Sooners 2018 Thread

Mr. P

I was impressed with the way OU fought back after getting punched in the mouth in that first quarter. I saw several SEC teams wave the white flag when that happened to them. I can see Riley and company being right in the thick of the national championship picture for a while, provided they can build something that resembles a defense. The only thing that stopped BAMA’s offense was BAMA’s offense. But Riley is an offensive genius. 

• Like 1

Re-posted from Mav's thread: 

7 minutes ago, AKA said:

The OU defense did about as good as they could've done, given the circumstances. They still s u c k e d, but their level of s u c k a g e was actually somewhat less than usual. For all the records, and stats, and awards...  the game remains the same: defense wins championships. Until OU makes defensive excellence the priority, offensive highlights won't amount to anything in the post-season. 

My biggest disappointment is with the playcalling. Riley choked. Simple as that. I could go play by play, but frankly I'm just over it at this point. I guess it's cool that Kyler earned his Heisman once again. Tua is truly awesome, but Kyler is the only thing that kept us even with the illusion of being able to come back. 

I don't believe in moral victories. All I see is another once-in-a-generation talent squandered. 

I have several thoughts.

About the game: I did not expect to win, and the final score was closer than I expected it to be. It was nice to show some fight, and I really didn't want another program-defining embarrassing postseason loss.  wish Riley will learn from his mistakes and establish the running game in these types of games before we start chunking it deep. Oklahoma's defense only managed two stops (Alabama only managed four). Replay correctly took away one breaks that Oklahoma probably needed to win.

The play that will stick in my mind from the game is the 2nd offensive play for Oklahoma when Murray attempted to run and the Alabama defensive player made a great play to drag him down as he was running by. If Oklahoma makes it 7 - 7 there then who knows, but they were down 14 - 0 before they had run four offensive plays. 

About next season: I hope that Riley will lean on Sermon and Brooks more. Lamb is going to be one of the best receivers in that nation, and the offensive line will probably young but very talented. Who knows about the QB position today. Supposedly Oklahoma is in play for Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts while also bringing the #1 QB recruit from the 2019 class.

The defense should be better. The 2017, 2018, and now 2019 classes have drastically increased the "talent", but Oklahoma has to find the right coach(es) to develop the talent.

About the program:  This defensive coordinator hire HAS to be successful. It's the only thing that will take Oklahoma up the top tier of college football where only Alabama and Clemson are currently located. I feel like Riley has done a good job in his first seasons as a head coach. His legacy will be determined by if he can successfully clean up the mess that was left by his predecessor on the defensive side of the football. 

In 2015, I was just happy to be relevant again.

In 2017, I really felt like Oklahoma was the best team in the nation and let the chance to win the NC get away.

In 2018, I thought this was the weakest Oklahoma team to make the playoff(the defense was so bad), but they deserved to be there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I have several thoughts.

About the game: I did not expect to win, and the final score was closer than I expected it to be. It was nice to show some fight, and I really didn't want another program-defining embarrassing postseason loss.  wish Riley will learn from his mistakes and establish the running game in these types of games before we start chunking it deep. Oklahoma's defense only managed two stops (Alabama only managed four). Replay correctly took away one breaks that Oklahoma probably needed to win.

The play that will stick in my mind from the game is the 2nd offensive play for Oklahoma when Murray attempted to run and the Alabama defensive player made a great play to drag him down as he was running by. If Oklahoma makes it 7 - 7 there then who knows, but they were down 14 - 0 before they had run four offensive plays. 

About next season: I hope that Riley will lean on Sermon and Brooks more. Lamb is going to be one of the best receivers in that nation, and the offensive line will probably young but very talented. Who knows about the QB position today. Supposedly Oklahoma is in play for Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts while also bringing the #1 QB recruit from the 2019 class.

The defense should be better. The 2017, 2018, and now 2019 classes have drastically increased the "talent", but Oklahoma has to find the right coach(es) to develop the talent.

About the program:  This defensive coordinator hire HAS to be successful. It's the only thing that will take Oklahoma up the top tier of college football where only Alabama and Clemson are currently located. I feel like Riley has done a good job in his first seasons as a head coach. His legacy will be determined by if he can successfully clean up the mess that was left by his predecessor on the defensive side of the football. 

In 2015, I was just happy to be relevant again.

In 2017, I really felt like Oklahoma was the best team in the nation and let the chance to win the NC get away.

In 2018, I thought this was the weakest Oklahoma team to make the playoff(the defense was so bad), but they deserved to be there. 

I agree with you on 100% of this. Going into the playoff last year, I had OU picked to win it. I felt like they were playing the best football in the country at the time. They outplayed UGA then let them slip away. UGA outplayed BAMA then did the same (twice). Kirby Smart has lost two games to BAMA that he should have won. The first one because he got too conservative, the second one because he went to the other extreme (the ill advised fake punt). Eventually he’s going to stop beating himself. I can easily see OU and UGA joining BAMA and Clemson at the top. 

• Mr. P locked this topic