Official SDC 2018 NCAA Football Off-season Thread

Coach Rab

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

This is a reporting organization putting their name on it though.  While I do disagree with the political side of espn they are the leader in sports reporting and were reporting it with their name stamped on it.  The reporter even used his name and wasn’t listed as a source in a heresay matter. 

Yes anybody can make claims, you and I can, but we’re just Ole DB and Wetsu the fanboys who don’t cover this stuff for a living.

I see what you’re saying about ESPN tying themselves to that claim, but that’s not saying much. There’s tons of stories that ESPN and other sites have made claims that turned out to be false or didn’t happen the way it was played out in an article. My point is we took the word of one man with no proof, and turned it into a two month long investigation in which absolutely nothing was found, and then everyone outside of a few Aggies believe the “rumor.” I’m just saying that an investigation was held, and actual evidence was never found. Johnny was then punished for something that couldn’t be proven, and the entire college football world believed a story that has no credible eveidence to it. It’s just an extremely poor example of what our journalism and society has turned into. Reporters “want” to find stories like this. Fans “want” to believe the stories even if no evidence is provided. The governing bodies “feel obligated” to do something even if sufficient evidence isnt provided simply because the fans/people of this society believe something should happen even if it shouldn’t. This is a non story that ended up being a dark cloud over Johnny’s tenure at A&M that should have never been there. Did Johnny become a huge knucklehead? Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean we as a society should just believe nonsense rumors with no proof simply because we “want” them to be true. I’m not directing this at you in particular DB, just saying this isn’t the way that entire situation should have been looked at as a whole. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I see what you’re saying about ESPN tying themselves to that claim, but that’s not saying much. There’s tons of stories that ESPN and other sites have made claims that turned out to be false or didn’t happen the way it was played out in an article. My point is we took the word of one man with no proof, and turned it into a two month long investigation in which absolutely nothing was found, and then everyone outside of a few Aggies believe the “rumor.” I’m just saying that an investigation was held, and actual evidence was never found. Johnny was then punished for something that couldn’t be proven, and the entire college football world believed a story that has no credible eveidence to it. It’s just an extremely poor example of what our journalism and society has turned into. Reporters “want” to find stories like this. Fans “want” to believe the stories even if no evidence is provided. The governing bodies “feel obligated” to do something even if sufficient evidence isnt provided simply because the fans/people of this society believe something should happen even if it shouldn’t. This is a non story that ended up being a dark cloud over Johnny’s tenure at A&M that should have never been there. Did Johnny become a huge knucklehead? Absolutely. But that doesn’t mean we as a society should just believe nonsense rumors with no proof simply because we “want” them to be true. I’m not directing this at you in particular DB, just saying this isn’t the way that entire situation should have been looked at as a whole. 

I think we can chill on the "Johnny got punished" when he sat out a half against the mighty Rice Owls. The half-game suspension was the Aggies giving themselves their own consequences much like teams do often to show the NCAA that they'll take care of it in house. Let's not forget that Manziel didn't even finish the game because he ran his mouth and acted like a fool on the field. Of course Sumlin says he didn't see Johnny make the gesture of signing autographs toward a Rice player, but I don't believe him. I don't have proof except that I think he's a weasel. Manziel was later benched due to an unsportsmanlike penalty when he taunted one of those mighty Rice Owl players.

I agree with you WETSU that there was no pure evidence, but it sure was shady. Players sign a lot of autos while in college. I'm not sure how many of them sign a pile of photos in a motel/hotel room though. And then you see the pictures with Johnny showing wads of cash... but of course that was played off because he came from a family with money. He was one heck of a competitor with tons of natural athletic ability, but he was also a very arrogant frat boy that loved to party. 

18 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I think we can chill on the "Johnny got punished" when he sat out a half against the mighty Rice Owls. The half-game suspension was the Aggies giving themselves their own consequences much like teams do often to show the NCAA that they'll take care of it in house. Let's not forget that Manziel didn't even finish the game because he ran his mouth and acted like a fool on the field. Of course Sumlin says he didn't see Johnny make the gesture of signing autographs toward a Rice player, but I don't believe him. I don't have proof except that I think he's a weasel. Manziel was later benched due to an unsportsmanlike penalty when he taunted one of those mighty Rice Owl players.

I agree with you WETSU that there was no pure evidence, but it sure was shady. Players sign a lot of autos while in college. I'm not sure how many of them sign a pile of photos in a motel/hotel room though. And then you see the pictures with Johnny showing wads of cash... but of course that was played off because he came from a family with money. He was one heck of a competitor with tons of natural athletic ability, but he was also a very arrogant frat boy that loved to party. 

Another line in the long list of failures that was named the "Kevin Sumlin experiment."

43 minutes ago, AKA said:

1.) SEC Champ

2.) Clemson

3.) SEC runner-up

4.) Ohio State

1) Alabama-  No one in the SEC should challenge them this year except possibly UGA in the SEC Championship.  2018-19 will be a 2 team conference...
2) Clemson- Florida St is the only ACC school positioned in talent to knock them off, but they won't.  Miami will be in the mix in 19-20.
3) Big 10 winner- Which will be Ohio St or Penn St.  Wisconsin will have a similar season to 17-18 but fall short.
4) Oklahoma- this is a sneaky pick with some of the talent they lose (especially QB), but if they can win what they are supposed to and not slip up against Texas or fall apart on offense against WVU (my 2nd place team in the B12 next year) then they will go undefeated.  Army and UCLA will look like good wins on paper, but that is about as far as that will go.

