrone Crawford is still a better 3 Tech than a end, especially for what he’s getting paid. 

Stephen and McClay look they have done in one draft what it took them three drafts to do to the offensive line: remake it into a future long term strength. Chido looks like a playmaking corner. Jourdan Lewis has the swagger to replace and talent to replace Scandrick at slot or bounce to the outside. Anthony Brown took a step back but is still a solid 3rd corner. Jeff Heath is the 🐐. Xavier Woods and Byron Jones could be starters at CB if they ever moved from their safety positions.

As long as Garrett is the Coach, I don' think much is going to change. 2 playoff appearances in 7 years with 1 playoff win. How long do you give him? As far as Players,  need to add a top notch WR to pair with Dez. On D need Safety & dline help and hopefully that will be the focus of the Draft. 

On 12/27/2017 at 7:37 PM, stoneykelly said:

Personally I feel they should send Dez to the receivers Clinic over in Desoto Parrish. Would like to see Tony Romo given a shot to run the '0' at training camp this off season too.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:01 PM, stoneykelly said:

^ I saw a pretty interesting theory on Twitter that I’m not afraid to say I’ll steal and post on here....is it time for Jason Witten to retire? The theory is that Jason Witten is basically holding back the offense by his lack of ability to stretch the field. If your TE and slot reciever are basically running the same shallow routes that’s allowing your opponents coverage to creep up and pay more attention to Dez. If you know Bease and Wit aren’t going deep you can roll that safety over the top onto Dez. 

Defensively, I think we finally got the pass rush we needed. If we’re Franchise tagging anybody it’s gotta be Tank Lawrence. We can still tender David Irving for another year. Taco Charlton is still a square peg trying to fit a round hole to me but he came on the last couple weeks. Tyrone Crawford is still a better 3 Tech than a end, especially for what he’s getting paid. 

Stephen and McClay look they have done in one draft what it took them three drafts to do to the offensive line: remake it into a future long term strength. Chido looks like a playmaking corner. Jourdan Lewis has the swagger to replace and talent to replace Scandrick at slot or bounce to the outside. Anthony Brown took a step back but is still a solid 3rd corner. Jeff Heath is the 🐐. Xavier Woods and Byron Jones could be starters at CB if they ever moved from their safety positions.

Witten is signed until 2021, but he has no dead cap.  He drops to $6.5 million through it's duration.  He still does an adequate job, but I'm looking forward to see if Rico can fill his shoes.  I'd like to see us take a receiver in the 1st round, maybe a quarterback or Offensive lineman in the second, and add defensive help that might pan out the rest of the rounds.  I like to see competition so that it keeps everyone on their toes.  

Unrestricted

QB Kellen Moore.......He gone. Cooper Rush keeps the backup job or a surprise veteran signing does.
RB Alfred Morris....He gone. Rod Smith has shown that he can be the guy. Dallas will add another RB in the draft late or UDFA.
WR Brice Butler....Dallas needs to add a WR opposite Dez. Numbers say Butler is the odd man out.
OT Byron Bell...He gone. Dallas needs a upgrade at the swing tackle.
Jonathan Cooper...Former 1st rounder with injury plagued career resurrected it in Dallas. Solid at LG. Is he the cheap answer there? Do you move Collins back? Do you upgrade in draft?
G/C Joe Looney- Solid inside swing G/C with some plays as a jumbo TE in heavy packages. Dallas keeps him unless younger, cheaper available in FA.
DE DeMarcus Lawrence....Franchise tag a young pass rusher who looks like he’s finally got it all together. Unless you want to try and lock him up long term.
DL Stephen Paea....Retired during season. Dallas has to add another inside presence at DT.
LB Justin Durant.....He gone. Dallas brought him back due to injuries at the start of the season. Dallas will add LB in the draft, maybe as early as 1st round.
LB Anthony Hitchens....Probably the biggest question facing Dallas’ in house free agents. Has proved to be a valuable starter. Is the market going to drive his price up out of Dallas’ range?
LB Kyle Wilber...He gone. Dallas can replace him cheap in the draft/UDFA.
CB Bene Benwikere...He gone. The young guys are miles ahead of him.
LS L.P.  Ladoeceur...Has never had a bad snap in 10+ years of snapping. He’ll be back as long as he wants to be.

Restricted

FB Keith Smith....Has been the FB/Special teams guy. Should be back.
DL David Irving....This guy ain’t going anywhere. Will probably get tendered and get paid next year. Injuries hurt his production this year but when healthy flashed the talent to be a force with Tank and Maleik.

