Longhorns 2018 Thread

37 minutes ago, Bulldognation1 said:

Heck with the way Texas is “overacheiving” by playing for big 12 title in year two (even though that was the team goal was to contend for conference title this year). Who’s to say they won’t overachieve next year, Sam’s junior year & be in the National Title hunt? 

They very well could if some key players come back, if they can land some immediate LB help, and the OL gels next year. 

Week 2 vs LSU is a huge game for playoff considerations. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

1st Team All Big 12---- Beck, Boyd, Sterns, and Omenihu

2nd Team All Big 12--- Shack, Dicker, G. Johnson

Many others were Honorable Mention

Sterns? They must not watch the games, just see the stat sheet (pics). Overrated 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, thegreatbambino said:

He's a true freshman who held his own in a pass happy league. He is a solid player right now and could easily be a star in a couple of years.

Agree with this completely. There were a couple games he was asked to take more of the leadership role, due to some injuries and targeting suspensions, that he struggled a bit in. Overall, this is well deserved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

He's a true freshman who held his own in a pass happy league. He is a solid player right now and could easily be a star in a couple of years.

100% agree. He's a solid player and should be a  star in a couple of years, but 1st team All Big 12 this year?  Can't agree with that. 

I think Sterns would definitely be 1st team...I didn't see any safeties in the Big 12 that were really as strong as him...aside from guys on our squad possibly in stretches. During those early games, he was awesome...he might have been making a run at All-American. Don't be shocked if he's a "1st Team Freshman All-American".

43 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

With it looking like Kliff goes to USC I think that'll close the door on Bru McCoy.  Kid was looking for any reason to choose USC.

Btw, Texas is now #5 in the recruiting rankings.  Composite.

Texas should start looking at their defensive recruits! Air-raid and defense don’t mix.

6 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

All Big 12 FRESHMAN Defensive Player of the Year.

That is a different category that being an All Big 12 Defensive Player honoree.

Ok. That makes more sense. I was responding to the poster that said 1st team All Big 12- Beck , Boyd, Stearns, Ohmenihu

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

With it looking like Kliff goes to USC I think that'll close the door on Bru McCoy.  Kid was looking for any reason to choose USC.

Btw, Texas is now #5 in the recruiting rankings.  Composite.

Recruiting rankings, meh.........

Carries some weight, but lots of times some of those guys highly rated end up fizzling out and some of the 2 and 3 star guys end up being the real stars.

12 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

IT reported that OT Tyler Johnson will enroll early at Texas. That’s huge because he may factor into the depth chart next fall with the Horns replacing 3 starters along the Oline. 

Have to think a juco or grad transfer is brought it.  Idk if any of the current freshmen will make a Sam Cosmi type leap after 1 year, maybe Angilau?  Reese Moore and C. Jones are still another year or 2 away imo.  I hope Imade can finally put it all together, physically he looks the part.  I'm just glad Texas is finally able to red shirt all ol and dl.

I seen IT also saying if Texas misses on Bru and maybe some others they aren't going to take guys just for numbers and save those spots for 2020.

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

Have to think a juco or grad transfer is brought it.  Idk if any of the current freshmen will make a Sam Cosmi type leap after 1 year, maybe Angilau?  Reese Moore and C. Jones are still another year or 2 away imo.  I hope Imade can finally put it all together, physically he looks the part.  I'm just glad Texas is finally able to red shirt all ol and dl.

I seen IT also saying if Texas misses on Bru and maybe some others they aren't going to take guys just for numbers and save those spots for 2020.

I think they’ll still try hard to bring in a JUCO and/or a grad transfer. 

I agree with saving the scholarship if they can. 2020 is a much better instate year for talent and not as many knuckleheads. 

• Mr. P locked this topic