2018 2A softball Thread...

bigj

Let' get this going... 

My top 3. Woden, Martin's Mill, Grapeland. 

I heard Joaquin pitcher may have moved?

Woden brings back a lot. 

Martin's Mill brings back a lot and a really good infield.  But lost there pitcher. 

Grapeland looks to rebound after losing a shocker in the first rd. Grapeland brings back 6 starters and there pitcher. I believe She only gave up one hit in that Alto game. Grapeland adds five Freshman. Three of them will start in the infield 3rd SS, and 2nd. All three are studs and all will eventually receive D1 offers. Two of them already have. They are fun to watch and all three can hit bombs. 

On 1/22/2018 at 11:55 PM, bigj said:

Let' get this going... 

Woden brings back a lot. 

Martin's Mill brings back a lot and a really good infield.  But lost there pitcher. 

Grapeland looks to rebound after losing a shocker in the first rd. Grapeland brings back 6 starters and there pitcher. I believe She only gave up one hit in that Alto game. Grapeland adds five Freshman. Three of them will start in the infield 3rd SS, and 2nd. All three are studs and all will eventually receive D1 offers. Two of them already have. They are fun to watch and all three can hit bombs. 

Yes. Joaquin’s pitcher, a junior this year, transferred to North Desoto, Louisiana. Due to that, and graduation, the Lady Rams will likely start as many as seven freshmen. That includes a freshman pitcher who transferred from Alto. She and the other six have played a ton of tournament ball together. We will basically be fielding a whole new team. I do expect them to be very competitive, but very young at the same time. I do agree with you on the top three. We won’t really know where we stand until we get into district play. 

On 1/22/2018 at 11:55 PM, bigj said:

Let' get this going... 

Woden brings back a lot. 

What offers?

Not trying to be rude, but Grapeland's play is going to have to catch up with the rhetoric.  I hope they make a run, don't get me wrong.  Seems to always be their year.  

8 minutes ago, middleoftheroad said:

What offers?

Not trying to be rude, but Grapeland's play is going to have to catch up with the rhetoric.  I hope they make a run, don't get me wrong.  Seems to always be their year.  

One has been offered by Texas Southern. Not sure about the other two...

Grapeland has been young for a couple of years now, but the talent level is high. It seems to be the group that were inspired to play when Groholski and Westbrook led the team to State. A lot of girls became extremely interested, but this is the group that was really young and has had more time to develop. 

If they can put it all together, they will make a deep run again. Last year was their first one-and-done in over a decade.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:52 AM, middleoftheroad said:

What offers?

I would hope Grapeland had earned a little respect after all these years. But I guess not.

Just come watch!!!

The Pitcher, and the three freshman have played this summer, and this fall from California to Florida and have played the best competiion week in week out.  I hope that has prepared them for this high school season. 

One of the freshman has recived invites from these schools. ULL, UT, Univeristy of Lamar, Old Miss, and Univeristy of Louisiana Tech. She has recived two offers from two of those schools. She will go back to the other three this summer. 

15-2 vs Mexia. Cadie belle had 12 k''s. Kierra, Cierra, Cheney, Cadie belle, and Maci all had 5 hits each.  Four of those are the new Freshman. They smashed the ball tonight. Somethimg we didn't do last year against anyone..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:20 PM, bigj said:

I would hope Grapeland had earned a little respect after all these years. But I guess not.

Just come watch!!!

The Pitcher, and the three freshman have played this summer, and this fall from California to Florida and have played the best competiion week in week out.  I hope that has prepared them for this high school season. 

One of the freshman has recived invites from these schools. ULL, UT, Univeristy of Lamar, Old Miss, and Univeristy of Louisiana Tech. She has recived two offers from two of those schools. She will go back to the other three this summer. 

That is an impressive offer list. What select team do those young ladies play for?

Sandiettes opened the tournament with a 1-0 loss against the Class 3A #9 ranked Woodville Lady Eagles. 8-0 win over the Class 4A Center Lady Rough Riders. A 2-0 loss 5A Nederland Lady Bulldogs. 0-0 tie to 3A Corrigan Camden Lady Bulldogs. 6-1 loss to 5A New Caney Lady Eagles.  4-3 loss to #2 4A Hudson Lady Hornets. 

