👎 Thanks Obama!

1stSuperScot

Essentially the stoner would get a citation and fine, and have his stash confiscated, but not be arrested or be subject to jailtime. Same as a speeding ticket.

Our prisons are full of people who aren't really criminals, they just like to party.

We've been sniping back and forth on a couple of other issues, but I agree with you completely on this. Our prisons are bursting at the seams with people who did nothing more dangerous to society than smoke dope, sit on the couch and laugh at inapropriate times.

Our prisons are full of people who aren't really criminals, they just like to party.

Criminal=relating to, involving, or being a crime

Crime=an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden by public law

Thanks to Webster's for the above :thumbsup:

The last time I checked, it was against the law in this state to possess marijuana.

How would your insurance go up if you don't get a DUI?

The more Insurance companies have to pay out in general will cause rate hikes. The main reason for the seatbelt law is not just to save lives but to save money. I think decriminalizing marijuana will put more drunks on the road, causing more accidents.

The more Insurance companies have to pay out in general will cause rate hikes. The main reason for the seatbelt law is not just to save lives but to save money. I think decriminalizing marijuana will put more drunks on the road, causing more accidents.

And my counter to that would be that the current law doesn't really discourage anybody from smoking weed that wants to smoke weed. People get DUIs for being high already.

Criminal=relating to, involving, or being a crime

Crime=an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden by public law

Thanks to Webster's for the above :thumbsup:

The last time I checked, it was against the law in this state to possess marijuana.

If it were against the law to read books, would that make the reader a criminal? I'm sorry, I just don't think smokers hurt anyone. I don't want to imprison someone who isn't hurting anyone or stealing anything.

I'm not arguing the morality of marijuana use. I know that those who enforce the law have bigger fish to fry than to deal with a stoner who has passed out on his couch in his own residence. I would rather that jail cell be occupied by the skidplate who beats his wife and kids. But, according to our current laws, that same stoner (who isn't "beating" on anybody) is violating the law of the land, which is a criminal act.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as the act isn't harmful to those uninvolved. Let the stoner pay a hefty citation to the courts, and fill our jail and prison cells with child molesters.

I think this may be the first time I've ever changed anyone's mind on the political forum.

It is a good day, indeed.

Well, you don't decriminalize it for someone who is possessing a certain amount. That's the way it works now - if you have I think 4 ounces then you're subject to prosecution for selling, which is of course a more serious charge.

Rufus you're still operating under the assumption that decriminalization will lead to more smokers. I don't think that's really the case.

Well, you don't decriminalize it for someone who is possessing a certain amount. That's the way it works now - if you have I think 4 ounces then you're subject to prosecution for selling, which is of course a more serious charge.

Rufus you're still operating under the assumption that decriminalization will lead to more smokers. I don't think that's really the case.

I'm afraid it might. I feel now we have somewhat of a deterrent. If it's no different that a traffic ticket, more kids may give it a try. Because it's just a little fine and no criminal record.

I'm afraid it might. I feel now we have somewhat of a deterrent. If it's no different that a traffic ticket, more kids may give it a try. Because it's just a little fine and no criminal record.

Well I think you're right that the deterrant would need to be stiffer for minors. Not sure how that would work, exactly. Maybe take away their driver's licenses?

Well I think you're right that the deterrant would need to be stiffer for minors. Not sure how that would work, exactly. Maybe take away their driver's licenses?

Maybe. Then parents would be po'd because they would have to drive jr around. You know for marijuana, the laws, like you said before are not too stiff, so why change them?

Maybe. Then parents would be po'd because they would have to drive jr around. You know for marijuana, the laws, like you said before are not too stiff, so why change them?

You forgot we were talking about the overcrowding in prisons and courts.

What happens to someone who doesn't pay their speeding ticket?

I think a warrant is issued and they go to jail when they're caught. My point is, then you have these people in jail that haven't "hurt anyone or stolen anything", which ruins the whole overcowded jail argument.

I think this may be the first time I've ever changed anyone's mind on the political forum.

It is a good day, indeed.

Sorry Bo....you didn't change my mind. I still believe in the letter of the law. I just think we agree on taxing the hell out of those who sit around in their underwear and smoke pot.

Pot should be legal. Taxes are the only way to get people behind legalization/decriminalization.

Never smoked it, never wanted to, didn't hang out with the wrong crowd, but through my life I've seen plenty of "upstanding" people who smoked dope. It's not the same as alcohol but it is. There's an unequivocal difference between a person under the influence of marijuana versus a person under the influence of LSD or crack cocaine.

Don't smoke it in public, don't smoke then drive, minors shouldn't be allowed to smoke it, places can get licensed to sell and/or provide a place to smoke it.

Treat it like alcohol and take down the idiots not responsible enough to use it.

I think a warrant is issued and they go to jail when they're caught. My point is, then you have these people in jail that haven't "hurt anyone or stolen anything", which ruins the whole overcowded jail argument.

A whole lot less than there are now... How many people just don't pay their speeding tickets?

• Mr. P changed the title to 👎 Thanks Obama!