Longhorns 2018 Thread

14 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Gotcha. I think Strong was decent in that he got rid of some of the kids who didn't want to play and kept around those who did. Sadly, he wasn't given enough time to really get the team going.... And maybe he just wasn't the right fit in the Big XII (same way Sumlin wasn't in the SEC). I dunno that Texas should pull the trigger on Herman yet, but he's definitely left a bit to be desired. Let's see what happens vs USC. 

I have to disagree with Strong not being given enough time. I would agree that it was going to take more than 3 years to turn the program back into a title contender again, but by year 3, you should at least see improvement from when you took over. And you absolutely cannot lose to Kansas. 

10 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Dont think they would do it because of bad press,  but the 2 best Coaches out there that they could possibly get would be- Urban Meyer (I think he's done with the OSU administration) or Art Briles....

Both are untouchable right now.  

Gary Patterson, James Franklin, Bryan Harsin, and mike Gundy would all be better choices than Briles imo.  Brides never put a decent defense on the field.  If I’m going strictly offensive minded coach I go after Mike Leach and hand select the DC for him.

Briles is toxic.

Dont see Franklin leaving Penn St.

Love Gary Patterson but just dont see him fitting at Texas.

Meyer is the interesting one. I think he will stay at Ohio St but if he does decide to leave Texas might be attractive to him. If Notre Dame comes calling I could see him in South Bend before Austin

I think Jim Harbaugh was one of the "dream candidates" 5 years ago. Probably good that he went to Mich instead.

6 minutes ago, thegreatbambino said:

How about Malzahn at Auburn? Think he said at one time Texas was a dream job for him.

Malzahn would kill it at Texas. He’s got plenty of offense for the big 12 but also appreciates defense enough that I think he would be the best fit they could have. 

14 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Art Briles has a new coaching gig. He is now coaching the Guelfi Firenze American football team in Florence Italy (no joke).

His mini me (son Kendall) did a heck of a job at Florida Atlantic last year and this year at Houston he has that offense revved up like his daddy used to do it. Not saying he is a candidate for Texas,  but he will get a shot somewhere soon. 

I'm not ready to toss Herman to the wayside...yet. But because we are on the topic...Mike Leach would be awesome IMO. If for no other reason that we would get to hear his press conferences way more often than up there in Washington. The rest of the country needs to know the greatness that is the Mike Leach personality.

58 minutes ago, TxFight said:

I'm not ready to toss Herman to the wayside...yet. But because we are on the topic...Mike Leach would be awesome IMO. If for no other reason that we would get to hear his press conferences way more often than up there in Washington. The rest of the country needs to know the greatness that is the Mike Leach personality.

A lot of the problem with this is mike leach doesn’t fit Texas. He wouldn’t give two craps about entertaining boosters or defense and that’s not something that will sit well with Texas faithful. But the guy is a genius. The big 12 doesn’t really focus on defense anyway, and with the talent that Leach could get at Texas, we would probably change the heisman to whoever is the Texas QB that year the stats would be so crazy: 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

A lot of the problem with this is mike leach doesn’t fit Texas. He wouldn’t give two craps about entertaining boosters or defense and that’s not something that will sit well with Texas faithful. But the guy is a genius. The big 12 doesn’t really focus on defense anyway, and with the talent that Leach could get at Texas, we would probably change the heisman to whoever is the Texas QB that year the stats would be so crazy: 

I don’t think he fits the “Texas” mold either...but it sure would be fun! But then again, the “Texas” mold is a .500 coach right now so maybe taking the plunge wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

The thing I love about Leach’s offense is he’s been doing it since OU in 2000 and it still works to this day. He just has a knack for knowing what a defense is going to try to do to stop him and going where they ain’t. And yes with the resources at Texas he could put together an offensive juggernaut.

• Mr. P locked this topic