Longhorns 2018 Thread

Everyone talks a lot of smack about that OU/Bama game, and this is hard to say, because as a Texas fan, I HATE OU. But, OU's offense is the real deal. They proved last year that they could run toe to toe with a SEC team, and they're better this year than last. Not only that, but their defense is a shade better than it was under Mike Stoops in my opinion. If nobody remembers, OU ran all over Georgia last year. Yes, Georgia ran all over OU as well... but that was expected. 

As for Texas and Georgia, I think this will be a good game. I don't see how anyone can sit there and say that just because a team is from the SEC, they're head and shoulders against someone else. Texas beat down on Missouri last year, and Texas STRUGGLED all season. OU gave Georgia all they wanted, and that game could have gone either way. 

Johnson/Humphrey will have a 4-7in height advantage on anyone covering them man-to-man. A huge key in this game will be how well Texas offensive line can perform. They've got to have their best game, because Georgia can get to the QB.

We will see though. I'm thinking about going to this game. I just don't care nothing about New Orleans lol.

Oh, and another key will be if Kris Boyd can keep his penalty total down just a hair. The amount of un-called for penalties on him was ridiculous. If you're a top tier DB, you just don't do that. The only one I can understand was the horse collar, because that's literally the only way he was going to tackle that guy. 

Wait, did you just say OU's defense has been better since firing Stoops? I know you said it was an opinion, but that opinion can be debunked with actual evidence....

Under Stoops:

27 ppg

Without Stoops:

37 ppg

And that includes the B12 Championship, that actually saw them play better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Wait, did you just say OU's defense has been better since firing Stoops? I know you said it was an opinion, but that opinion can be debunked with actual evidence....

Under Stoops:
27 ppg

Without Stoops:
37 ppg

I don't want to come into a UT thread and start ranting and raving about my frustration with OU's defense, but as someone who's watched every OU game this season, this defense is not better under Ruffin than it was under Mike Stoops. The only improvement is that we blitz more and show a four-man front more. Which, I have to admit, is better than the 3-8 defense that Mike seemed to prefer, but statistically it's a "push."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Under Stoops:

27 ppg

Without Stoops:

37 ppg

They also played West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State after Stoops was fired too.

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

You forgot Kamsas, who also scored 40.

bFWsTE9.gif

That's a major x factor right there. 

It would be one thing if Tech, Okie State, and WVa were the only teams that rolled up the stats, but friggin' Kansas ran the ball at will. Then you add in the fact that TCU's lame-o backup QB came in off the bench and started dropping dimes on our secondary. If not for an injured hand we might've even lost that one. 

There's no other way to say it: this defense is horrible. Granted, they've had a few moments here and there. But most of their achievements have been gifts from opposing offenses. 

Texas currently has 22 commits

Targets remaining

RB- Noah Cain, DJ Williams, JUCO Rhamondre Stevenson

OL- Iasiah Hookfin, JUCO Myron Cunningham, JUCO Jay Williams

LB- JUCO Caleb Johnson, if Texas misses on Johnson, I look for a few more names to pop up

Other- Catalon and McCoy (both of these are bonuses, if they want in you take them)

I look for a finish of Cain, Hookfin, JUCO OL, and Johnson or another JUCO LB. That would put Texas at 26. 

Also I expect for the to be active on the Grad Transfer market again (RB, OL, DL, LB)

28 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

Targets remaining

LB- JUCO Caleb Johnson, if Texas misses on Johnson, I look for a few more names to pop up

Other- Catalon and McCoy (both of these are bonuses, if they want in you take them)

I look for a finish of Cain, Hookfin, JUCO OL, and Johnson or another JUCO LB. That would put Texas at 26. 

Also I expect for the to be active on the Grad Transfer market again (RB, OL, DL, LB)

I think your finish is spot on and agree with the grad transfer. 

I think McCoy would kill it at Texas but he seems to be trying to find a reason to go to USC, despite them being a dumpster fire. 

36 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think your finish is spot on and agree with the grad transfer. 

I think McCoy would kill it at Texas but he seems to be trying to find a reason to go to USC, despite them being a dumpster fire. 

Caleb Johnson is the most important remaining target IMO.  A linebacker with great speed and is a January enrollee plus has 3 years to play 3.  Love his film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegreatbambino said:

Targets remaining

I'm hoping they offer the Medford kid from Henderson. He will be a 2020 grad. He also had an uncle that played at UT.

• Mr. P locked this topic