http://www.fox5ny.com/news/some-nba-teams-played-negro-national-anthem-at-games

The Negro National Athem?  And I thought the Star-Spangled Banner was for all Americans.  What happened to inclusiveness?  Maybe the Atlanta Hawks need to play Dixie?  No?  Why not?  Oh, it might offend some.  Well, I sure wouldn't want to go to a ballgame and hear this, or the British Nation Athem, or Australia's.   Not much sanity left.

Here's a speech from Theodore Roosevelt (imo, the best Roosevelt) about Hyphenated Americans.  It elaborates what I once read in Parade in the column by Marily Vos Savant, who was reputed to have the highest IQ ever recorded at the time.  She stated (and I'll paraphrase) that hyphenated Americans was the biggest danger to our way of life.

http://unhyphenatedamerica.org/2014/05/05/teddy-roosevelt-unhyphenated-america-speech/

Words to the Negro National Anthem  (honestly not a bad poem)

Lift ev'ry voice and sing,
Till earth and heaven ring.
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty;
Let our rejoicing rise,
High as the list'ning skies,
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us,
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun,
Let us march on till victory is won.

Maybe I'm totally off base, are y'all are missing the point.  I'll take yalls word, it's a great song.  That's not the point.  We're all Americans, and we all have a national anthem, or do we have one for black Americans, and one for everyone else?  As I understand it, they play the US NA, then the Negro NA, then........the Mexican NA, the Italian NA, the German NA, the Vietnamese NA, Great Britians NA?  So now, instead of going to a basketball game, you're going to a band recital.  Can anyone explain to me how referring to this song as the Negro Natl Anthem is going to help bring the races together?  It reminds me of the illegal immigrants who went to the soccer game between the US and Mexico in California, and waved big Mexican flags.  

Maybe it's just an Evadale thing.

6 hours ago, REBgp said:

Maybe I'm totally off base, are y'all are missing the point.  I'll take yalls word, it's a great song.  That's not the point.  We're all Americans, and we all have a national anthem, or do we have one for black Americans, and one for everyone else?  As I understand it, they play the US NA, then the Negro NA, then........the Mexican NA, the Italian NA, the German NA, the Vietnamese NA, Great Britians NA?  So now, instead of going to a basketball game, you're going to a band recital.  Can anyone explain to me how referring to this song as the Negro Natl Anthem is going to help bring the races together?  It reminds me of the illegal immigrants who went to the soccer game between the US and Mexico in California, and waved big Mexican flags.  

Maybe it's just an Evadale thing.

I can see both sides.  There is nothing wrong with the song itself ... calling it the "Negro Natl Anthem" and playing it at an event with all races present invites divisiveness instead of a sense of unity.  What if Caucasians had one called the "White Natl Anthem"?  Minorities would probably have the same response ... I agree with REB, in America there should be one National Anthem for all Americans ... anything else promotes divisiveness ... 

• Thanks 1

On March 2, 2018 at 10:19 PM, WestHardinfan1 said:

And it’s a really good song.......

So is Amarillo By Morning.  My Girl, Under the Boardwalk, God Bless the USA, Today I Started Loving You Again, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Wish They All Could Be California Girls, Monday Monday, Eight Days a Week, Yesterday, Take me Home Country Roads, Happiness Was Lubbock Texas in My Rearview Mirror, I Cross My Heart, Rag Doll, The Eyes of Texas, Rainey Night in Georgia, Sunshine on My Shoulders.

Okay, I got a blister on my finger, but at least you got a trip down memory lane.

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

They aren’t playing it as a replacement for the current one...  that’s why I have no issues at the moment 

But as Kirt stated, don't you think the title is divisive?  All I hear out of democrats is inclusiveness.  These are the same folks that tear down statues, and go into cardiac arrest over a flag.  It used to be live and let live. Now it's live, IF the Left says it's okay.  I guess I'm just tired of this one way street that has us Rolling Downhill Like a Snowball Headed for Hell.

3 minutes ago, REBgp said:

But as Kirt stated, don't you think the title is divisive?  All I hear out of democrats is inclusiveness.  These are the same folks that tear down statues, and go into cardiac arrest over a flag.  It used to be live and let live. Now it's live, IF the Left says it's okay.  I guess I'm just tired of this one way street that has us Rolling Downhill Like a Snowball Headed for Hell.

Sure, the name of it sounds racist and does not show inclusiveness... However, that name of it goes back a REALLY long time.  The original name of it was "Lift Every Voice and Sing".  But since his main audience was oppressed African American people it became known as the "Negro National Anthem."  

I am sure they use it as symbolic for the "Oppression" they think they are feeling, but today's Americans have absolutely no clue what those people went through.  But before this whole thing falls off the wagon, I don't really have an issue with this until they start trying to force people to replace our current National Anthem.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

They aren’t playing it as a replacement for the current one...  that’s why I have no issues at the moment 

Would you have a problem if they also had another one called the "White Natl Anthem" that was also not a replacement?  Why don't we also do a separate one for Asians, Latinos, Greeks, German, etc. while we are at it? See where that leads? ... 

29 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Would you have a problem if they also had another one called the "White Natl Anthem" that was also not a replacement?  Why don't we also do a separate one for Asians, Latinos, Greeks, German, etc. while we are at it? See where that leads? ... 

I wouldn't care either........

I don't even care that people kneel and disrespect the National Anthem... I care that the media chooses to show it and make a mockery of our country with it.

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

I wouldn't care either........

I don't even care that people kneel and disrespect the National Anthem... I care that the media chooses to show it and make a mockery of our country with it.

So the people doing it aren't making a mockery of our country?  ...

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

So the people doing it aren't making a mockery of our country?  ...

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

2 hours ago, REBgp said:

So is Amarillo By Morning.  My Girl, Under the Boardwalk, God Bless the USA, Today I Started Loving You Again, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Wish They All Could Be California Girls, Monday Monday, Eight Days a Week, Yesterday, Take me Home Country Roads, Happiness Was Lubbock Texas in My Rearview Mirror, I Cross My Heart, Rag Doll, The Eyes of Texas, Rainey Night in Georgia, Sunshine on My Shoulders.

Okay, I got a blister on my finger, but at least you got a trip down memory lane.

"Amarillo By Morning" should be played during each and every sporting event that takes place in the state of Texas. From pee wee soccer to Dallas Cowboy football.

Whether or not you like County Music, that's a damned glorious song. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I didn't even know any of those movies listed came out last  year...

Same.

Other than the Winston Churchill flick, they're all a buncha "meh." 

But hey, keep it up Hollywood. You don't need me. I'm just an upper-middle class father of five children. Probably not a good investment for you. UaN6imD.gif

• Like 2

Just now, AKA said:

Same.

Other than the Winston Churchill flick, they're all a buncha "meh." 

But hey, keep it up Hollywood. You don't need me. I'm just an upper-middle class father of five children. Probably not a good investment for you. UaN6imD.gif

Haha we are fortunate enough to go see movies with our 5 children as well... but you will never see a family movie without a heavy political agenda winning any of these awards anymore.

• LOL! 1

• Mr. P changed the title to Gladys Knight slammed for singing the National Anthem