10 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

So, you are on board with racist, homophobic slurs? 

It's comedy, and one of the things about comedy is you cross those lines to build a common ground between people.  That's what you fail to understand.  We understand how stupid that racism is through comedy.  This would not be allowed on SNL today :  

I miss Richard Pryor, but as with Dave Chappelle he has been called out in recent days in regards to his pointing out the stupidity of racism.  I would love to hear what Dick Gregory had to say about this as well.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AKA said:

The original SNL cast would've been fired by the current leadership. 

Garrett Morris would have been fired for sure with his Chico Escuela and News for the Hard of Hearing.  They would as would have Eddie Murphy with his insults to the late great Billie "Buckwheat" Thomas.  That's how PC is ruining everything.  People today take things way too serious.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AKA said:

It's been a steady decline since they fired Norm Macdonald.

I haven't watched it in over a decade.  I used to watch it religiously on Saturday nights from 1975 to 1999.  I will admit in the 70's that sometimes I couldn't stay awake to watch the entire episode.  I still remember making popcorn in a pan with butter not oil, and putting it in the brown shopping bags any leftover was breakfast the next morning.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/long-island-high-school-football-coach-suspended-for-running-up-the-score-against-previously-undefeated-foe/ar-AAJG8XH?li=BBnba9I

This sounds like a district that Barry would love to coach in. LOL 

A high school football coach on Long Island, N.Y., has landed a suspension for allegedly running up the score on an opponent.

Plainedge (N.Y.) High School head football coach Rob Shaver was handed a one-game ban for his team's 61-13 blowout victory against South Shore (N.Y.) High. The score was in violation of a "lopsided scores policy" for schools in Nassau County, which includes Plainedge, per the New York Post.

Yet while the final score represented a genuine blowout, the matchup didn't set up to be nearly so one-sided. As noted by the Post, both teams entered the game undefeated, and while Plainedge entered the fourth quarter with a five-possession lead, that kind of an edge is not universally insurmountable in high school football. Extremely unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Not quite.

Still, the lead, combined with Plainedge's decision to continue playing starters and regulars, ran afoul of the sensibilities of the Nassau County lopsided score committee, which came down against a coach for the first time in the three seasons since the rule was unveiled.

That penalty came despite support for Shaver from no other than the vanquished head coach of South Shore, Phil Onesto.

"I had no issue with how the game went," Onesto told Newsday. "I had spoken to coach Shaver, I told him I had no issues."

That sentiment in turn has encouraged Shaver to speak out about the perceived injustice himself. In comments to Newsday, Shaver offered support for the lopsided scores policy, he just felt it was misapplied in this case.

"The spirit of the rule is to prevent better teams from running up on lesser programs and sportsmanship and dignity and all that stuff," Shaver told Newsday. "I get it. That didn't happen."

Shaver will miss Plainedge's game at Lynbrook on Saturday afternoon to serve out his suspension, barring a last minute appeal. The Red Devils enter the game a perfect 7-0 while Lynbrook is 4-3.

I consider myself to be a 'liberal', but I can't see a game like that being considered a blow out or see the need to sanction the coach for his actions. I do think that to continue to play your starters in a game already won in the 4th quarter can be counterproductive or even dumb, especially if someone is injured, and it isn't good sportsmanship, more than likely. There are run rules in baseball and softball in Texas, and most places I have been will run the clock in some sub varsity situations, even being slow to stop it in some varsity games. I don't think it's 'liberal' to guard against demoralizing, unnecessary beat downs, in some cases. Depends on who my school is going against! 😁

As a coach, I would think you would want to get your other guys some reps, some experience, for when you might need them, if you have them. It doesn't talk about depth in this article. 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

I consider myself to be a 'liberal', but I can't see a game like that being considered a blow out or see the need to sanction the coach for his actions. I do think that to continue to play your starters in a game already won in the 4th quarter can be counterproductive or even dumb, especially if someone is injured, and it isn't good sportsmanship, more than likely. There are run rules in baseball and softball in Texas, and most places I have been will run the clock in some sub varsity situations, even being slow to stop it in some varsity games. I don't think it's 'liberal' to guard against demoralizing, unnecessary beat downs, in some cases. Depends on who my school is going against! 😁

As a coach, I would think you would want to get your other guys some reps, some experience, for when you might need them, if you have them. It doesn't talk about depth in this article. 

I will actually agree with  you on many of these points. As a head coach, I always wanted to get everyone as much experience as I could. So every blowout that I participated in usually meant everyone got to play, a lot. (BTW-I was on the wrong side of a lot of those blowouts). In Colorado, if  you are getting the heck beat out of you at halftime, the second half is a running clock, in football. I also know that in Texas, we have run rules for baseball & softball, which is a good thing. Not sure, but doesn't 6 man football have a "score rule" for halftime also?  

25 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Six man games can end at the half, if one team is up by 45 or immediately in the 2nd half when one team gets up by 45. 

