The Great East Texas Blizzard Of 2018

Stoney

There was not a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk to be bought. Unless you can milk a soy or almond and think pita makes darn fine fried baloney sammich. Stay tuned to the latest edition of “As The World Warms” sponsored by Al Bore’s Dairy Queen’s.

Tyler is shut down. 69 and the loop north. You can’t take 155 north from Winona to Big Sandy, they have you detouring through Gladewater only for you to get to Gladewater and inform you that there’s a big wreck on 80 taking you to Big Sandy.

:munch:.........hehehehehehe......watchin all this go down in East Texas.....You guys are acting like it's a FULL BLOWN Snow storm!!!!....it will ALL be over by tonight....and the sun will come out and it will be 70 degrees tomorrow and it will ALL be a memory.....have to laugh as I am sucking on my coffee and drinking hot coco.....it's -3 at 2PM and wind coming out of the north....NO snow today....BUT it snowed last Friday and it's STILL HERE......we having school.....:woot::woot:

• LOL! 1

18 minutes ago, Matthias said:

It ain't you I'm worried about. It's the other ####s ya gotta watch out fer.   :D 

Ain't that right Mathis......go on down to Houston at the I-10 bridge over the ship channel.....and watch the "circus come to town"....those idiots think that white stuff on the bridge is "traction"....and they SPEED UP!!!!!

On 1/15/2018 at 1:57 PM, WestHardinfan1 said:

You bout to experience one of those TEXAS weather moments.......:woot:

Friday too, it's suppose to be back in the 70's.  I can guarantee that back in my day I would have been in school.  Sleet didn't start collecting on the roads until noon, but it was all gone by 4 pm.  I would not doubt for a second they close the schools tomorrow too.  Heck many of the businesses were closed to.  I've had to go to work in much worse road conditions than this.  This is child's play to me, and I've only driven in sleet or snow 11 times in my life starting in 1987, because we didn't have any from 1984-1986 or I just stayed at home.  

5 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Tyler is shut down. 69 and the loop north. You can’t take 155 north from Winona to Big Sandy, they have you detouring through Gladewater only for you to get to Gladewater and inform you that there’s a big wreck on 80 taking you to Big Sandy.

How bad is it up there ?  I remember the sleet storm in December of 1987, and they didn't close down highways with a good inch of sleet on the road.  That was driving at night to the teen club White Knights on 5th street in Tyler from Gilmer with some buddies of mine at the time.  

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

My son lives in Mt Pleasant, ... he told me they had over 4" of snow this morning ....

I remember the snow of 1978, and we had 6 inches.  My Momma took me to my cousins that lived at the Dundee Ranch in Longview to stay with them, and we were able to get around.  I had more fun dirt bike riding the next day than I ever did in the summertime.  

3 hours ago, ManCaveDweller said:

Ain't that right Mathis......go on down to Houston at the I-10 bridge over the ship channel.....and watch the "circus come to town"....those idiots think that white stuff on the bridge is "traction"....and they SPEED UP!!!!!

I think they shut that down as the did the Beltway 8 Tollway since it's all elevated.  I decided I wasn't going over any of those bridges and took the frontage road.  

• Thanks 1

It’s a mess. Folks being out on the road that have no business operating a motor vehicle in these conditions. The rain and ice before the snow has the roads pretty slicked up. Another night of getting down to the teens is gonna have this stuff froze up again. I’m just gonna wait until Thursday before I do anything.

33 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

If i lived in a more urban area, Id be out right now with my nylon infinite loop tow strap making a little extra walking around money pulling people out the ditch.  But, here in Joaquin most people have the sense to stay home or have 4x4's of their own so im out of luck.  

6 o clock new had people out doing that same thing. They also had a 18 wheeler taking out the red light by Lobo Stadium when he couldn’t make it up the hill and slid backwards into it. It’s supposed to be down to 10,12 degrees tonight? I can feel my anal glaucoma acting up. Yep, I just can’t see my butt going into work tomorrow.

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I just got back in the house from feeding cows ... slipped on the ice crossing the cattle guard closing the gate and busted my #### ... I'm going to be sore for a few days ....

I Rx 1/2 pint of Doomer's 100 Proof Muscle Relaxer taken internally twice daily for a week; That should help, so long  as don't fall on your butt again...👌

• LOL! 1

13 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I just got back in the house from feeding cows ... slipped on the ice crossing the cattle guard closing the gate and busted my #### ... I'm going to be sore for a few days ....

I've repeatedly searched YouTube and have yet to see the video of this event.  By george, I need a good laugh.  Post the video :)   Hey Kirt, I got some Deep Heat - want me to Fed Ex it up there, you crazy old man.

Btw, it's our 3rd snow down here in the swamp this year.  That's a record.  We got a good dousing here in Evadale.  Having spent 19 months in Colorado Springs, I know how dangerous driving in this mess is, but to many road lizards down here don't.  Saw a news report in Bmt from 3pm until 10pm they'd had 73 minor crashes, 12 major crashes, and 1 fatality.

14 hours ago, ManCaveDweller said:

Greezy.....THAT's......32..33...34....35...36.........5 degrees over freezing.........no wait.....FOUR degrees over freezing....my brain is in LOCKDOWN from the cold up here in Kansas!!!!!

Member what Clint Eastwood said in The Outlaw Josey Wells?  There's 3 types of suns/sons in Kansas.  Sunshine, Sunflowers and Sonsab--ches.  Hehe.