Longhorns 2018 Thread

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Brandon Jones is playing so good right now. It helps that Sterns has been so reliable as a true freshman. 

Im not sure what some of you guys expect from Boyd. Y’all probably don’t want to watch him vs OU and WVU. Lamb and Sills will be similar to Reagor. Today’s game is built for offense, lockdown CBs don’t exist anymore. He battled all game long and after half time only gave up 2 catches for 15 yds. 

This team still has to improve in a lot of areas. The offense has too many 3 & outs, the punter was ok in this game, and Dicker struggled greatly today. 

But dang it feels good to put 2 solid wins back to back. 

Yes it does! USC nor TCU are at the height of their powers right now, but they’re still two quality wins and UT is 1-0 in conference.

• Like 1

I’m not hating on Boyd, but he was beat quite a few times last night and last season as well. The only time he did good, was when he had safety help... other than that he was chasing down the WR and was able to get lucky with a hand. He bites on double moves too much in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, HJR7 said:

I’m not hating on Boyd, but he was beat quite a few times last night and last season as well. The only time he did good, was when he had safety help... other than that he was chasing down the WR and was able to get lucky with a hand. He bites on double moves too much in my opinion.

That’s not called getting lucky. That’s great CB play. Reagor is faster than Boyd and Reagor knows where he’s going on every play. Boyd’s job is to follow him and win the play. 

Boyd gave up 1 explosive play that he saved 4 points because he didn’t give up. He gave up a 1 yd TD on a back shoulder fade. 

Boyd broke up a TD pass with great hand technique on a fade route. He also broke up an explosive play by punching through the arms after the catch. 

I don’t think you or anyone is hating on Boyd, I just don’t think y’all have realistic expectations for him vs these WRs that are some of the best in the country. 

13 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Great win for the Horns! The defense is looking incredible and the offense is finally starting to click. Now to get rid of those stupid play calls such as the pitch out on 4th and 1. 

That, and Ehlinger needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of scrambling for 10 seconds trying to imitate Fran Tarkington and quit taking 8 yd sacks .... 2nd and long is getting old ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

That’s not called getting lucky. That’s great CB play. Reagor is faster than Boyd and Reagor knows where he’s going on every play. Boyd’s job is to follow him and win the play. 

Boyd gave up 1 explosive play that he saved 4 points because he didn’t give up. He gave up a 1 yd TD on a back shoulder fade. 

Boyd broke up a TD pass with great hand technique on a fade route. He also broke up an explosive play by punching through the arms after the catch. 

I don’t think you or anyone is hating on Boyd, I just don’t think y’all have realistic expectations for him vs these WRs that are some of the best in the country. 

His played has improved, and you can tell he is a leader on the team. I can see him drafted in rounds 2-3 as a slot CB, which could help him a ton rather than playing on the outside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Boyd and Davis look night and day difference now that they are no longer coached by maybe the worst DB coach in the game in Clay Jennings.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Great win for the Horns! The defense is looking incredible and the offense is finally starting to click. Now to get rid of those stupid play calls such as the pitch out on 4th and 1. 

That and checking down to the running back who is 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

Ehlinger is a good downhill runner——can run over people and sometimes even make guys sorta miss........but he has no quickness leaving the pocket and running towards the sideline——-bad things usually happen when he does

while I am screaming "THROW IT AWAY .... DON'T TAKE ANOTHER SACK"!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....... 

20 minutes ago, TxFight said:

This week is a huge 1 in my eyes for the 2018 version of the Longhorns. Really need to go into RRS at 4-1. Can't suffer a letdown after those 2 pretty solid wins. Can't falter in the big 12 standings. Etc etc, just a huge huge game.

Agreed, this is game that maturity and mental toughness is important. Texas is better than KST and should beat them. The team must go take care of business and beat a team that they should beat. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Agreed, this is game that maturity and mental toughness is important. Texas is better than KST and should beat them. The team must go take care of business and beat a team that they should beat. 

This was the type of games that have been so frustrating the last 4 years.  The talent difference was evident just didn’t play well or scheme well.  Texas should beat Kansas State by 2-3 TDs if they keep playing towards their potential.  I’d like to see this Texas team reach its full potential.  I’m still not a huge fan of Sam and his inaccuracy, but if the ground game can do it’s job then he’ll be able to manage some more wins.  He seems to perform better without the added pressure of no run game

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

This was the type of games that have been so frustrating the last 4 years.  The talent difference was evident just didn’t play well or scheme well.  Texas should beat Kansas State by 2-3 TDs if they keep playing towards their potential.  I’d like to see this Texas team reach its full potential.  I’m still not a huge fan of Sam and his inaccuracy, but if the ground game can do it’s job then he’ll be able to manage some more wins.  He seems to perform better without the added pressure of no run game

DB, the inaccuracy adds to the drama and intrigue in every throw. We aren’t sure it’ll hit its target. With Colt it was just so boring knowing each pass would be on the money. No suspense or anxiety with wondering what’d happen next.

Sam provides us with some nervous anxiousness every time he drops back to pass, makes it more exciting!  Hahaha!!!

You know I’m just kidding. Hopefully Sam begins to bore us with much improved pinpoint passes.

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

From what little I've seen from KState, their offense is pretty bad. I think their qb play is below average.

Yeah I thought they'd be better this year with a returning OL intact and a pretty good RB.  But like you said the QB play has been bad and the defense isn't very good either.  Snyder also called his team out after the game this past week.  They also have 2 new coordinators taking over for a couple of guys who had been on staff for a long time so I don't know if that's having an impact or not.  Texas "should" win this game, but they haven't won in Manhatten since 2002.  I'm preceding with caution on this one.

29 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Yeah I thought they'd be better this year with a returning OL intact and a pretty good RB.  But like you said the QB play has been bad and the defense isn't very good either.  Snyder also called his team out after the game this past week.  They also have 2 new coordinators taking over for a couple of guys who had been on staff for a long time so I don't know if that's having an impact or not.  Texas "should" win this game, but they haven't won in Manhatten since 2002.  I'm preceding with caution on this one.

Never underestimate the purple wizard! With that being said...

This is one of the worst Bill Snyder teams we've seen in a long time, that is according to what I'm reading and what I've watched of them this year. I'm preceding with caution as well, but even though Texas hasn't won in Manhatten since 2002, there's absolutely NO reason for them to not win this game by at least 2 scores.

• Mr. P locked this topic