Longhorns 2018 Thread

Just now, Lion70 said:

Well there a quite a bit of difference between 4a high school football and Division 1 football.

Aledo’s Johnathan gray came from a bigger school.  He didn’t pan out.  Katy’s Kyle porter has been pretty terrible so far.  Big school doesn’t guarantee a good career.  

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think Boyd is anywhere near a first rd guy. I like him, but that’s extremely high praise. I don’t see him being one of the top 3-4 corners in the country.... 

I think Texas will be pretty good rushing the passer as well. 

Do you think this team is better than last years team? 

I see boyd as a 3-4 Rd pick.  The opening drive against OU happens too much with him.  Just yesterday in the spring game he got turned around on a play that should’ve been picked.  The only reason he got a hand on it was it almost hit him in the face.  He is a solid player with good measureables but the “aw ####” plays happen too often with Boyd

• Like 1

Post Spring Season Prediction *

* some Kool-aid was consumed while typing these predictions

Texas at Maryland— Win

Texas vs Tulsa— Win

Texas vs USC— Win, Going to be a big recruiting weekend for the Horns. I actually think Texas rolls the Trojans.

Texas vs TCU— Win, New QB for the Frogs and young Oline. Their defense will be good but I think Texas finally gets over their TCU slump. 

Texas at Kansas State — Toss up, its Bill Snyder on the road you don't predict a W, you just hope you escape with a W somehow. 

Texas vs. Oklahoma — Toss up, New QB for OU but rivalry games aren't predictable. Herman builds this game up to the players. I love this game!

Baylor at Texas — Win

Texas at Oklahoma State — Win, New QB for the Cowboys, but it's on the road so anything could happen. Texas should've won this game last year. 

West Virginia at Texas — Loss, Best returning QB in the league will be eager to get revenge after missing the majority of last years game. 

Texas at Texas Tech — Toss up, Tech came into DKR and beat Texas last year and weird things happen in Lubbock.

Iowa State at Texas — Win

Texas at Kansas — Win 

For prediction purposes I'll say 9-3! Your thoughts?? It's officially off-season so let's discuss!

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

Not trying to argue here, but nobody really stopped Manziel in 2013 either. They lost games because of defense giving up 40+ every other game. In Johnny’s 3 losses in 2013, he scored 42 against Bama and then played with injured throwing hand the final two games which were losses to LSU and Auburn. Had nothing to do with Johnny getting spied... carry on with the Texas thread now lol 

Yeah that Aggie defense hurt Johnny, but the offense was so good. It wasn't til the year after he left where the poor defensive play stood out, at least to me.

14 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Post Spring Season Prediction *

* some Kool-aid was consumed while typing these predictions

Texas at Maryland— Win

Texas vs Tulsa— Win

Texas vs USC— Win, Going to be a big recruiting weekend for the Horns. I actually think Texas rolls the Trojans.

Texas vs TCU— Win, New QB for the Frogs and young Oline. Their defense will be good but I think Texas finally gets over their TCU slump. 

Texas at Kansas State — Toss up, its Bill Snyder on the road you don't predict a W, you just hope you escape with a W somehow. 

Texas vs. Oklahoma — Toss up, New QB for OU but rivalry games aren't predictable. Herman builds this game up to the players. I love this game!

Baylor at Texas — Win

Texas at Oklahoma State — Win, New QB for the Cowboys, but it's on the road so anything could happen. Texas should've won this game last year. 

West Virginia at Texas — Loss, Best returning QB in the league will be eager to get revenge after missing the majority of last years game. 

Texas at Texas Tech — Toss up, Tech came into DKR and beat Texas last year and weird things happen in Lubbock.

Iowa State at Texas — Win

Texas at Kansas — Win 

For prediction purposes I'll say 9-3! Your thoughts?? It's officially off-season so let's discuss!

I agree with this, but I would say the Oklahoma State game is more of a toss up than Tech. Weird things do happen in Lubbock, but Tech is going to be awful this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I agree with this, but I would say the Oklahoma State game is more of a toss up than Tech. Weird things do happen in Lubbock, but Tech is going to be awful this year. 

Yeah, you are probably right. Texas just seems to play well against OKST. Even in losses it's always a tight game, maybe the comebacks from the Mack era makes me feel that way. 

And Tech is like Iowa St, they shouldn't beat you but they have to ability to bite you if you aren't ready to play for 60 minutes. 

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Meaning they will probably win 6-7 games somehow lol....

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yeah, you are probably right. Texas just seems to play well against OKST. Even in losses it's always a tight game, maybe the comebacks from the Mack era makes me feel that way. 

And Tech is like Iowa St, they shouldn't beat you but they have to ability to bite you if you aren't ready to play for 60 minutes. 

They do play well against Oklahoma State. I think the loss against Tech in Austin might give them a good edge against Tech this year, but you're right, you never know with them.

