Sooners 2018 Thread

Mr. P

10 hours ago, BlackwellSooner said:

Rumored to be Abdul Adams.  I hope that the rumor is false - - with a little more attention to improving ball security, he could contribute big time:  Anderson, Sermon and Adams and Pledger will be trying to crash the party.

We should be pretty well fixed at running back next year.

Kennedy Brooks RS last season, but remember that name. His HS numbers were not a fluke. (885 carries, 7646 yards and 96 TDs)

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, BlackwellSooner said:

I am always all for any of our guys who can make a living in the League, but I think that Lampkin is making a mistake that will cost him money.  But am also hearing rumors that he wasn't the brightest bulb in the classroom, actually struggling to stay academically eligible, so that may be a large factor in his decision, too.

As if you didn’t see this coming?

On 1/9/2018 at 8:31 AM, Matthias said:

Don't want to hijack the Aggie thread with Sooner talk so I'm responding here...  

Am I the only one who's totally stoked about Schmitty leaving? This is soooo long overdue. 

I was curious about this.  Are most Sooners glad he’s leaving?  Was riley letting him go anyway?

Okay, technically this is NFL news, but I'd rather post it here than the pro football forum: Broncos asked to have Baker Mayfield on their Senior Bowl team

The Broncos coaching staff will be working the Senior Bowl this year and there’s one prospect they are particularly interested in working with during their time in Mobile, Alabama.

Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage told Andy Staples and Jason Horowitz of ESPNU SiriusXM Radio that the Broncos requested that Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield be placed on their team for the event.

7 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I like Wylie, sadly he wasn't allowed to completely take the reigns when he was at Texas. Mack left Jeff Madden in charge and wouldn't let Wylie really do his job

Funny you mention that: https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/should-oklahoma-consider-hiring-bennie-wylie (from January 2014)

I actually talked to a number of people yesterday, including a former Texas coach and some other well respected football folks in the state of Texas, about what they thought of the hypothetical idea. It seemed like I could barely get the question out without people saying “that would be a HUGE hire for OU!” or “he’s a good one!”

Why Oklahoma Should Part Ways with Mike Stoops 

College Football can be a bizarre sport, at times. One of the most interesting points around preparing for this article is how many of these games that Oklahoma actually won. More times than not, the Sooners were able to overcome the challenge that the defense put them in. But, Baker Mayfield is heading to the NFL. He will not be around to save the Sooners next time. This begs the question, “Is Baker Mayfield‘s career a waste because he couldn’t overcome Clemson’s 37 points or Georgia’s 54 points?”

Lincoln Riley is in an unenviable position. In June of last season, Bob Stoops handed him the keys to the Ferrari. Could he dare part ways with the brother of one of the most beloved Sooner coaches of all time? Riley is trying to make his own mark on the Sooner program. He did that when he was hired by bringing in a friend and mentor in Ruffin McNeill. Also, he has invigorated the recruiting for the Sooners the last two years. Oklahoma was so close to winning a National Championship this year. An average defensive performance would provide conventional wisdom that Oklahoma could very well be celebrating National Championship number eight. Now, with great power comes great responsibility. Do you settle for mediocrity or do you become bold and make a program-defining move? The time for a change is now.

• Thanks 1

Figured we'd lose him, but not sure why he chose Syracuse.

I loved the way he ran, and wish there was a way to keep him around, but understand he's gotta make business decisions. Wish him the best.

8 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I loved the way he ran, and wish there was a way to keep him around, but understand he's gotta make business decisions. Wish him the best.

Maybe he was trying to get to a school in the ACC?

I’m surprised that he didn’t end up someplace closer to North Carolina.

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Maybe he was trying to get to a school in the ACC?

I’m surprised that he didn’t end up someplace closer to North Carolina.

Same, but I reckon the Orangemen recruiter made a helluva pitch. 

14 hours ago, Matthias said:

I think it's a great choice. Dino Barber has a good thing going there and he can really make a splash against some quality competition. If he was looking for opportunity, he will have it in Syracuse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sawemoff said:

I think it's a great choice. Dino Barber has a good thing going there and he can really make a splash against some quality competition. If he was looking for opportunity, he will have it in Syracuse.

Ok, cool...  gotta admit, I don't know squat about them. :) 

2 hours ago, sawemoff said:

I don't know man... last 3 seasons they have been 4-8, 4-8, 4-8...

25 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I don't know man... last 3 seasons they have been 4-8, 4-8, 4-8...

I guess he'd rather be the bell cow for a building program than a benchwarmer for a potential playoff contender. 

Just hate to see these kids transfer for playing time. There's so much that can happen. You may be buried on the depth chart now, but you're only one blown knee (or a trumped up rape charge) away from being back in the mix. Besides, what ever happened to working hard and beating people out of a job? Better to just transfer? Smh. 

Not always easy for a 20-year-old to see the big picture.

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

I guess he'd rather be the bell cow for a building program than a benchwarmer for a potential playoff contender. 

Just hate to see these kids transfer for playing time. There's so much that can happen. You may be buried on the depth chart now, but you're only one blown knee (or a trumped up rape charge) away from being back in the mix. Besides, what ever happened to working hard and beating people out of a job? Better to just transfer? Smh. 

Not always easy for a 20-year-old to see the big picture.

I hate to be one of "those guys" but its today's society.  Mom and Dads always think their kid is the best, but they see so many people transfer for playing time and "win the job", but they ignore the countless guys that transfer and fail (see the Notre Dame QB transfer to Florida this year)...  They are told by their home town boys that they should be playing, the community that they should be playing... They are so used to being the best, that they forgot how they became the best to begin with...

On 1/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, Matthias said:

Ok, cool...  gotta admit, I don't know squat about them. :) 

Dino was one of the minds behind Briles offenses. The talent is hurting at Cuse, but the scheme is there. If Dino isn't hired by someone else first, he will definitely find a way to build that offense around AA

13 minutes ago, sawemoff said:

Dino was one of the minds behind Briles offenses. The talent is hurting at Cuse, but the scheme is there. If Dino isn't hired by someone else first, he will definitely find a way to build that offense around AA

He needs to find a way to keep some of the random talent in NY in state... right now all of those guys are going to Michigan and Ohio St and Penn St.

1 hour ago, thegreatbambino said:

Some aggies on other boards will need to retract their comments about him not being sec good. Lol

I've always noticed that if a recruit isn't interested in the program a fan supports it's because 1.) he isn't that good, 2.) probably wouldn't qualify academically, 3.) we've already got better recruits at that same position. 

But once he shows interest 1.) he's underrated, 2.) a hard-working overachiever, 3.) gives us solid depth. 

Funny how that happens.  ;) 

• Like 2

• Mr. P locked this topic