Longhorns 2018 Thread

So EJ Holland has been saying Texas will sign about 27 in this years class. Texas currently has 19 signed, so that leaves 8 more spots. 

1. Ingram

2. Coburn

3-8. ? (OL, DL, WR, LB, RB)

Grad Transfers don't count against this class number, just the total 85 scholarships. Hope Texas can land at least 2 grad transfers.

I think

1 OL (HS kid) 

1 LB

1 WR (slot)

2 DL

1 Slot/RB (scat back)

4 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

So EJ Holland has been saying Texas will sign about 27 in this years class. Texas currently has 19 signed, so that leaves 8 more spots. 

1. Ingram

2. Coburn

3-8. ? (OL, DL, WR, LB, RB)

Grad Transfers don't count against this class number, just the total 85 scholarships. Hope Texas can land at least 2 grad transfers.

I think

1 OL (HS kid) 

1 LB

1 WR (slot)

2 DL

1 Slot/RB (scat back)

There must be some silent commits, cause there is no chatter at all, only vague hints here and there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lion70 said:

They don't need him Texas already has a established QB. Not sure A&M tcu, Baylor need him either. My gut says he stays at Bama or switches position like Ohio St QB did a few years ago.

Has jalen Hurts even said he was transferring???  He’s 26-2 as a starter, two title appearances.  As far as anybody knows, he is still the starter for Alabama.   He had a bad half against a great defense, has a great attitude and helped his backup all through the game.  He could’ve sulled and didn’t.  Saban will tell him he needs to stay

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Has jalen Hurts even said he was transferring???  He’s 26-2 as a starter, two title appearances.  As far as anybody knows, he is still the starter for Alabama.   He had a bad half against a great defense, has a great attitude and helped his backup all through the game.  He could’ve sulled and didn’t.  Saban will tell him he needs to stay

Nobody said he was, it's just a premature thought. It's okay to talk about it lol.

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If Hurts is the starter then Tua is transferring... mark my words on that one.  But Hurts was never really expected to play much for Bama last season... The fact that all of their projected pocket passing 5* sucked in the Spring and Fall gave him a chance and Lane Kiffen helped him look amazing.  Tua has been the projected starter since the day he committed.  The Elite 11 coaches were shocked that he didn't start over Hurts THIS YEAR.  There is no way that Hurts wins this job back and there is no way that he is better than the Bama skill players to switch positions... His only pro prospect is to transfer or pray for an injury to Tua.

My thoughts are that he probably transfers... If I were him, I'd consider a couple of moves (1) FAU- reunite with the guy who made him SEC Player of the Year as a Freshman... (2) UCF- he gets to sling the ball around to "prove that he can throw" and win a lot of games or (3) Some mid-tier ACC school that loves the spread option...

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

If Hurts is the starter then Tua is transferring... mark my words on that one.  But Hurts was never really expected to play much for Bama last season... The fact that all of their projected pocket passing 5* sucked in the Spring and Fall gave him a chance and Lane Kiffen helped him look amazing.  Tua has been the projected starter since the day he committed.  The Elite 11 coaches were shocked that he didn't start over Hurts THIS YEAR.  There is no way that Hurts wins this job back and there is no way that he is better than the Bama skill players to switch positions... His only pro prospect is to transfer or pray for an injury to Tua.

My thoughts are that he probably transfers... If I were him, I'd consider a couple of moves (1) FAU- reunite with the guy who made him SEC Player of the Year as a Freshman... (2) UCF- he gets to sling the ball around to "prove that he can throw" and win a lot of games or (3) Some mid-tier ACC school that loves the spread option...

Does Hurts stay and compete for the job thru the spring and when Tua is named the starter then transfer, or does he see the writing on the wall and transfer now?

He was offered by Morris and SMU, could Arkansas be an option? Just a Hog fan hoping.

Just now, playactionpass39 said:

Does Hurts stay and compete for the job thru the spring and when Tua is named the starter then transfer, or does he see the writing on the wall and transfer now?

He was offered by Morris and SMU, could Arkansas be an option? Just a Hog fan hoping.

Would he have to sit two years transferring in conference?

17 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Nebraska with Scott Frost. They need a qb and that dude is a genius.

Is the Stidham play in effect? Could he take a year off and transfer wherever he wanted?

Saban will not crown Tua the starter going into the spring. There will be an open competition, one in which I'm sure Tua will win. The current rumor is if Tua didn't play in the championship game, he was going to transfer (Oregon anyone?). 

I don't see him transferring, but I'm not sure what happens if he stays. Can't really buy into a position change because the depth is insanely good at Alabama, but he is a physical freak, so who knows...

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I thought the sec had a two year rule for in conference transfers

I don't think a conference can supersede an NCAA rule, but a school can block a transfer.  

SEC. Section 14.5.5.1 addresses such circumstances:

A transfer student from a member institution shall not be eligible for intercollegiate competition at another member institution until the student has fulfilled a residence requirement of one full academic year (two full semesters) at the certifying institution. Further, a transfer student-athlete admitted after the 12th class day may not utilize that semester for the purpose of establishing residency. Student-athletes meeting the terms of NCAA Bylaws 14.5.5.2.1, 14.5.5.2.2, 14.5.5.2.3, 14.5.5.2.4, 14.5.5.2.5, 14.5.5.2.6, 14.5.5.2.7, 14.5.5.2.8, 14.5.5.2.9 may seek a waiver for the provisions of this bylaw.

16 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Does Saban have it in him to not name or project a starter until Fall rolls around?   Thus perhaps preventing or delaying one of the two from leaving.

