4A Dist. 16 Boys & Girls Basketball

Crawford

17 hours ago, Roughrider78 said:

Carthage certainly had some home cooking in the first meeting against Center. They were still in football mode and only had 8 fouls the whole game. We played our worst game of the season and Carthage only managed to beat Center by 1.

carthage could have had their worst  football of the decade this past october and center would not have smelt a victory on center's  home field.  it is what champions do !!! 

• Thumbs Down 1

Let me explain what I said. I was NOT talking about football. I meant Carthage was playing basketball like it was a football game. They committed so many fouls that were not called. With only half of the 4th period left to go in the game, Carthage only had 5 fouls, 3 in the first half and 2 in the second half. Had the refs half way called the game right, half of the Carthage players would have fouled out. And still, they could only manage a 1 pt. win as badly as Center played. Last night showed a more exact representation of how much better Center is than Carthage in basketball.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bmoc said:

carthage could have had their worst  football of the decade this past october and center would not have smelt a victory on center's  home field.  it is what champions do !!! 

What does that have to do with the basketball game? You're obviously a sore loser. You get spanked in basketball, so you go back to football? C'mon man. Carthage has been blessed in being very successful in their football program, not that I needed to tell you that, but the first time Center has the opportunity to be successful in something, some folks seem to not be able to stand the thought of it. And will say anything to belittle it. But it's all good, it will make it that much more sweeter in the end knowing we did it even when some didn't want us to succeed or wouldn't support us. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crawford said:

What does that have to do with the basketball game? You're obviously a sore loser. You get spanked in basketball, so you go back to football? C'mon man. Carthage has been blessed in being very successful in their football program, not that I needed to tell you that, but the first time Center has the opportunity to be successful in something, some folks seem to not be able to stand the thought of it. And will say anything to belittle it. But it's all good, it will make it that much more sweeter in the end knowing we did it even when some didn't want us to succeed or wouldn't support us. 

I think most Carthage fans know Center is on another level in basketball.  I am hoping you guys make a deep run in the playoffs.  Good luck!

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Crawford said:

Your fellow poster from Center was belittling Carthage’s win the first game by saying the only reason Carthage won was the bad refs. 

• Thumbs Down 1

I stand by the fact that Center was mauled the whole game and the refs permitted it. How can you explain a Carthage player leapfrogging a Center player and landing on his head with no foul called? And that is only one instance of fouls not being called. I admit, Center did not play well, but if the game had been called half way right, Center would have won by double digits.

1 hour ago, Roughrider78 said:

I stand by the fact that Center was mauled the whole game and the refs permitted it. How can you explain a Carthage player leapfrogging a Center player and landing on his head with no foul called? And that is only one instance of fouls not being called. I admit, Center did not play well, but if the game had been called half way right, Center would have won by double digits.

Not their fault you ain't no good on the football court.....😈

I would be willing to bet you couldn't find 20 people in the whole town of Carthage that know Carthage's record in basketball. For the record I hope Center goes on to win a state championship in basketball. Great to see them having success. I will be reading and following them in the playoffs. But I don't think anybody from Carthage will get sore about losing in BB. Personally I could care less if they stopped playing. We don't have any "basketball" kids anyway. Carthage has football players who play a couple basketball games every year. A football coach coaches the basketball team.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I would be willing to bet you couldn't find 20 people in the whole town of Carthage that know Carthage's record in basketball. For the record I hope Center goes on to win a state championship in basketball. Great to see them having success. I will be reading and following them in the playoffs. But I don't think anybody from Carthage will get sore about losing in BB. Personally I could care less if they stopped playing. We don't have any "basketball" kids anyway. Carthage has football players who play a couple basketball games every year. A football coach coaches the basketball team.

With that many athletes walking the halls, they ought to get them a good basketball coach and get the program on an upswing. Bet they'd be a pretty solid program if they put in the work.  

26 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

With that many athletes walking the halls, they ought to get them a good basketball coach and get the program on an upswing. Bet they'd be a pretty solid program if they put in the work.  

Tough to compete when we don’t start practicing until Jan two months behind most everyone else.

Just now, DawgNation2015 said:

Tough to compete when we don’t start practicing until Jan two months behind most everyone else.

Nah....we were competing in bball at state tournament when we were going 4 or 5 rounds deep in football. There will be JV players and "strictly basketball" players there to play the schedule til the football players join up. It can be done. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Nah....we were competing in bball at state tournament when we were going 4 or 5 rounds deep in football. There will be JV players and "strictly basketball" players there to play the schedule til the football players join up. It can be done. 

I’d be willing to bet greater than 90% of the JV and Varsity basketball players this year played on the SC football team.  Plus the Head Coach is the D-line coach on varsity.

• Thumbs Down 1

Carthage didn’t play a ninth jv or varsity game until football was over.  The entire freshman basketball team got moved up in football.  I am impressed with the dawgs ability in putting a good solid team on the court.  It’s really hard when every player in the program has to spend most of district getting into basketball shape.

5 hours ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

Carthage didn’t play a ninth jv or varsity game until football was over.  The entire freshman basketball team got moved up in football.  I am impressed with the dawgs ability in putting a good solid team on the court.  It’s really hard when every player in the program has to spend most of district getting into basketball shape.

Exactly. Let me say it again. The basketball coach is a football coach. That is what Surratt and most of the rest of the town think about basketball. There are no "strictly basketball" kids like there are in Tatum. If the kids want to play after football, great. It's great for our football and baseball players to play basketball. It works on another skill set for athletes. 

I don't think this is a debate about if Carthage could be good or not. I think it's apparent that nobody really cares. My original post was to show that Carthage posters supported Center and were happy they are having success. And also that I don't think anybody in Carthage would ever be butt hurt about losing a basketball game. And if they are, then they shouldn't be.