On 12/7/2016 at 5:37 PM, stoneykelly said:

I watch sports for sports, not for the social conscience. That's what the SDC political forum is for.

Exactly, they are oil and water.  Nobody discusses politics at a sporting event.  It's about the plays and what the refs got wrong.  Disney is shot itself in the foot, and it's starting to get gangrene.  

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

My suggestion would be to set up a whole new league with players being required to be christians and take and follow an oath of allegiance, and cannot be a member of any liberal group  in order to participate.   

So much for American values, like freedom of religion and such.

I don't care if they're hoodlums or preachers. That's not why I watch. They are entertainers. They have world-class athletic talent. THAT is why I watch them. I don't care if they're Republican, Democrat, Atheist, Muslim, or Martian. That's not why I watch football. Tim Tebow was working as a missionary in the offseason. Ray Lewis allegedly killed a guy. Troy Aikman was probably gay. Dan Marino was an arrogant jerk. I. DON'T. CARE. It's entertainment! Who in the hell do these guys think they are? Matt Damon talking about sexual harrassment and Jimmy Kimmel lecturing me on healthcare. Yawn. Shut up and entertain me!

If Colin Kaepernick was running for office I'd care about his views on politics, just like if Mike Pence was the Dolphins' starting halfback I'd care about his 40 time. I don't watch CNN for their insight on the Oklahoma-Georgia matchup, and I don't watch ESPN to find out why Donald Trump is Hitler.

4 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

According to ratings, you are in the minority........

No doubt. :D And that's the thing...  guys like me are the exception not the rule. 

Break down the demographics of who buys the most merchandise, season tickets, cable/pay-per-view subscriptions, etc...  I'm pretty sure it's gonna skew white, upper middle-class and moderate-to-conservative politically. Telling this demographic that they're all a buncha racist homophobes is a sure fire way to encourage them to spend their money elsewhere. 

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I don't want any Muslims or America haters in the new league, it would be a private company so the employer has the right to restrict. Matthias, you need to learn our laws...employees have no right of freedom of speech when they work for an employer and are on the clock.  

Well acquainted with the law, thanks, I was expressing a preference. I work for the State of Texas. I know my rights.

My point is that taking socio-political positions is just bad business, especially when most of you audience does not mirror those views. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

KaeperPUNK and other radical players had NO right to drag the NFL into the police shooting black people issue. It wasn't the NFL's fault that people get shot by police.  Those players just wanted to use the NFL as their free platform to force their beliefs on the audiences.  

They had every right. That's what makes America awesome. Anyone can say whatever they want...  but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence

They have the right to spout off however they want. NFL owners have the right to not hire them. You and I have the right to not watch their games. It's very simple. 

Just now, trueblue32 said:

That's Bullsheit Matthias, they don't have a right to force their views on audiences or misuse the platform.  No worker has a right to drag their politics into an unoffending workplace.  You are not getting my point dude.  Now,  your state of texas office would not allow some employee bringing politics into the workplace and you know it.  

Yes, it seems we're talking past each other.

Having the right to do something means that the government cannot suppress it. Kaepernick is not under federal charges for speaking out against police shootings. However, he is experiencing consequences of his action from NFL teams, which are private businesses. 

So yes, he has the right to speak out. But that doesn't mean that an NFL team has to hire him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Isn’t the college football playoff facing the same structural issues as the NFL? If a decline in overall television viewing is to blame, shouldn’t it be to blame for both football playoffs? If cord cutting is an issue shouldn’t the college football playoff be even more impacted since ESPN is losing over 10,000 subscribers every day and the game airs on cable as opposed to traditional broadcast television which carries the NFL playoffs? Yet the college football playoff ratings surged while the NFL’s games, which are available for free on broadcast television, plummeted.

If people are paying more attention to political news and watching it on television more, which I think they doubtless are, shouldn’t that change in viewership impact college and the NFL playoffs similarly?

But isn't it just because the NFL game is more boring? Maybe, maybe not...

Now the NFL apologists can point to the playoff match ups not being very sexy, but all four wild card games were actually pretty competitive. It’s not like we had four massive blow outs; in fact, it was the exact opposite — all four games weren’t completely decided until the final five minutes, and three of the games went down to the final minute of the fourth quarter. What’s more, Atlanta and Los Angeles are two of the biggest television markets in the country and Cam Newton and Drew Brees, playing a highly competitive and exciting game in the premier time slot head-to-head, are two of the biggest stars in the league.

Concussions. Cord-cutting. Yeah sure, these things are impacting football overall...  yet the college game doesn't appear to be suffering in the ratings.

What's going on in the NFL that isn't happening in the college game?

Hmm...  

