What happened in Overton this year to go from 8-3 to 1-9?

spudaroo

Basically a "perfect storm" of bad luck for a small school.

1.) Several returning starters quit the team in the offseason, a few others quit as the season progressed.

2.) One of the best athletes on the team was suspended for disciplinary issues.

As a result, by season's end there were freshmen and/or inexperienced underclassmen starting all over the field. The best receiver on the team was playing lineman. The QB had never played the position before, the backup was an inexperienced sophomore.

Without going into personal details that are none of anyone's business, each player quit for completely unrelated reasons to any other. There was no "mass exodus" for any single reason. Just bad luck and worse timing. 

8 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Basically a "perfect storm" of bad luck for a small school.

1.) Several returning starters quit the team in the offseason, a few others quit as the season progressed.

2.) One of the best athletes on the team was suspended for disciplinary issues.

As a result, by season's end there were freshmen and/or inexperienced underclassmen starting all over the field. The best receiver on the team was playing lineman. The QB had never played the position before, the backup was an inexperienced sophomore.

Without going into personal details that are none of anyone's business, each player quit for completely unrelated reasons to any other. There was no "mass exodus" for any single reason. Just bad luck and worse timing. 

I hear ya. And people who quit are like people who lie, they have serious character flaws, are narcissistic and they will only get better at leaving.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

I hear ya. And people who quit are like people who lie, they have serious character flaws, are narcissistic and they will only get better at leaving.

Welllllll, I'm not going to comment on that. ;) 

But I will say this: I don't know what any coach could have done differently in the aforementioned situations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudaroo said:

What happened in Overton this year to go from 8-3 to 1-9?

What Matthias said is true. Lots of bad luck and scenarios. 

However that kid that was suspended had been also suspended indefinitely by the previous coaching staff. Not saying they are totally related, but they could be.

Also kids were telling my kid that the weight room was not made a priority like it had been in years past. 

Perfect storm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SlingTheRock said:

What Matthias said is true. Lots of bad luck and scenarios. 

However that kid that was suspended had been also suspended indefinitely by the previous coaching staff. Not saying they are totally related, but they could be.

Also kids were telling my kid that the weight room was not made a priority like it had been in years past. 

Perfect storm.

Wrong.  The weight room is used now more than the last staff ever thought of using it.  Actually, that's why some have quit.  Crying about having to lift.  Don't want to put the work in.  Trust me, the ones who left were absolutely no help at all.  The ones who didn't play from the start were the ones that were missed during the season.  That being said, those who were thrown into the fire this year, had better grow a pair before next season.  Because u left them at home on Fridays last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to watch several Overton games this year and I will list my thoughts. With that being said, in no way am I bashing coaches, kids, parents, or anyone.

1) Losing their "best athlete" was a blow to morale of the team, along with the ones that left. The last two games I watched, the team seemed to be fired up and ready to play.

2) Inexperience at QB was evident, but seemed to get better as their season went on. The running game was not fast, but it wasn't terrible. The defense seemed to lack size.

3) Several kids on the team were tried at numerous positions. This may have been for lack of depth across the entire team, and the coaches may have been experimenting with this. Several of the freshmen I saw on the sidelines were not put in any of the games I saw, and for good reason, they seemed extremely small. I assume the coach was letting them learn the game without having to have them be exposed to injury. I am unsure if there are any youth football leagues in the area, but If some of these kids have never played before their freshman year, contact along with the speed of the game can certainly be an eye opening experience. Not having a JV team hurts.

4) I think if the coach sticks with the program and gets a few kids on board to trust the process, they might be able to rebuild and have a great program. If not, well, they will continue to lose players and community support. No one likes to lose, kids, coaches or the community. It was a down year from the start, but the kids that stuck with it played a great last game and pulled out a win. It may take some time and effort from everyone, but they will get back to where they need to be.

Again, I am NOT bashing the coaches, kids, parents or community. I like Overton and I hope they turn things around.