9 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Meaning they will probably win 6-7 games somehow lol....

And Kliff will be getting another year haha

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

They do play well against Oklahoma State. I think the loss against Tech in Austin might give them a good edge against Tech this year, but you're right, you never know with them.

And Kliff will be getting another year haha

people out here in North Texas/West really like Kliff... so it wouldnt shock me... I know ive said it a hundred times, but Kliff isn't playing freshman unless he has to this year.  He is in it to save his job...

27 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

people out here in North Texas/West really like Kliff... so it wouldnt shock me... I know ive said it a hundred times, but Kliff isn't playing freshman unless he has to this year.  He is in it to save his job...

That's strange to me. They just finished dead last in recruiting, and I'm not even sure who their qb is this year. I think he got lucky with getting another year if you ask me. I think the administration knows that it would be a tough deal getting someone better than him out there in the flatlands.

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

That's strange to me. They just finished dead last in recruiting, and I'm not even sure who their qb is this year. I think he got lucky with getting another year if you ask me. I think the administration knows that it would be a tough deal getting someone better than him out there in the flatlands.

They aren't happy with his results, but he is very well liked out here... It's weird.  

More comparable to the LSU lovefest of Les Miles (with better results).  He was loved by most of Louisiana, but didn't produce the yearly results most were expecting.  It got him another 4-5 games before they let him go and promoted old Gumbo butt...

There won't be that same kind of resistance from fans out here, but he gets along pretty well with coaches, and has a nice relationship with the media.

Sam definitely improved. He scrambled out of the pocket a couple times but he still kept his eyes downfield. Last year he would have just tucked it and ran. He stands with more confidence in the pocket which is what the coaching staff has been focusing on.

As far as Shane, it's hard to tell with that Oline. When he can stand in the pocket, he can really sling it (with accuracy too). The Oline will get better. He still hesitates running. I think I remember in the spring game he had green grass in front of him and instead he threw the ball away.

I see improvement in both honestly. I will say that I really like the young QB's. They both have some good potential.

Edit: I do not like spring games. I find it really hard evaluating the team with all the rules, scoring, and what not.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

They aren't happy with his results, but he is very well liked out here... It's weird.  

More comparable to the LSU lovefest of Les Miles (with better results).  He was loved by most of Louisiana, but didn't produce the yearly results most were expecting.  It got him another 4-5 games before they let him go and promoted old Gumbo butt...

There won't be that same kind of resistance from fans out here, but he gets along pretty well with coaches, and has a nice relationship with the media.

He really is. I have family in Lubbock, and they say the people out there love him. They are starting to get a little impatient, but Tech fans are used to mediocrity. He's really involved with the community there and that's a big deal to those fans. If there's one thing I'll speak highly of for Tech is that they have a really strong community/support system for that school which is cool.  

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Here are a few plays from Ehlinger day. When he had the opportunity to stand or step up in the pocket, he was pretty accurate. Last year he may have stepped up and ran but on Saturday he was stepping up and throwing darts. 

https://youtu.be/gD2e638AyNc

1. Hit Humphrey on back hip instead of in front

2. Held ball too long on roll out, Humphrey could’ve turned upfield to green grass had ball got there quicker.

3.  Good deep pass

4. Pass to Leitao was low and behind.

5. Pass to Leitao on time. 

6. Stupid throw, if kris Boyd could get his hips turned it’d be 6 the other way.  

Thats just the first drive.  He’s not real accurate if u ask me.  Completion doesn’t always mean accuracy.  Throwing so the receiver can run is.  He had several bad throws that were completions the rest of the day as well.

• Like 1

Well he's not a finished product but I can see improvement from year 1 to spring of year 2. His intermediate throws are his most accurate 10-15 yard outs and digs. He definitely has to get better on swings routes and bubble screens, those can turn into huge plays if the WR is able to catch on the run. I would not ask him to throw a back shoulder fade. 

26 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Well he's not a finished product but I can see improvement from year 1 to spring of year 2. His intermediate throws are his most accurate 10-15 yard outs and digs. He definitely has to get better on swings routes and bubble screens, those can turn into huge plays if the WR is able to catch on the run. I would not ask him to throw a back shoulder fade. 

He’s definitely improved.  My question to Beck, why a bubble screen to Johnson?  I don’t mind the play, but why not Heard or Burt.  They can take that to the house.  Johnson isn’t a bubble screen guy imo.  One of my biggest issues with Beck/Mehringer so far.  Right play, wrong personnel 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He’s definitely improved.  My question to Beck, why a bubble screen to Johnson?  I don’t mind the play, but why not Heard or Burt.  They can take that to the house.  Johnson isn’t a bubble screen guy imo.  One of my biggest issues with Beck/Mehringer so far.  Right play, wrong personnel 

I think Thompson and Rising show a lot of promise. I liked watching them out there.

• Mr. P locked this topic