The Smoakhouse Forums

I consider myself to be a 'liberal', but I can't see a game like that being considered a blow out or see the need to sanction the coach for his actions. I do think that to continue to play your starters in a game already won in the 4th quarter can be counterproductive or even dumb, especially if someone is injured, and it isn't good sportsmanship, more than likely. There are run rules in baseball and softball in Texas, and most places I have been will run the clock in some sub varsity situations, even being slow to stop it in some varsity games. I don't think it's 'liberal' to guard against demoralizing, unnecessary beat downs, in some cases. Depends on who my school is going against! 😁

As a coach, I would think you would want to get your other guys some reps, some experience, for when you might need them, if you have them. It doesn't talk about depth in this article. 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

I consider myself to be a 'liberal', but I can't see a game like that being considered a blow out or see the need to sanction the coach for his actions. I do think that to continue to play your starters in a game already won in the 4th quarter can be counterproductive or even dumb, especially if someone is injured, and it isn't good sportsmanship, more than likely. There are run rules in baseball and softball in Texas, and most places I have been will run the clock in some sub varsity situations, even being slow to stop it in some varsity games. I don't think it's 'liberal' to guard against demoralizing, unnecessary beat downs, in some cases. Depends on who my school is going against! 😁

As a coach, I would think you would want to get your other guys some reps, some experience, for when you might need them, if you have them. It doesn't talk about depth in this article. 

I will actually agree with  you on many of these points. As a head coach, I always wanted to get everyone as much experience as I could. So every blowout that I participated in usually meant everyone got to play, a lot. (BTW-I was on the wrong side of a lot of those blowouts). In Colorado, if  you are getting the heck beat out of you at halftime, the second half is a running clock, in football. I also know that in Texas, we have run rules for baseball & softball, which is a good thing. Not sure, but doesn't 6 man football have a "score rule" for halftime also?  

Six man games can end at the half, if one team is up by 45 or immediately in the 2nd half when one team gets up by 45. 

Been on both sides of the blow out, and one side is a lot more fun, for danged sure! 😀

25 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Six man games can end at the half, if one team is up by 45 or immediately in the 2nd half when one team gets up by 45. 

Been on both sides of the blow out, and one side is a lot more fun, for danged sure! 😀

True on that last line, True. 😀

7 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I will actually agree with  you on many of these points. As a head coach, I always wanted to get everyone as much experience as I could. So every blowout that I participated in usually meant everyone got to play, a lot. (BTW-I was on the wrong side of a lot of those blowouts). In Colorado, if  you are getting the heck beat out of you at halftime, the second half is a running clock, in football. I also know that in Texas, we have run rules for baseball & softball, which is a good thing. Not sure, but doesn't 6 man football have a "score rule" for halftime also?  

I agree with you somewhat, and if the game becomes one with only a two possession lead then put the starters back in.  It was brought up in the last few days that on a professional level and college level that might not be a good idea.  See Oilers vs. Bills and N.C. State vs. Houston when they slowed the clock down.  They should have kept going strong in a playoff game.  It's just  on my mind recently. In football that doesn't matter as was the case that was brought up the other day that was a true disservice to the coach who was playing third and fourth stringers that was fired for even them scoring at will.  I don't know about today, but I know in the past getting blown out by a better  opponent never hurt me as a player.  It just made me want to work harder to never let it happen again.  

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/06/go-ahead-make-a-martyr-out-of-michael-che/

Che’s already something of a pest to comedy critics, with a history of mocking complaints about allegedly harmful bits. He also defended Louis C.K.’s comeback. The guy is clearly not interested in moderating his act. With two high-profile controversies in two weeks—and an apparent eagerness to fight back—Che’s the man to watch.

Here’s exactly how this is going to go. Che, like any comedian worth his salt, will continue relishing the backlash. Needling sensitive keyboard warriors will become a regular schtick. The doubling down will become tripling down and quadrupling down. It will be good for his career. It will be good for “SNL,” which could seriously use some sparks of excitement.

And it’s all because most people do not accept the boundaries applied to comedy by its serial scolds, who enjoy outsize influence over culture thanks to streams of legitimizing media coverage. Che will thus be elevated to Comedy Martyr status, branded a Chappelleian resistor helping save humor from the haters.

To be perfectly clear: I don't watch Saturday Night Live. After watching some clips of Michael Che's performances, I don't find him very funny. It goes without saying that our politics likely do not line up

However, I defend Michael Che's right to say whatever he wants to get a laugh. THAT is the only rule of comedy: someone has to find it funny. The nature of comedy itself is to be over the line. The role of a comedian itself comes from the ancient tradition court jesters, who were the only people in the kingdom who could say anything to a monarch's face without fear of reprisal because they were considered "fools." 

