'Roseanne' Ratings Climb, Hit 25 Million Viewers With Time-Shifting Record

The comedy's first telecast after a 20-year break also hits an obscene 7.3 rating in the key demo.

Roseanne's ratings riches keep climbing, hitting a record haul for Nielsen's live-plus-3 ratings growth.

The new totals for the Mar. 27 premiere have the ABC comedy totaling 25 million viewers and a massive 7.3 rating among adults 18-49. Looking at just the audience, the 6.6 million viewer add-on from the premiere night is a time-shifting record. And that doesn't even include the additional 4.3 million viewers who tuned into an encore telecast on Sunday night — or the growth it will see from Hulu and ABC streaming.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:27 PM, WestHardinfan1 said:

Follow her on Twitter......she’s 100% MAGA......

Maybe I had her confused with her twin sister Rosie O'Donnell.   I thought she was pro-left, but she is a Green Party member that supports Trump now.  

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to 📺 Liberal activism destroying sports, entertainment
  • 2 weeks later...

Former cast member thinks SNL is 'ruining the joke'

Comedian Rob Schneider burst out on the scene on "Saturday Night Live" in the 1990s, but nearly three decades later, he thinks the hit NBC comedy series is bursting the punchline when it comes to the Trump White House.

The 54-year-old San Francisco native, who was part of the show's now-legendary cast that included Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Chris Rock, David Spade and Adam Sandler, says the show today is no different in some ways — yet when it comes to politics, they are too obviously "showing their hand" by consistently bashing President Trump and Republicans.

"The fun of 'Saturday Night Live' was always you never knew which way they leaned politically," he told the Daily News. "You kind of assumed they would lean more left and liberal, but now the cat's out of the bag they are completely against Trump, which I think makes it less interesting because you know the direction the piece is going."

Schneider — the star of Netflix's "Real Rob," which is streaming now — compares Alec Baldwin's visceral portrayal of Trump to that of Carvey, who impersonated President George H.W. Bush on the show more than 30 times between 1987 and 2000.

"Carvey played it respectfully," Schneider said. "To me, the genius of Dana Carvey was Dana always had empathy for the people he played, and Alec Baldwin has nothing but a fuming, seething anger toward the person he plays."

Schneider said Baldwin is "hard to watch" as Trump because his political slant is obvious by a quick glimpse at his Twitter account.

"Alec Baldwin is a brilliant actor… he's not a comedian," Schneider flatly shared.

"I don't find his impression to be comical," he added. "Because, like I said, I know the way his politics lean and it spoils any surprise. There's no possible surprise. He so clearly hates the man he's playing."

. . . 

A Democrat for most of his life, Schneider recently switched to being an Independent. He confronts a shifting political climate as he regularly performs stand-up, including upcoming gigs in Portland, Ore., Jacksonville, Fla., and Nashville, Tenn. He enjoys finding humor in making fun of liberals so they can find the "hypocrisy" in their actions — something Schneider says has become increasingly difficult in today's "PC" culture.

"Literally if you don't go the party line — you're out. There's a real ugliness to it," he explained.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:06 PM, MavGrad99 said:

ESPN has done so many good things... all bowls are viewable, they brought major tennis to viewable TV (not HBO), the conference networks... then they start merging in with GMA ppl and catering to all things political... NOTHING was political before Disney took over...

Tennis? Are you serious? The only money I’ve spent on tennis is for a can of balls to throw for my dachsund to fetch...😏🎾

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Tennis? Are you serious? The only money I’ve spent on tennis is for a can of balls to throw for my dachsund to fetch...😏🎾

Wimbledon used to be HBO only forever, until ESPN bought out the contract.  I am not sure where you used to be able to watch the Australian and French Open before ESPN took over either.  But no idea how or why you went back to 2 years ago to bring this post back from the dead :lol: 

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Wimbledon used to be HBO only forever, until ESPN bought out the contract.  I am not sure where you used to be able to watch the Australian and French Open before ESPN took over either.  But no idea how or why you went back to 2 years ago to bring this post back from the dead :lol: 

You WATCH tennis??? :sleep:

• LOL! 1

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I didn’t check the date... just responding about my dislike of tennis... ‘bout as much as soccer..😜

30 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

You WATCH tennis??? :sleep:

I watch the Grand Slam events (week 2) and FIFA World Cup (and qualifiers) and sometimes golf too...  All of those are on an equal level of watching cars make left turns over and over again on a 2 mile track :lol: 

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I watch the Grand Slam events (week 2) and FIFA World Cup (and qualifiers) and sometimes golf too...  All of those are on an equal level of watching cars make left turns over and over again on a 2 mile track :lol: 

:toughguy:

36 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

:toughguy:

Uh, ESPN also shows poker and the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Neither of which is a "sport". Of course, ESPN is supposed to stand  for "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network". Though I hardly find a spelling bee entertaining.

7 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Never cared for the first show; Ain’t about to tune in for the redux..🙄

I've never watched it.  I just didn't like her for grabbing her crotch after botching the National Anthem :  

.  Now I'm reading that her ratings are falling, and her stupid show is no longer number 1 :  https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/05/02/tv-ratings-roseanne-loses-to-ncis-in-total-viewers-drops-26-percent-in-key-demo/23425512/ .  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making movies for the audience Hollywood ignored

Dallas Sonnier’s company, Cinestate , which made “Brawl,” is backed by an anonymous Texas oil heiress, he says, to produce “populist entertainment.”

The 38-year-old former talent manager, who got his start working with actor and director Greta Gerwig, now finds himself navigating culture, commerce and politics in trying to answer a question facing Hollywood: Where does entertainment go in the Trump era? The industry has responded to that question largely by using platforms such as the Academy Awards to rail against the Trump administration. That has alienated many moviegoers, and today those are the people Mr. Sonnier has in mind.

“If we can make a movie that does not treat them as losers, or ask how dare they vote a certain way, or pander to them, naturally they’re going to respond in a positive way,” says Mr. Sonnier.

Since fleeing Los Angeles in 2015 for Texas, where he grew up, Mr. Sonnier has cast himself as the producer willing to do features that others in Hollywood consider politically radioactive. In the past year, he has wrapped production on “Dragged Across Concrete,” starring Mel Gibson as a cop accused of beating a suspect, filmed a drama about militia members, and bought a script about a school shooting in which a female student wrests control of a gun and fights back.

Mr. Sonnier’s revenues from a film are a tiny fraction of those from a major studio release, but he is making money off his strategy by keeping production costs low and relying on word-of-mouth to turn his movies into sleeper hits.

Hollywood has occasionally targeted conservative moviegoers, releasing faith-based movies in specific neighborhoods or producing patriotic blockbusters such as “American Sniper.” The difference is that Mr. Sonnier is betting a whole company on a strategy of finding consumers he says are “outside the coasts,” marrying ideology with opportunism.

“The political climate brings a spotlight to these kinds of movies. We’re not shying away from that,” Mr. Sonnier says. “It’s funny that, in this moment in time, the movies we’re making are almost counterculture.”

So let me get this straight...  if you make movies that appeal to large numbers of people, you make money? What a concept! 

Nah...  it'll never catch on.  🙄

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to Gladys Knight slammed for singing the National Anthem