Been on both sides of the blow out, and one side is a lot more fun, for danged sure! 😀

True on that last line, True. 😀

7 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I will actually agree with  you on many of these points. As a head coach, I always wanted to get everyone as much experience as I could. So every blowout that I participated in usually meant everyone got to play, a lot. (BTW-I was on the wrong side of a lot of those blowouts). In Colorado, if  you are getting the heck beat out of you at halftime, the second half is a running clock, in football. I also know that in Texas, we have run rules for baseball & softball, which is a good thing. Not sure, but doesn't 6 man football have a "score rule" for halftime also?  

I agree with you somewhat, and if the game becomes one with only a two possession lead then put the starters back in.  It was brought up in the last few days that on a professional level and college level that might not be a good idea.  See Oilers vs. Bills and N.C. State vs. Houston when they slowed the clock down.  They should have kept going strong in a playoff game.  It's just  on my mind recently. In football that doesn't matter as was the case that was brought up the other day that was a true disservice to the coach who was playing third and fourth stringers that was fired for even them scoring at will.  I don't know about today, but I know in the past getting blown out by a better  opponent never hurt me as a player.  It just made me want to work harder to never let it happen again.  

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/06/go-ahead-make-a-martyr-out-of-michael-che/

Che’s already something of a pest to comedy critics, with a history of mocking complaints about allegedly harmful bits. He also defended Louis C.K.’s comeback. The guy is clearly not interested in moderating his act. With two high-profile controversies in two weeks—and an apparent eagerness to fight back—Che’s the man to watch.

Here’s exactly how this is going to go. Che, like any comedian worth his salt, will continue relishing the backlash. Needling sensitive keyboard warriors will become a regular schtick. The doubling down will become tripling down and quadrupling down. It will be good for his career. It will be good for “SNL,” which could seriously use some sparks of excitement.

And it’s all because most people do not accept the boundaries applied to comedy by its serial scolds, who enjoy outsize influence over culture thanks to streams of legitimizing media coverage. Che will thus be elevated to Comedy Martyr status, branded a Chappelleian resistor helping save humor from the haters.

To be perfectly clear: I don't watch Saturday Night Live. After watching some clips of Michael Che's performances, I don't find him very funny. It goes without saying that our politics likely do not line up

However, I defend Michael Che's right to say whatever he wants to get a laugh. THAT is the only rule of comedy: someone has to find it funny. The nature of comedy itself is to be over the line. The role of a comedian itself comes from the ancient tradition court jesters, who were the only people in the kingdom who could say anything to a monarch's face without fear of reprisal because they were considered "fools." 

I never heard of the guy before the SNL flareup.  I used to watch SNL religiously from it's 1st season to around 2000.  Then their humor started slipping.  It wasn't cutting edge, and that's what you need for comedy to work.  I know they've made fun of every President from Richard Nixon forward except BHO which they had kid gloves with him from excerpts I've seen and read about.  I know they have Alec Baldwin doing his impression of President Trump now, and I've heard it's back to lambasting the President as they did with all the others, but SNL just needs to fade away if they  can't bring viewers as they used to.  I know I sort of quit from 1984-1990, because that cast was terrible and those were my dating years.  I didn't even video tape them after watching  a couple of episodes from each season.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I never heard of the guy before the SNL flareup.  I used to watch SNL religiously from it's 1st season to around 2000.  Then their humor started slipping.  It wasn't cutting edge, and that's what you need for comedy to work.  I know they've made fun of every President from Richard Nixon forward except BHO which they had kid gloves with him from excerpts I've seen and read about.  I know they have Alec Baldwin doing his impression of President Trump now, and I've heard it's back to lambasting the President as they did with all the others, but SNL just needs to fade away if they  can't bring viewers as they used to.  I know I sort of quit from 1984-1990, because that cast was terrible and those were my dating years.  I didn't even video tape them after watching  a couple of episodes from each season.  

I don’t check it out nearly as much as I did years ago, but still watch it from Time to time. Che is a dry type of comic; subliminal with his humor. I get him!😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

13 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I don’t check it out nearly as much as I did years ago, but still watch it from Time to time. Che is a dry type of comic; subliminal with his humor. I get him!😂

My parents were fans from the original cast, and I can remember watching it during the Eddie Murphy/Joe Piscopo years. Eddie Murphy remains one of my favorite comedians, and I'll still occasionally listen to his classic routines. Inappropriate, vulgar, and wildly un-PC as they are. Dave's totally right though...  other than the couple years of Murphy/Piscopo, most of the early to mid '80s years were pretty bad.  

But I really became a fan in the mid-to-late '80s with the legendary cast of Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Jan Hooks, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon, Nora Dunn and Victoria Jackson. I think the series peaked in the early '90s when they rounded out the cast with guys like Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, David Spade, and Julia Sweeney. So much range and talent. 

If you watch classic episodes there's a sense of "no prisoners" in the sketch. Everyone and everything is fair game. Kooks of all stripes are lampooned. Right wing, left wing. Fringe weirdos and ordinary folks. No one is a protected class and there are no safe spaces. They hit Clinton and Carter just as hard as they hit Reagan and the Bushes. It was unmerciful and hilarious. 

The humor changed in the mid-to-late '00s. Around 2008-2009 to be exact. A pronounced tilt in one direction occurred.

I think the last truly great SNL skit was the one they did following the 2016 election: