Longhorns 2018 Thread

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I would really like to see that sugar bowl matchup. 

Me too honestly. I think it would be a better game then most think. 

Texas would be defending a more conventional offense with nickel. It would be a game played in the 20's with physicality, field position, turnover margin, and penalties deciding the winner, IMO. 

The biggest question is can Texas match Georgia’s physicality in the trenches? 

18 hours ago, WETSU said:

Does stuff like this happen often among programs? I can’t remember ever seeing anything like it so I was just curious. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-college-football-coaches.html

Here's a good article from last year explaining how teams are using these extra coaches. I was surprised not so much by how many teams do this, but how many extra guys these programs are carrying. I believe Texas has four on staff.

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/ncaafootball/alabama-college-football-coaches.html

Here's a good article from last year explaining how teams are using these extra coaches. I was surprised not so much by how many teams do this, but how many extra guys these programs are carrying. I believe Texas has four on staff.

Very smart. I wonder if a team has hired anyone so soon after they were released from their previous job? It was what? A few hours? A couple days? I wonder if Herman and Beatty talked before or after the game and had a nice chat which led to that. 

15 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I know there are coaches on staff who are consultants of sorts, I’ve just never seen one essentially “consulting” for the team he just played the day before, in an attempt to help him beat a team he just played the week before. It just seemed like something I’ve never seen before. Maybe it’s more common and I only know of this one because of Beatys ties to Texas teams. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I know there are coaches on staff who are consultants of sorts, I’ve just never seen one essentially “consulting” for the team he just played the day before, in an attempt to help him beat a team he just played the week before. It just seemed like something I’ve never seen before. Maybe it’s more common and I only know of this one because of Beatys ties to Texas teams. 

Beatty and Herman coached together a few years ago IIRC. I agree it seems strange, but if it's within the rules, why not use it as best you can?

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Beatty and Herman coached together a few years ago IIRC. I agree it seems strange, but if it's within the rules, why not use it as best you can?

Oh I wasn’t knocking it at all... Smart move by all parties involved. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Greg Robinson was hired as a defensive consultant before Manny _iaz got fired.  Robinson took over immediately

• Mr. P locked this topic