I never heard of the guy before the SNL flareup.  I used to watch SNL religiously from it's 1st season to around 2000.  Then their humor started slipping.  It wasn't cutting edge, and that's what you need for comedy to work.  I know they've made fun of every President from Richard Nixon forward except BHO which they had kid gloves with him from excerpts I've seen and read about.  I know they have Alec Baldwin doing his impression of President Trump now, and I've heard it's back to lambasting the President as they did with all the others, but SNL just needs to fade away if they  can't bring viewers as they used to.  I know I sort of quit from 1984-1990, because that cast was terrible and those were my dating years.  I didn't even video tape them after watching  a couple of episodes from each season.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I never heard of the guy before the SNL flareup.  I used to watch SNL religiously from it's 1st season to around 2000.  Then their humor started slipping.  It wasn't cutting edge, and that's what you need for comedy to work.  I know they've made fun of every President from Richard Nixon forward except BHO which they had kid gloves with him from excerpts I've seen and read about.  I know they have Alec Baldwin doing his impression of President Trump now, and I've heard it's back to lambasting the President as they did with all the others, but SNL just needs to fade away if they  can't bring viewers as they used to.  I know I sort of quit from 1984-1990, because that cast was terrible and those were my dating years.  I didn't even video tape them after watching  a couple of episodes from each season.  

I don’t check it out nearly as much as I did years ago, but still watch it from Time to time. Che is a dry type of comic; subliminal with his humor. I get him!😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

13 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I don’t check it out nearly as much as I did years ago, but still watch it from Time to time. Che is a dry type of comic; subliminal with his humor. I get him!😂

My parents were fans from the original cast, and I can remember watching it during the Eddie Murphy/Joe Piscopo years. Eddie Murphy remains one of my favorite comedians, and I'll still occasionally listen to his classic routines. Inappropriate, vulgar, and wildly un-PC as they are. Dave's totally right though...  other than the couple years of Murphy/Piscopo, most of the early to mid '80s years were pretty bad.  

But I really became a fan in the mid-to-late '80s with the legendary cast of Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Jan Hooks, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, Jon Lovitz, Mike Myers, Kevin Nealon, Nora Dunn and Victoria Jackson. I think the series peaked in the early '90s when they rounded out the cast with guys like Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, David Spade, and Julia Sweeney. So much range and talent. 

If you watch classic episodes there's a sense of "no prisoners" in the sketch. Everyone and everything is fair game. Kooks of all stripes are lampooned. Right wing, left wing. Fringe weirdos and ordinary folks. No one is a protected class and there are no safe spaces. They hit Clinton and Carter just as hard as they hit Reagan and the Bushes. It was unmerciful and hilarious. 

The humor changed in the mid-to-late '00s. Around 2008-2009 to be exact. A pronounced tilt in one direction occurred.

I think the last truly great SNL skit was the one they did following the 2016 election: 

Didn't even know that show was still on the air.  Hasn't been funny in decades. At least since the days of adam sandler and crew.

33 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

Didn't even know that show was still on the air.  Hasn't been funny in decades. At least since the days of adam sandler and crew.

I’ve never thought Sandler was that funny...😳😜

3 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

I’ve never thought Sandler was that funny...😳😜

I always liked his turkey song he did on thanskgiving.  "Turkey for me,  turkey for you.  I eat turkey in a big brown shoe...." Yes I'm a fan of silly.

• Like 1

We haven't heard from this talentless clown for decades now, since he was relegated to the Professor Klumps movies. I wonder if he'll tell more "I'm gonna f__k Brooke Shields jokes or hurl more racist epithets at white New Yorkers...??  ( Brooke wouldn't let him anyway )

• Stinks 1

Thought some of you might find this interesting. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/grand-valley-state-assistant-morris-berger-resigns-after-hitler-controversy-215843062.html

Yahoo Sports

Grand Valley State assistant Morris Berger resigns after Hitler controversy

Sam Cooper
Yahoo Sports

(Grand Valley State University)
(Grand Valley State University)

Morris Berger has resigned from his position as offensive coordinator at Grand Valley State. 

Berger was suspended earlier this week for comments he made in an interview with the Grand Valley Lanthorn, the university’s student newspaper. Berger was asked which three historical figures he would like to have dinner with. His first answer was Adolf Hitler

Q: So you graduated from Drury with a degree in History, you’re a history guy. If you could have dinner with three historical figures, living or dead, who would they be? And I’m ruling out football figures.