Oh, I'm sure he does, but that does NOT change the time frame.

Classes for 2018 begin Aug 22, first game is Sept. 1. Either one could transfer after they found out they weren't the starter and still be eligible for the 2019 season.

3 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Oh, I'm sure he does, but that does NOT change the time frame.

Classes for 2018 begin Aug 22, first game is Sept. 1. Either one could transfer after they found out they weren't the starter and still be eligible for the 2019 season.

ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.  Did not check into the timeline.

5 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

I was thinking about that on Tuesday. 

6 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

IMO no. He sees the writing on the wall.

Here's my wayyyyy too optimistic/early predictions.

• Texas at Maryland — W. Maryland lost A LOT of players, and I just don't see Texas losing against after the loss the previous year.
  • Tulsa at Texas — W. I know nothing of Tulsa, but shouldn't be much of a contest.
  • USC at Texas — W. This will be an exciting game, DKR will be rocking (a lot like the Notre Dame environment in 2016). SC lost some quality players, and I also give home field advantage to the Horns. 
  • TCU at Texas — W. Not sure how TCU will be next season, but for now I'm being positive and I think it's about time Texas beats TCU (finally)
  • Texas at Kansas State — L. This will be a trap game with the OU game the next weekend. I'm putting a loss on this one because my burnt orange signals tell me Texas can't go 5-0. Not yet they can't.
  • Texas vs. Oklahoma (Red River Showdown) — W. This game is never certain, but just because I'll be there and obviously want a win, I say W. Only time will tell with Kyler Murray though..
  • Baylor at Texas — W. Baylor still got a long way to go.
  • Texas at Oklahoma State — W. Mason Rudolph is gone, but OSU is still pretty solid. However, Texas is coming off of a bye that week and will be well rested.
  • West Virginia at Texas — L. Just because I think Texas slips up and Will Grier plays the whole game.
  • Texas at Texas Tech — W. Texas won't lose to Tech 2 years in a row. 2017 was a fluke. And Tech will probably be 5-4 at this point. Maybe 4-5.
  • Iowa State at Texas — W. I know nothing about Iowa State in 2018, but I think Texas carries momentum in the last 2 weeks and fighting for a New Year's Six bowl.
  • Texas at Kansas — W. I mean, c'mon easy win....... But wait.....:argh:

Final Record: 10-2

Obviously this is highly optimistic and to be honest, I'm not sure about some of these teams in 2018, and right now I don't really care to do research. That being said, a lot of these predictions are based on 2017 performances. However, I don't think 10-2 is unrealistic. From what it looks like to me, the Big 12 won't be all that competitive this year. Then again, who knows yet.

I do know from a Texas standpoint, the offense has a year under their belt, and the defense should be solid like 2017. I think 10-2 is the ceiling and very much possible, it just comes down to winning the big games. Losing games against good teams by 5 points or less should not happen in 2018. 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Here's my wayyyyy too optimistic/early predictions.

• Texas at Maryland — W. Maryland lost A LOT of players, and I just don't see Texas losing against after the loss the previous year.
  • Tulsa at Texas — W. I know nothing of Tulsa, but shouldn't be much of a contest.
  • USC at Texas — W. This will be an exciting game, DKR will be rocking (a lot like the Notre Dame environment in 2016). SC lost some quality players, and I also give home field advantage to the Horns. 
  • TCU at Texas — W. Not sure how TCU will be next season, but for now I'm being positive and I think it's about time Texas beats TCU (finally)
  • Texas at Kansas State — L. This will be a trap game with the OU game the next weekend. I'm putting a loss on this one because my burnt orange signals tell me Texas can't go 5-0. Not yet they can't.
  • Texas vs. Oklahoma (Red River Showdown) — W. This game is never certain, but just because I'll be there and obviously want a win, I say W. Only time will tell with Kyler Murray though..
  • Baylor at Texas — W. Baylor still got a long way to go.
  • Texas at Oklahoma State — W. Mason Rudolph is gone, but OSU is still pretty solid. However, Texas is coming off of a bye that week and will be well rested.
  • West Virginia at Texas — L. Just because I think Texas slips up and Will Grier plays the whole game.
  • Texas at Texas Tech — W. Texas won't lose to Tech 2 years in a row. 2017 was a fluke. And Tech will probably be 5-4 at this point. Maybe 4-5.
  • Iowa State at Texas — W. I know nothing about Iowa State in 2018, but I think Texas carries momentum in the last 2 weeks and fighting for a New Year's Six bowl.
  • Texas at Kansas — W. I mean, c'mon easy win....... But wait.....:argh:

Final Record: 10-2

Obviously this is highly optimistic and to be honest, I'm not sure about some of these teams in 2018, and right now I don't really care to do research. That being said, a lot of these predictions are based on 2017 performances. However, I don't think 10-2 is unrealistic. From what it looks like to me, the Big 12 won't be all that competitive this year. Then again, who knows yet.

I do know from a Texas standpoint, the offense has a year under their belt, and the defense should be solid like 2017. I think 10-2 is the ceiling and very much possible, it just comes down to winning the big games. Losing games against good teams by 5 points or less should not happen in 2018. 

That would be the ceiling I’d guess.  I expect 8-4 possibly 9-3.  I think the defense will be solid, maybe a small step back but still good enough.  If Texas can eliminate mistakes offensively and the OC get into the flow of the game better I could see 9 or 10 wins.  Texas 3 bad plays from 9-3 this year, with terrible playcalling.  I don’t think the OL can be worse next year.  That doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be worlds better, but that there’s not much room to get worse.  

• Mr. P locked this topic