Tonight they beat 4A Henderson 10-2. 

Whitehouse Tournament...

Grapeland 8-0 over Huntington. 

Grapeland 2-2 with Jacksonville.. I coach the Jacksonville pitcher This summer and Grapeland will not face a faster pitcher in 2A. 

Grapeland 4-3 over Overton. We have to adjust to the slow pitching.

36 minutes ago, bigj said:

Whitehouse Tournament...

Grapeland 8-0 over Huntington. 

Grapeland 2-2 with Jacksonville.. I coach the Jacksonville pitcher This summer and Grapeland will not face a faster pitcher in 2A. 

Grapeland 4-3 over Overton. We have to adjust to the slow pitching.

5 dropped fly balls benefited y'all quit a bit.  Y'all never led until the last hit of the game.  I think we played well against Grapeland.  

Y'all did look very good. I like what I seen. Overton kids looked to be well coached and they made some good plays on some hard hit balls. I believe we will see y'all deep in. the playoffs.

But I'll say it again we have to learn to adjust to slower pitching. That is what hurt us last year facing pitchers that throw in the upper 40s to 50. The three games we faced the night before had pitcher that could top out at 60 and the Jacksonville kid could hit 65. Same thing in the Lufkin tournament. Nobody throwing slow. I'm proud of our girls they showed they can come out with a win. That's what good teams do. 

We beat Whitehouse 2-1 yesterday. 

5-4-2 on the season. We have faced 4 5A, 4 4A, 2 3A, 1 2A. 

2A #15 Overton #2 4A Hudson #9 3A Woodville. 

On 2/23/2018 at 1:31 AM, bigj said:

Sandiettes opened the tournament with a 1-0 loss against the Class 3A #9 ranked Woodville Lady Eagles. 8-0 win over the Class 4A Center Lady Rough Riders. A 2-0 loss 5A Nederland Lady Bulldogs. 0-0 tie to 3A Corrigan Camden Lady Bulldogs. 6-1 loss to 5A New Caney Lady Eagles.  4-3 loss to #2 4A Hudson Lady Hornets. 

Tonight they beat 4A Henderson 10-2. 

That’s a tough schedule for a 2A school 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, bigj said:

Y'all did look very good. I like what I seen. Overton kids looked to be well coached and they made some good plays on some hard hit balls. I believe we will see y'all deep in. the playoffs.

But I'll say it again we have to learn to adjust to slower pitching. That is what hurt us last year facing pitchers that throw in the upper 40s to 50. The three games we faced the night before had pitcher that could top out at 60 and the Jacksonville kid could hit 65. Same thing in the Lufkin tournament. Nobody throwing slow. I'm proud of our girls they showed they can come out with a win. That's what good teams do. 

We beat Whitehouse 2-1 yesterday. 

5-4-2 on the season. We have faced 4 5A, 4 4A, 2 3A, 1 2A. 

2A #15 Overton #2 4A Hudson #9 3A Woodville. 

I was impressed that y'all played so well with such a young team.  Nice job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

17-7-2

Latexo 13-1 
Kennard 19-0 
Lovelady 17-0
Centerville 19-4 

I think the young ones have finally found there groove and the team is clicking. Only bad thing is all these games are only 3 inning games and Grapeland scored most all the runs in the very first inning. I know the scores are pretty big blow outs but our district has a few good pitchers that throw in the low 60 and will be going on to college.  Grapeland just playing some good softball right now. I heard Slocum beat Woden during spring break. 

8 minutes ago, bigj said:

17-7-2

Latexo 13-1 
Kennard 19-0 
Lovelady 17-0
Centerville 19-4 

I think the young ones have finally found there groove and the team is clicking. Only bad thing is all these games are only 3 inning games and Grapeland scored most all the runs in the very first inning. I know the scores are pretty big blow outs but our district has a few good pitchers that throw in the low 60 and will be going on to college.  Grapeland just playing some good softball right now. I heard Slocum beat Woden during spring break. 

Centerville is top-25 team in the polls. Latexo has a pretty good pitcher if I recall correctly, but not much else around her.