Longhorns 2018 Thread

On 8/15/2018 at 9:40 AM, cotton84 said:

With Ingram not enrolling in the spring(missing the specialized weight training and the specialized cafeteria------to add a few extra pounds of muscle), my hope is that there is another back(s) capable of getting some touches...……...Hoping Ingram continues his progress and gets about 11-12  touches(runs and passes caught) per game and stays 100% healthy...…………..Then by next year, handle a lots bigger role

BTW...…….I don't blame him for staying at Carthage for the spring, I would have also in his shoes

I like this plan and post.

Looks like Davion Curtis is transferring.  Seems like Jamison and Josh Moore were already getting more reps at slot-wr than him.

I wouldn't be surprised if between now and next spring to see Houston, T. Carter, Townsend, Urquidez, and Fitzgerald transfer as I don't think any of them will ever make any impact or see the field.  While Carter played last year he seems to have already been passed up by Ingram.

Also, supposedly Kirk Johnson is healthy and getting reps with the 1's.  If he's healthy he's easily the most dynamic RB on the roster.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Looks like Davion Curtis is transferring.  Seems like Jamison and Josh Moore were already getting more reps at slot-wr than him.

I wouldn't be surprised if between now and next spring to see Houston, T. Carter, Townsend, Urquidez, and Fitzgerald transfer as I don't think any of them will ever make any impact or see the field.  While Carter played last year he seems to have already been passed up by Ingram.

Also, supposedly Kirk Johnson is healthy and getting reps with the 1's.  If he's healthy he's easily the most dynamic RB on the roster.

Townsend has a chance to play and make a name for himself right now with all the injuries. 

7 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

That would make 78 scholarship players. Also I think the max Texas could take this year is 28, with 3 being able to rollback to last years class.

That 2016 class looks like a total bust for the most part.  9 have already transferred (Fowler, Elliot, Daniels, Southall, Curtis, Mapps, Delance, Aucoin, Cuffee), with several more looking like transfer candidates.  Then thrown in D. Boyd probably never suiting up again.

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

That 2016 class looks like a total bust for the most part.  9 have already transferred (Fowler, Elliot, Daniels, Southall, Curtis, Mapps, Delance, Aucoin, Cuffee), with several more looking like transfer candidates.  Then thrown in D. Boyd probably never suiting up again.

Coaching change has some to do with this but looking back Strong took some serious character issue guys.

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

The bigger surprise is that he announced it today. I thought he’d wait until next Monday. 

I like that he announced it earlier. It gives Ehlinger the extra time in the public eye as the official starter, as opposed to the week of the first game.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Texas's OOC schedule is set up for a while, but talks are in place for future home-and-home matchups with Georgia, Clemson, and Penn State.

What about A&M? I thought Herman wanted to start playing the Aggies in nonconference. 

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

What about A&M? I thought Herman wanted to start playing the Aggies in nonconference. 

They're trying to get all their premier games scheduled first. They'll go back and add the warm up games later. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

3 hours ago, eagle34 said:

It depends on A&M's future schedule too. I posted a link a while back about Del Conte talking about the A&M game being rescheduled. I think both have their schedules pretty packed for the next 10 years or so. 

1 hour ago, TTman7 said:

That’s it. Terrified. Scheduling Clemson but afraid of Texas. 🙄

its not about being scared, it’s about A&Ms AD just not wanting to play. I personally want to see the game again, but people who think either team is “scared” to play the other is sort of childish. This is about ego, not fear. 

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

its not about being scared, it’s about A&Ms AD just not wanting to play. I personally want to see the game again, but people who think either team is “scared” to play the other is sort of childish. This is about ego, not fear. 

Nail. On. Head.

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

I disagree... it's much easier to schedule Clemson right now than Texas. Obviously A&M wants to beat Clemson, but most fans will be content with a loss if the Aggies compete well. On the other hand a loss to Texas could be detrimental to A&M in many ways. Same goes for Texas losing to A&M. I don't mind that the AD doesn't want to schedule Texas, but have the guts to say it. Don't use the excuse that the schedule is full because it is not. And he can't say it's because it fits for Texas but not A&M. Take a look at UT's out of conference opponents for 2022 & 2023 - a home and home with Alabama. Ego is involved - no doubt, but there is fear of losing to an in state rival as well.

• Like 4

Personally, with what Texas is doing with their OOC schedule, I think A&M does need the game more than Texas, at this point. Not only is Texas going out and scheduling premier programs in the country in OOC,  but they're adding the heavy hitters from the SEC....LSU, Bama, Georgia. They also have Arkansas on the schedule, and have already played Ole Miss. So let's think of this from a recruiting perspective then....

Sure, omitting the OOC mention above, strictly from a head to head stand point, one could make an argument that A&M would have more to lose in recruiting if they played Texas and lost. But let's look at the argument Texas can now start to make on the recruiting trail. 'We may not play in the SEC, but we will still be playing the best teams from the SEC, while also still playing other top teams around the country, as well as every team in our conference. In doing so, we will play the 4th toughest schedule in college football.'. Now what do you think happens if Texas beats those teams? Then they'll be able to add to their pitch, 'We're playing the same top teams from the SEC that A&M is playing, but winning.'. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Personally, with what Texas is doing with their OOC schedule, I think A&M does need the game more than Texas, at this point. Not only is Texas going out and scheduling premier programs in the country in OOC,  but they're adding the heavy hitters from the SEC....LSU, Bama, Georgia. They also have Arkansas on the schedule, and have already played Ole Miss. So let's think of this from a recruiting perspective then....

Sure, omitting the OOC mention above, strictly from a head to head stand point, one could make an argument that A&M would have more to lose in recruiting if they played Texas and lost. But let's look at the argument Texas can now start to make on the recruiting trail. 'We may not play in the SEC, but we will still be playing the best teams from the SEC, while also still playing other top teams around the country, as well as every team in our conference. In doing so, we will play the 4th toughest schedule in college football.'. Now what do you think happens if Texas beats those teams? Then they'll be able to add to their pitch, 'We're playing the same top teams from the SEC that A&M is playing, but winning.'. 

This is true, BUT the Longhorns have to win their fair share of those games for playing those teams to be a selling point.

8 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I don’t think either team “needs” the game at all. I don’t think either team benefits more. If Texas wins and goes 8-4 it doesn’t really mean much. Same can be said for A&M. The absolute biggest difference has and will continue to be draft picks and conference alignment until one or the other establishes themselves as the true playoff contender. Literally every single kid that commits to A&M mentions the opportunity to play in the sec against the best competition and they mention the amount of draft picks in the nfl every year. I don’t think one kid that has committed to A&M over the last 2-3 years would have changed their mind simply over a head to head game against Texas. I don’t think A&M magically lands anyone else because they beat Texas then go 4-4 in sec play. 

Head to head matchups don’t mean as much from different conferences. If they both were in the same conference, you could sell that the winning one is closer to the conference title. In different conferences, both could #### but there has to be a winner, and you can’t really justify which one is closer to a title because the competition is different. 

All in all, this game should happen because the fans and the players want it for bragging rights and to continue a tradition that’s 100+ years old. Neither team just needs or gets much better or worse with a win...

• Like 1

WR Davion Curtis made his transfer public today and has enrolled at TJC. 

DE Andrew Fitzgerald has retired from football but will continue as a student and UT. 

That will open 2 schollys and affirms what we’ve been hearing out of the practice reports that the freshman class is really good. These two guys found themselves running with 3rd and 4th string teams behind freshmen. 

• Mr. P locked this topic