A: This is probably not going to get a good review, but I’m going to say Adolf Hitler. It was obviously very sad and he had bad motives, but the way he was able to lead was second-to-none. How he rallied a group and a following, I want to know how he did that. Bad intentions of course, but you can’t deny he wasn’t a great leader.

That interview was published on Jan. 23, just three days after Berger was formally announced as the Lakers’ new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. The school announced its suspension for Berger on Jan. 27. On Thursday, the school said it reached a “mutual agreement” with Berger offering his resignation and the school accepting it. 

“Over the last 11 years I have taken great pride in the responsibility and privilege of being a teacher, coach, mentor and a valued member of the community,” Berger said in a statement. “I was excited and proud to be at Grand Valley, and am disappointed that I will not get the opportunity to help these players in 2020. However, I do not want to be a distraction to these kids, this great university or Coach Mitchell as they begin preparations for the upcoming season.”

In a statement, GVSU head coach Matt Mitchell said it was in the best interests of the team to accept Berger’s resignation. 

“Nothing in our background and reference checks revealed anything that would have suggested the unfortunate controversy that has unfolded,” Mitchell said. “This has been a difficult time for everyone. I accepted Coach Berger’s resignation in an effort for him to move on and for us to focus on the team and our 2020 season.”

Berger: ‘I mistakenly communicated something absurd’

In an “open letter” posted on his Twitter account earlier Thursday — before the school announced his resignation — Berger tried to explain himself. He said the answer, in which he said Hitler’s ability to lead was “second-to-none,” was a “poor effort to give an outside-the-box answer.”

“I mistakenly communicated something absurd. There is no justifiable excuse. It was insensitive and not my intent,” he wrote. “I failed myself, my parents and this university. The answer I attempted to give does not align with the values instilled in me by my parents, nor represent what I stand for or believe in. I mishandled the answer and fell way short of the mark.”

Below is the full letter, which includes an apology:

An Open Letter.

View image on Twitter

• Like 1

That's today's world. 

Someone asks you a question, puts perimeters around it--Not a sports hero. 

The person gives an answer. It becomes a problem. They lose their job. 

I have read the story several times. Did he make a mistake in saying that Hitler was a great leader? I would say yes. 

But is that a historical figure you'd want to have dinner with, just to learn or ask about what/why he did things--I think that could be something educational. 

I mean, we know so much about Hitler and all the bad things he did, I don't disagree that he was a terrible human. But what if you could ask him some of the following questions. 

Why would you invade Poland, when you had already returned all the Germans, out of the former German empire, to their former homeland--without any war like bloodshed?

How can a person like yourself sit at a restaurant and draw on a napkin a family car (designed like the Volkswagon Beetle) that every German should have, and then destroy families the way you did? 

What happened to you that would make you invade a foreign nation, instead of continuing to rebuild your own nation and helping your own people? 

We should all think about what Hitler would have been like had he never invaded Poland in 1939, to start World War 2. 

Having brought Germany back from their worst Depression ever--

Having built the autobahn---

Rebuilt the countries military--

Even worse, would he have developed the atomic bomb before the United States had the war not been going on. 

Lots of questions there. 

But again, knowing the history--I will state that he was a bad man, a terrible human being, a pure racist, and I would have fought against him had I been alive at the time also. So don't think I am siding with Hitler, but I do think that the report got the best of the coach, because the coach did not give a "politically correct" answer of a historical figure. 

I don't think he should have resigned.  I think he stated his answer as honestly as he could.  Hitler was a terrible person, but he was a mastermind of manipulation of people and had he let his generals do their job he could have destroyed the world.  Hitler was even admired in the United States by Time Magazine, Charles Lindbergh, and Henry Ford.  https://time.com/5414055/american-nazi-sympathy-book/ .  As a person that loves History, I would like to interview him  Sun Tzu, Napoleon, George Patton, George A. Custer, Erwin Rommel, Alexander the Great, Xerxes, Cyrus the Great, Peter the Great, Leonidas, Hannibal, Julius Caesar, Atilla the Hun, William the Conqueror, William Wallace, George Washington, Henry "Light-Horse" Lee, Benedict Arnold,  Robert E. Lee, William T. Sherman, Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, and other great generals and tacticians throughout history.  One of my favorite games of all time was Risk, and while battles are done with the roll of a dice I enjoy the tactical aspect of it far better than Chess or even Stratego.