👎 Thanks Obama!

1stSuperScot

Same could be said for alcohol. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer for the irresponsibility of a few.

Crackheads turn into thieves and turn to selling it to make money even to little kids. Ive never heard of alcohol having that effect. On that note, we should come down harder on drunk drivers.

Crackheads turn into thieves and turn to selling it to make money even to little kids. Ive never heard of alcohol having that effect. On that note, we should come down harder on drunk drivers.

And that's why I 100% believe crack being illegal is for the greater good. The effects of cocaine on the body are FAR greater than that of marijuana. I wasn't comparing crack to alcohol; you used the gateway drug argument and I made the argument that alcohol is as much of a gateway drug as marijuana.

I'm willing to bet you there's very few pot smokers out there who never drank before they lit up .....

Let me offer a slightly different perspective. Alcohol is legal and yet it kills thousands of people every year, not only from alcohol related diseases, but from the results of drunks driving. Even in a small town like Paris, I see tons of automobile accidents, many resulting in fatalities every year.

Now, what evidence is there to make me believe that legalizing or decriminalizing pot is not going to cause the same thing. If I'm a stoner (which I'm not), my mindset is going to be "Hey, I'm not going to prison now if I get caught. I'll smoke more and more often. I'll probably even smoke and drive."

Don't throw up the arguement that stiff laws will be implemented for those who smoke and drive. Those laws are already in place for alcohol, and yet BluePirate and I see our share of fatalities due to alcohol related accidents.

Sorry, not buying it.

Couldn't find the smilie with red eyes?

No, he couldn't find the smiley munching through a bag of Tostitos like there was a diamond ring in the bottom of the bag.

The same laws cover marijuana.

The difference being pot is illegal, alcohol is not. Alcohol kills innocent people. So does pot. What makes you think decriminalizing it is going to make that death toll do anything but go up?

Hey you don't have to be high to love Doritos.

No. But it sure helps.

The difference being pot is illegal, alcohol is not. Alcohol kills innocent people. So does pot. What makes you think decriminalizing it is going to make that death toll do anything but go up?

If you're trying to say pot makes people drive as poorly as alcohol does, then where are all the pot-related DUI arrests? How do cars even stay on the road in Austin?

"Death toll" may be a bit strong. Anyway, decriminalizing is not the same as legalizing. The people who will smoke if it's decriminalized are the people who smoke already. They just won't clog up the justice system.

If you're trying to say pot makes people drive as poorly as alcohol does, then where are all the pot-related DUI arrests? How do cars even stay on the road in Austin?

"Death toll" may be a bit strong. Anyway, decriminalizing is not the same as legalizing. The people who will smoke if it's decriminalized are the people who smoke already. They just won't clog up the justice system.

Are you inferring there are no, or at least very few pot-related DUI arrests? I'm sure you have the stats to back that.

I understand the difference between legalizing and decriminalization. But you're making some pretty bold assumptions about what decriminalization will and won't cause.

Drugged Driving Safer than Drunk Driving?

by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

Drugged Driving is safer than drunk driving in the minds of many teenagers.

In reality marijuana can affect concentration, perception and reaction time up to 24 hours after it’s smoked says the federal director of drug policies, John Walters. That’s much, much longer than alcohol can affect behavior.

But while marijuana might affect behavior much longer than alcohol and be much more dangerous for driving, it is much safer in that people are very rarely arrested for driving while drugged.

A drug counselor and recovering addict, Allison Whitney of Atlanta, says that she got into several crashes as a teenager because of smoking pot while driving. Although she would get pulled over for erratic driving, police would always let her go because she passed breathalyzer tests. 1

Ms. Whitney says marijuana is especially attractive to teenagers because it’s easier to hide than alcohol, a person can get high faster than they can get intoxicated, and parents don’t detect marijuana. In addition, recent nation-wide research has found it easier for young people to buy marijuana than beer because of increased enforcement of laws against the sale of alcoholic beverages to underage persons. 2

A nationwide survey of middle and high school students found that 30% believed that planning to drive was a reason not to drink. However, only about half that number (18%) believed that planning to drive was a reason not to use drugs. 3

Drugs and driving may be a bigger problem than generally recognized. A New England Journal of Medicine report on drivers without alcohol in their systems who were stopped by police for reckless driving found that 45% had marijuana and 25% had cocaine in their systems. 4

A study by the Insurance Institute for Traffic Safety of interstate tractor-trailer drivers found that 15% of all drivers had marijuana, 12% had non-prescription stimulants, 5% had prescription stimulants, 2% had cocaine, and fewer than 1% had alcohol in their systems. 5

A National Transportation Safety Board investigation of fatal truck accidents found that stimulants were the most frequently unidentified (15%) drug class among fatally injured truck drivers. 6

The head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration encourages states to test for drugs after a crash. Currently, very few states ever test for illegal drugs under any circumstances.

It appears that very few illegal drug users are ever apprehended for driving while drugged. It’s a virtually ignored problem so it’s understandable that teenagers think driving while drugged is safer than driving while drunk.

• Mr. P changed the title to 👎 Thanks Obama!