I swear to you, I have not watched 1 single NFL game this season because of several factors.  #1 the anthem protests... which is as much me boycotting the networks that choose to show it as much as I am the NFL... and #2...  I hate the Dallas Cowboys, I really really do... but they suspended an innocent (by the court and law system of the USA) player because of an accusation...  They suspended Adrian Peterson for disciplining his child (maybe not properly, but that's not for us to judge)...  They discipline just to discipline and it has made me hate the pro game.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I swear to you, I have not watched 1 single NFL game this season because of several factors.  #1 the anthem protests... which is as much me boycotting the networks that choose to show it as much as I am the NFL... and #2...  I hate the Dallas Cowboys, I really really do... but they suspended an innocent (by the court and law system of the USA) player because of an accusation...  They suspended Adrian Peterson for disciplining his child (maybe not properly, but that's not for us to judge)...  They discipline just to discipline and it has made me hate the pro game.  

Not only that, MavGrad, but the NFL recently did not suspend someone who was innocent. I can't remember who it was, but he was not arrested, charged, or anything like that. The NFL basically sent him a letter that said since he wasn't in legal trouble, he wasn't going to be suspended. It was a finger-wagging letter, but the overall point was that he didn't get suspended, and Zeke did.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sideliner said:

So ratings are down an average of ten percent. That accounts for all the Monday morning quarterbacks, fair weather fans and water cooler guys. I say GOOD RIDDANCE! They were never true fans to begin with...

Profound insight. Do you work in marketing for the NFL?   :D 

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, Sideliner said:

So ratings are down an average of ten percent. That accounts for all the Monday morning quarterbacks, fair weather fans and water cooler guys. I say GOOD RIDDANCE! They were never true fans to begin with...

I’m not a fair weather fan.  I have been for my entire life a Saints fan.  But when they took a knee and refused to take a stand as a team and looked like a bunch of Russian slobs playing American football during our anthem is when I knew I was out this season.  If you are going to do something, do it as a team... it doesn’t matter if I like it, but it looked like these guys were doing something just to do it...  reminds me of a stupid fad

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man...  they just keep digging that hole deeper: NFL rejects veterans group's Super Bowl ad urging people to stand for the anthem

The National Football League has rejected a Super Bowl advertisement from American Veterans urging people to stand for the national anthem.

The nation's largest veterans service organization had been invited by the NFL to place an ad in the Super Bowl LII program. AMVET's advertisement included a two-word message - "#PleaseStand."

"It's a simple, polite request that represents the sentiment of our membership, particularly those whose missing or paralyzed limbs preclude standing," wrote National Commander Marion Polk in a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

American Veterans accused the NFL of outright censorship by rejecting the advertisement.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy defended the league's decision to ban the American Veterans' advertisement noting that the game day program "is designed for fans to commemorate and celebrate the game, players, teams and the Super Bowl."

"It's never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement," McCarthy told Army Times.

So, the NFL believes that politely asking people to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner is akin to making a political statement?

The NFL has been rocked by national anthem protests throughout the season -- leading to a massive decline in television viewership and game day attendance. Still, the NFL and most team owners refused to order players to stand for the national anthem.

Instead, the commissioner and many owners shamefully turned a blind eye as football players took a knee and disrespected not only the flag, but the brave men and women defending our freedom.

Perhaps the Goodell was concerned that a “political statement” in the game day program might take away from the “political statements” being made on the football field when players take a knee.

"Freedom of speech works both ways. We respect the rights of those who choose to protest, as these rights are precisely what our members have fought - and in many cases died - for," Polk wrote. "But imposing corporate censorship to deny that same right to those veterans who have secured it for us all is reprehensible and totally beyond the pale."

McCarthy told Army Times they gave American Veterans the option of changing their proposed advertisement to read, "Please Stand for our Veterans." But the NFL said they never heard back from the group.

It's becoming increasingly clear that the NFL's disdain for American patriotism is not just isolated to the gridiron. It's apparently infested the front office.

"Veterans are good for more than just military aircraft flyovers, photo opportunities during halftime, or props to sell camouflage-style NFL apparel; although, the NFL's stance on not allowing the veterans' unfiltered voice to be heard says otherwise," Polk wrote to Goodell.

I wholeheartedly concur and might I suggest that freedom-loving Americans stand up to the National Football League by turning off the Super Bowl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After Censoring Super Bowl Ad from Veteran Group Aimed at Respecting the Anthem, NFL Establishes Owner-Player Committee on Social Justice

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/01/23/censoring-super-bowl-ad-veteran-group-aimed-respecting-anthem-nfl-establishes-owner-player-committee-social-justice/

• Mr. P changed the title to Gladys Knight slammed for singing the National Anthem