Longhorns 2018 Thread

It's just a shame that our defense is getting beat because they aren't doing things that are coached better at the high school level. I'm talking about simple things like maintaining your gap, getting off blocks and breaking down in the open field to make a tackle. Why would our outside contain work inside when the ball is coming his way? Why does our LB chase a fake handoff when the entire offensive line is zone blocking the opposite direction? And how in the world do we let the WR get behind us with 20 seconds to play and a 7 point lead? I don't think we need to worry about Orlando going anywhere right now.

PS - Kudos to WV going for 2 and the win. You can't stop everything, but you better at least key the guy with the ball when the game is on the line and he only needs 3 yards.

30 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Wheeler was picked on that entire drive! They ran at him and threw to the TE right at him. 

He's been a dissapointment. Heck... All the LBs are a dissapointment. Sure Johnson can run, but how many times do we hear his name?

• Like 1

I am officially off the Orlando hype train. Coming out of the bye week, you know where your team should be able to get refocused on the little things, Texas has given up 80 points and almost 1200 Yards. Don’t tackle consistently. Don’t cover consistently. Can’t stop the run consistently but make up for it by almost never being able to get pressure on the QB and cover the pass. He again gets out dueled in crucial junctions that decide the outcome of the game. Consistently let Wheeer just get picked on and abused and adjusted by putting even younger DL guys into the game in front of him. Just so frustrated right now. 

Just now, TxFight said:

Texas is doing a lot of things well offensively. Protecting the football, limiting the 3 and outs, switching field position, scoring points. Heck even special teams are better. But my goodness can someone play some flippin defense. 

Can’t set the LOS with 3 DL.   That’s why he’s constantly having to send pressure and expecting the secondary to stop the run.  Won’t change until his philosophy does.

• Like 1

Just now, TxFight said:

Texas is doing a lot of things well offensively. Protecting the football, limiting the 3 and outs, switching field position, scoring points. Heck even special teams are better. But my goodness can someone play some flippin defense. 

It's not like the D was tired, Texas O actually had the ball for about 4 minutes each drive.

The personnel of this defense can’t run the same defense that we saw last year. Texas went to nickel in the 2nd half and was still getting gashed by the run. 

I sound like a broken record but Wheeler can’t graduate soon enough. DeGabriel Floyd will be an instant upgrade even as a true freshman. 

16 minutes ago, TxFight said:

Texas is the most bi-polar team in the NCAA this year.  They only play well on 1 side of the ball per game.  You never get both...

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Texas is the most bi-polar team in the NCAA this year.  They only play well on 1 side of the ball per game.  You never get both...

Pretty solid analysis, although sometimes they play great for 3 quarters and then lose focus for a quarter. 

34 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Can’t set the LOS with 3 DL.   That’s why he’s constantly having to send pressure and expecting the secondary to stop the run.  Won’t change until his philosophy does.

You can if you have LBs that can read and work downhill. 

• Like 1

Texas has the ball 1st and goal inside the one yard line and can't  run up the middle for 1 yard?  Why in the wide world of sports are they running deep and wide? Trying to be way too cute instead  of powering it in.  Cost them the game settling for a field goal ... smh

25 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Texas has the ball 1st and goal inside the one yard line and can't  run up the middle for 1 yard?  Why in the wide world of sports are they running deep and wide? Trying to be way too cute instead  of powering it in.  Cost them the game settling for a field goal ... smh

Literally WVU is the only team that has stopped the QB sweep. Texas has had ton of success with that play this year. It was a bad result but not a bad call. 

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

You can if you have LBs that can read and work downhill. 

Those LBs can’t read because the LOS is coming at them or they’ve been blitzed.  Hard the get downhill when you’re constantly getting OL upfield for blocks.  Until the DL goes to a 4 man front, this defense is destined to ####.  Doesn’t matter who your LBs are

• Mr. P locked this topic