Jeffress suggests Democrats may worship pagan god Moloch, 'who allowed for child sacrifice'
© Getty Images

Pastor Robert Jeffress praised President Trump in an interview as the “most pro-religious liberty” president the country has ever had while also suggesting that Democrats might worship “the pagan god of the Old Testament Moloch,” who, he added, “allowed for child sacrifice.” 

Jeffress made the remarks in an interview on Todd Starnes's Fox News Radio program Monday.

In the interview, Jeffress, who has long been a staunch supporter of Trump, railed against Democrats in Congress for launching an impeachment inquiry against the president after he said he asked Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky about looking into former Vice President Joe Biden, a Democratic presidential contender.

“It's very clear to me that the average American citizen loves this president and they're not buying into all of this impeachment nonsense,” Starnes said.

“They're not,” Jeffress, who sits on Trump's Evangelical Advisory Board, responded. “And look, I heard it over and over again like you. I spoke to thousands of these people last week and the reason they support this president is not because they're religious hypocrites. It's not because they think he is perfect. They know he's not perfect just like none of us is perfect. But they appreciate the strong Christian stands he takes.”

“He is without doubt the most pro-life, pro-religious liberty, pro-Israel, pro-consumer president we have ever had, and they don't want to see this warrior in a sense removed from his place of leadership in our country,” he claimed. “There is a fear that if the left ever regains control of this country again our nation is finished.” 

Starnes suggested in response that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) “and her cronies” wanted to “go after and target Christians in America” based on recent legislation “they've been trying to shove down the throats of the good people of California” and the Equality Act, legislation that seeks to ban anti-LGBT discrimination.

Jeffress went on to warn that if “the left ever gets in control again it's not going to be incremental change we see.”

The pastor claimed that he believes Democrats would “come after conservatives with a vengeance,” saying: “They have said they're going to undo everything this president has done. And think about what he has done in the pro-life area, the sweeping religious liberty executive order he signed.”

Starnes then pondered aloud whether “that's why we are seeing these unrelenting attacks on President Trump more so than any other Republican, in at least modern history.” 

“The Democrats knew they couldn't beat him at the ballot box in 2016,” Jeffress told Starnes. “They are becoming increasingly aware of the fact that they can't beat him in 2020. Either impeachment is the only option they have to remove Donald J. Trump from office.” 

Jeffress also specifically called out Pelosi during the interview after she said she was prayerful over the weekend as the House continues its impeachment inquiry into Trump. 

"This is a very sad time for our country. There is no joy in this," she said Saturday, according to ABC News. "We must be somber, we must be prayerful and we must pursue the facts further to make a decision as to, did this violate the Constitution of the United States? Which I believe it did."

Jeffress called Pelosi “sanctimonious” after her comments and likened her to a “pyromaniac with a match in his hand.”

“That reminds me of an arsonist a pyromaniac with a match in his hand about to set a building on fire saying now pray would need that the destruction I'm about to cause isn't too severe."

“We just assumed they're praying to God,” Starnes replied. “I'm not quite sure. I don't know, Dr. Jeffress. I mean they booed God, tried to vote him out of the party platform.”

"Well, apparently the god they worship is the pagan god of the Old Testament Moloch, who allowed for child sacrifice,” Jeffress said.

"The god of the Bible doesn't sanction the killing of millions and millions of children in the womb, I think the god they are worshiping is the god of their own imagination,” he added.