• Like 2

The two areas that I would like to see them fix first and foremost are the two that I think sunk this season.  They need to shore up the tackle position for when Tyron Smith goes out and they need to shore up the linebacker position for when Sean Lee goes out.

I love how Dez is a "disrupting force" now when you guys tried to chew me a new one for questioning some of his off-field mannerisms with "his boys" a few years ago... 

And Red should have been fired years ago when I said it.  The guy has had 1 good season in 7 years.  Sure, I know most people would take a 9-7 here and there, but last year was exceptional... this year it looked like he was back in form...

Listen, I don't think that he is a horrible coach, but I think he is and has held back the team for a while... And I would even question how good Dak Prescott is at QB... I think he was asked to make too many decisions that he isn't equipped for this season... which all falls back on Red.

6 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I love how Dez is a "disrupting force" now when you guys tried to chew me a new one for questioning some of his off-field mannerisms with "his boys" a few years ago... 

And Red should have been fired years ago when I said it.  The guy has had 1 good season in 7 years.  Sure, I know most people would take a 9-7 here and there, but last year was exceptional... this year it looked like he was back in form...

Listen, I don't think that he is a horrible coach, but I think he is and has held back the team for a while... And I would even question how good Dak Prescott is at QB... I think he was asked to make too many decisions that he isn't equipped for this season... which all falls back on Red.

I started talking about Dez last year.  I'll give him his injury season as a letdown, but not the next two years.  He's simply not worth top $ anymore.  

My two main concerns this offseason would be adding to the defense and rolling over more into a Cover 3 and to get a viable balanced approach back on offense, which worked wonderfully in 2016 with the same players. 

To the first end, I get DLaw re-signed. Irving gets a 1st round tender; even if someone went for that, I'd match the offer. If I can bring Hitchens back cheaply, I do. If I can't, I have 10 draft picks. 

To the 2nd end my first priority is fixing Dak's game, because it's either push all my chips in with Dak or start over looking for a quarterback. I keep him away from Tom House. I'd like to find a quarterbacks coach that has a good history developing one-read "Air Raid" quarterbacks. I would like to return more "Kill" calls to the offense and fewer RPO plays. 

Empower Dooley or anyone that can work with Erhardt-Perkins concepts into finding more mismatches, rather than solely functioning from a balance with constraint plays. This isn't Peyton Manning's offense and I don't want it to be. Beasley was criminally underused. Switzer and Butler were criminally underused. Our tight end compliment was healthier but the output was worse. 

I also want to work more running backs into the passing concepts, and for that we need a scatback (or simply use Zeke in the role more.) More screens to ease things for the Oline. 

On defense, keep things going in the right direction. Promote Greg Jackson, especially if Eberflus leaves. I change up the scouting department; I fire Ben Bloom or others that have been bad at our self-scouting. 

In free agency I look for a really good DT, and possibly a pass coverage LB. I'll keep an eye out for a safety, because I'm not picking up Byron Jones' 5th year option, and I need to see if he's a corner. On offense I get Gathers on the field, and get vets at OLine if I can, and a scatback or two. Between Gathers/Swaim/Jarwin I should have the tight ends to punish over-eager linebackers.

I try to get in the swing with golfing again. Drink more expensive whiskies and wines. I let my new, high-powered Cowboys attorneys handle my divorce. I buy a ranch.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I started talking about Dez last year.  I'll give him his injury season as a letdown, but not the next two years.  He's simply not worth top $ anymore.  

I mentioned it his rookie year and got blasted for it

Leave.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:30 PM, THSfanatic said:

They have to get a reliable speed receiver. But truthfully it won't matter because Garrett couldn't coach him if he had him. Nothing is going to change.

Garret is a good coach. You would have been hating on Tom Landry back in the day too.

Need to re-sign D-Law, Irving and Hitchenson. 

Hopefully Dez will grow up, he came here with a jr.high mentality and is currently has a freshman in college mentality. i hope he redo his deal. He is on the team with his contract and cutting him would be dumb on many levels.  

Hopefully Cole Beasley can learn how to get open while being a double teamed. 

I love Jason Whitten, and he can still play, but he can take a few snaps off to get a faster kid out on the field.

Hopefully Elliot is not targeted by little Hitler again. 

Hopefully the Atlanta game did not mentally hurt Dak. 

20 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I mentioned it his rookie year and got blasted for it

Rookie wide receivers make a big impact.  Go back and look at many HOF receivers first years, and they rarely have 1000 yards receiving.  Dez looked great until his big contract and injury with three thousand yard seasons from 2012-2014.  Now he looks like an average #2 receiver putting up Antonio Bryant when he was with Cleveland stats.  He was a 2nd round pick.