3 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Dewayne Haskins should be the favoite but Tate Martell probably sees action in a package type deal and change of pace. 

For some odd reason I can't trust Martell, something strange about that kid and his handlers. After the whole recruitment fiasco I forgot he was in Columbus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lion70 said:

He kinda of a wild card imo. He undersized but definitely athletic. More like Johnny Manziel . Very cocky through . He absolutely needs to be on the field as a dangerous weapon. I don't trust him as qb kinda like Kyler Murray at Ou. If they have a dominant oline and running game that takes pressure off then both qb can succeed. 

More athletic than Shea Patterson??  Just asking, no feeling either way. 

34 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Maybe not but he is kinda fast maybe more like Murray. His attitude seems like Josh Rosen but that just an opinion. A&M seems to have avoided some problem. I don't trust his leadership. I really realize I maybe being harsh but just an observation. 

Wasn’t he part of #gigemgang and QBU?

12 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Booger McFarland criticizes Matt Canada for LSU stint https://t.co/lWlf8BGw0j https://t.co/nUt0Umzwsr

I liked Canada's offense.  I think Ed O limited the offense some and it bit them in the #$#@ against Troy... The problem with Canada was "it is my offense and we do it my way."  That is where the problem really happened.  I can argue for both sides in this one, but one thing Ed O said is true, he is the Head Coach, and they should let him do things his way... even if its bad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

For some odd reason I can't trust Martell, something strange about that kid and his handlers. After the whole recruitment fiasco I forgot he was in Columbus. 

I know a lot of people dog Martell, but that kid can ball. It's going to be tough for him to get that job at OSU because there is some good competition there, but he is good. He's fast, elusive, good arm. Only thing is his size, if you want to even say that's a problem. He's very Baker-esque.

Honestly, he would have done well at A&M. They hate him now and I get it, but he would have been a good fit there in my opinion.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I know a lot of people dog Martell, but that kid can ball. It's going to be tough for him to get that job at OSU because there is some good competition there, but he is good. He's fast, elusive, good arm. Only thing is his size, if you want to even say that's a problem. He's very Baker-esque.

Honestly, he would have done well at A&M. They hate him now and I get it, but he would have been a good fit there in my opinion.

Baker has 3 inches and 30 pounds on Martell I’d bet. I saw martell in person and I’d be shocked if he’s taller than 5’9.5. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Baker has 3 inches and 30 pounds on Martell I’d bet. I saw martell in person and I’d be shocked if he’s taller than 5’9.5. 

Yeah height wise Baker is taller for sure, I think both of their games are very similar.

38 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Yeah height wise Baker is taller for sure, I think both of their games are very similar.

I agree. Martell's footwork is sloppy and he's got a hitch in his delivery, but he reminds me a lot of Mayfield. Seems like a cocky #### too.  😋

2 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Honestly I could be wrong here but seems like Kyler Murray  without the dad.

He's got an attitude to him I can't deny that, and I think some of it might come from his dad. I've watched some QB shows he's in and you can kinda tell from that.

19 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Yeah then a coach did something and a couple decommits happened. Aggies not losing sleep, they actually better off without him. 

Primadonna runt that’ll prolly never pan out.  They’ll be better off without him

aTm played at SFA in men’s basketball a few years back.  I went to that game.  I think you’ll see it in basketball and baseball now some, but never in football.  Didn’t aTm move the LaTech game to shreveport due to the hurricane or am I not remembering that right? Wasn’t that supposed to be a home game for the Aggies?  

For the most part, the bigger schools call the shots because the smaller schools need the “butt whooping money” to help their athletic budget.  You’ll never see the Aggies at Homer Bryce, but you might at Johnson Coliseum 

Funny thing I read a while back....  Boise St always bowed up and stated they’d play anybody and anywhere.  Nebraska offered them something like $1.5m for a 3 game series, 2 in Lincoln and 1 in Boise.  Boise declined the opportunity for $1.5m, a big name program for a Hone game, and the opportunity to boost their SOS.

correction.... no money offered by Nebraska .  Boise wanted 1-1 series and $1m

33 minutes ago, Lion70 said:

Got a dumb questions . 

Ok when teams play other schools why do some teams play the following year and others have a longer return date ex: A&M played UcLa two years in a row and Texas plays usc in back to back years. 

Also is it always the big school gets a home game when playing a smaller school do different sports matter. I remember Texas state hosting Texas tech and A&M played in Shreveport. Is $$  the sole reason or could a small school like sfa ever call a big school like Texas to come play in Nac. Does the sport matter?

To answer your question, the big schools pay for those games. Like let’s say A&M plays UCLA in a home and home. A&M doesn’t pay anything and UCLA doesn’t pay anything. When A&M schedules Sam houston or something to a home game for only A&M, they usually pay Sam a million or two to come play the game. That’s truthfully the only way the majority of smaller schools even field teams, is they schedule 3-4 tough games against big opponents and get paid for those games and that helps keep the lights on for them during conference play when there might be just a few thousand people at a game.