Longhorns 2018 Thread

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Be a good team to get it against.

They prolly wouldn’t acknowledge it.  They don’t acknowledge the loss in the Rose Bowl citing that having to vacate all wins they vacate the loss.  Problem is they don’t realize that when you vacate a win it becomes a loss so instead of 13-1, they’re actually 0-14.

On 9/11/2018 at 4:31 PM, TxFight said:

I don’t think he fits the “Texas” mold either...but it sure would be fun! But then again, the “Texas” mold is a .500 coach right now so maybe taking the plunge wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

The thing I love about Leach’s offense is he’s been doing it since OU in 2000 and it still works to this day. He just has a knack for knowing what a defense is going to try to do to stop him and going where they ain’t. And yes with the resources at Texas he could put together an offensive juggernaut.

I think most people know what you get with Mike Leach personality wise.  I also don’t think he cares if he hurts somebody’s feelings.  I’d love him being at Texas.  I think your AD wouldn’t have much trouble talking him into a good DC either as Keavh knows the athletes he’d be pulling in at Texas

Got these stats from a reporter on Twitter. 

Sam Ehlinger 

Fourth quarter vs. Maryland: 9 of 17 for 72 yards and 2 INT (64.99 rating)

Other seven quarters this season: 33 for 49 for 428 yards, 4 TD and 0 INT (167.66 rating)

Im pretty excited for Saturday but I sure hope Sam leaves his INTs at his apartment.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, DB2point0 said:

I didn’t like Ehlinger last year.  He was so quick to run, now it appears he shies from it when necessary 

I don't think he is the answer for the Longhorns at QB ... he hesitates too much and is very inconsistent ... the Horns need a true dual threat QB ...

Ash was competent during his years for the most part. Hate that injuries derailed his career. Gilbert was a huge bust. But Gilbert also cost Texas several other talented guys who went on to stellar careers. Swoopes was a huge bust. Those 2 guys set the position back BIG TIME because of how many others went a different direction. 

51 minutes ago, TxFight said:

Ash was competent during his years for the most part. Hate that injuries derailed his career. Gilbert was a huge bust. But Gilbert also cost Texas several other talented guys who went on to stellar careers. Swoopes was a huge bust. Those 2 guys set the position back BIG TIME because of how many others went a different direction. 

If Mack hadn’t made a hairbrained decision to put one of the best high school spread qbs under center we wouldn’t be having this conversation.  Sure as a true sophomore who rec’d absolutely no meaningful game snaps in a wasted freshman season, Gilbert would’ve struggled in his first year as a starter.  But he knew the offense and everything that went with it.  Instead he had to learn something that he’d never done, turn his back to a defense and then read it.  That was stupid on Mack and imo the decision that set his downward spiral in motion, not Colt getting hurt.  For a freshman that hadn’t rec’d many reps he looked pretty good for the most part against Bama.  I can’t call him a bust because Texas tried to change everything about him and killed his confidence.

tyrone Swoopes.  He should’ve never been on the two deep until at least his redshirt junior year.  From all accounts he was a great kid, teammate he just needed grooming as a qb.  Raw isn’t the word to describe him.  I think Charlie Strong did the absolute best thing with him and created the 18 wheeler package since he knew his development stalled under Watson and Gilbert.  Small town kid got a great education.  He is the perfect reason why recruiting services shouldn’t be trusted so much.  Bust?  He shouldn’t have been rated so high coming out of HS imo.  The fact that he and Buechele were the only two viable options is more telling of the true problem than anything.  

RG3 and Andrew Luck are the two misses that stick out.  Others had flash in the pan moments but those two hurt.

1 hour ago, TxFight said:

Gilbert was a huge bust. But Gilbert also cost Texas several other talented guys who went on to stellar careers. Swoopes was a huge bust. Those 2 guys set the position back BIG TIME because of how many others went a different direction. 

Maaan so true. But you can't blame anyone for taking Gilbert. If you watched him play in HS, he was an absolute monster who set all sorts of records. Then again, it's easy when you're playing for a team loaded with money and talent, but still. The dude was unbelievable. I dunno how he did in mop-up time at Texas in 2009, but I wonder if Colt getting hurt and Gilbert being thrown in against Alabama messed with his head. After those few big hits/fumbles, he just wasn't the same even though he showed flashes of brilliance in that championship game. 

But yeah.... Manziel, Luck, RG3... Tough break that they all went to do big things while Gilbert never really could get it going. 

42 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Maaan so true. But you can't blame anyone for taking Gilbert. If you watched him play in HS, he was an absolute monster who set all sorts of records. Then again, it's easy when you're playing for a team loaded with money and talent, but still. The dude was unbelievable. I dunno how he did in mop-up time at Texas in 2009, but I wonder if Colt getting hurt and Gilbert being thrown in against Alabama messed with his head. After those few big hits/fumbles, he just wasn't the same even though he showed flashes of brilliance in that championship game. 

But yeah.... Manziel, Luck, RG3... Tough break that they all went to do big things while Gilbert never really could get it going. 

Changing the offense was the big factor.  

54 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't blame Texas in taking him in the slightest. Heck, he was the national player of the year. But he did not pan out for a variety of reasons. His lack of production killed the QB position and the program still hasn't recovered.

29 minutes ago, TxFight said:

I don't blame Texas in taking him in the slightest. Heck, he was the national player of the year. But he did not pan out for a variety of reasons. His lack of production killed the QB position and the program still hasn't recovered.

He fit exactly what Texas did offensively

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas didn’t miss on Luck. He was never going to Texas. 

Well yeah, he never got an offer. 

I think the idea that they "missed" on him came from this article that everyone touted back in the day: 

http://www.espn.com/colleges/texas/football/story/_/id/8722015/texas-longhorns-missing-elite-state-quarterback-prospects

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Man you guys really dislike Buechele, huh? 

Buechele isn't big enough, fast enough, mobile enough and doesn't have the arm ... he's a game manager type, at best ....

Edited by KirtFalcon

• Mr. P locked this topic